Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
They moved about 1/4 mile west of their original store location, they are now between the paint store and the old PD station.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Stopped in there yesterday to pick up a couple of boxes of 22mag. Heavyset guy behind the counter talking with some old-timer customers about the good old days. Approached the counter and he promptly waited on me. After years of dealing with some gems like Marty and those arrogant salesmen at edelmans, I don't expect to have the warm and fuzzy feeling dealing with gun stores..and, of course, bensons was true to form. I,m more than willing to accept that iget my merchandise and I pay for it without feeling that I am so valued a customer. But it wouldn't hurt them to smile and greet you like you aren't an inconvienance to them and say thank you. I can understand how some of you newer shooters are put off by that attitude. Guess I just are too jaded and don't expect much more.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Just like any other store, Bensons has both good & not so good sales people.  MOST of them, in my experience are good.  It's the store I frequent the most often.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I dropped off a revolver for repair last week and ran into some interesting characters. You need to cut the gun shops some slack as there are a lot of crazies wondering in off the street. I caught the tail-end of a rant as someone was waiving his hands, heading for the exit, yelling about "exercising my constitutional rights..." I was not privy to the rest of the conversation but the person behind the counter seemed relieved that he was leaving. Another group was ahead of me oggling the heavy caliber revolvers and asked the salesman to put aside what appeared to be a police riot shotgun. He was asking what types of accessories he could attach to the thing. I'm thinking, Honestly what are you going to do with that?

The person who spoke to me was quite pleasant and helpful - no attitude, no bad vibes - couldn't have been nicer. My only complaint is that I'm still waiting to hear back on my repair. There aren't a plethora of pistolsmiths on Long Island. Bensons advertised two full-time gunsmiths... still waiting...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive benn shooting for two years now and love it. After meeting some of the members of the Medford range I joined. When work was slow I would go every day. Regretfully saying I haven't been going because of a certain employee they have working there. I asked Bensons to talk to this person and nothing has changed. I hope the new year brings a new attitude.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Rugs said:
Has anyone had any problems with Charlie at the Medford range.
I really think you probably are reading Charlie wrong. He has a very strange/dry sense of humor. He says odd/gruff things . . . but he really is kidding around and I have found him to be a pretty nice guy in his own strange/different way. Don't let him bother you . . . give hm a bit of his own medicine back. Have a good time at the range . . . its a great indoor range these days.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Most, not ALL but most of the gun stores on LI are either owned by xyzor have a few working there. I dont get it, im a big supporter of buying local and keeping the small guys going. But ill be damned if im going to come into your store pay significantly more for items and your going to treat me poorly or disrespectfully. I worked retail for 9 years and always treated customers in a good way even if ther were a PIA or I knew they werent money spenders. Between dicks, walmart, and the internet some of these guys are lucky they are still able to provide for their
families, one would think they would appeciat
e every dollar spent.

Mod edit. cursing

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I used to go to Benson's for everything, but after purchasing ~5 rifles from them and bringing in two additional buying customers I still caught an bad service the last two times I attempted to deal with them.

Now I go to Suffolk Shooting Supply. Much smaller shop, but they have better prices, and they treat you like you expect to be treated from a place where you spend hundreds of dollars every time you visit.

So maybe I just need to spend another $3K for the Benson's crew to finally like me well enough to say "hi" when I walk in the door, but I'd rather go where my money is welcome from the start.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It shouldnt be about how much money someone is spending. Treat every customer like a great customer. If someone walking into a gun store for the first time to buy a box of ammo for a hunting trip and is treated poorly, hes probably not going to go back to that store for his next rifle. If you find a store that treats you well thats great, stay with them. I have been to suffolk sportsman before, and I have nothing bad to say about them at all. Im currently shopping for a new rilfe and popped in to see what they had. I was able to check a few out and narrowed it down to a make and model. I left without buying a gun because I just need to decide what caliber im going with, but when I buy ill be going back. They werent pushy and seemed to be good guys.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Charlie is a great guy. He has a dry sense of humor but he's a true gentleman.

As far as the rest of the staff at Benson's.....a bunch of fine folks. I can't honestly say a bad thing about any of my experiences there.
I really like dealing with Mark over there. He treats me very well.

Sorry, no complaints from me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was in Bensons today. Had ZERO intension of making a purchase. Window browsing at some Kimbers. Looked at the solo. Put a deposit on one. They were great, extremely friendly. And this was my 4th interaction with them and will be my second purchase with them. No complaints here!

·
Registered
241 Posts
people were great when i was there a few weeks ago for targets, only issue i had was the day after I hold a m&p 15 sport  at sss for $699 I find myself looking at the same exact rifle there for $1049. Also they had hi point carbines marked $529 I thought i was losing my mind. Are they the type of shop that overmarks the tags on things then sells them to you for msrp so you think you are getting a deal? Just curious

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
cobra said:
Are they the type of shop that overmarks the tags on things then sells them to you for msrp so you think you are getting a deal? Just curious
I cant comment on there sales, however a general rule is to make as much money as possible :p

Enjoy the forum!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.