Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a semi auto shotgun and since I am used to the safety placement of the 870 pattern, I am considering getting the benelli m2 tactical. Uses will be HD, range and classes.

What I am not loving about the shotgun is the cost. So as an alternative should I -
• buy the beretta -1301
• mossberg 930spx
• suck it up and buy the m2
• something else

I do plan on upgrading down the road to include rail for a red dot, larger bolt release and capacity

All opinions welcome and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
My simplistic answer…. get the shotgun you like the most. Practice enough so the safety placement is not an issue. The most important safety is the one between your ears that tells your trigger finger what to do.
^^That^^ I have a friend who has the M2, he loves it but he has some issue shooting low brass, won't eject.

Reactions: killian

·
Accurizer
879 Posts
IMO you get what you pay for. I have had an 870 for many years--it was the first long gun I ever bought--but I also have a few Benellis now and have got used to how they operate.

I have the M2 tactical (Comfortech stock) and absolutely love it. Very accurate, oozes quality, and I find that the Benelli inertia system in general tends to produce less fouling than gas-operated semi-autos. When I got it (5-6 years ago?) as a complement to my 870 police, the FN SLP was just being introduced to the US and had little in the way of aftermarket accessories to spec it out as I've done with the M2. I don't know it that's the case for the Beretta or Mossberg, although I think the Mossberg aftermarket is fairly robust.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Cant go wrong with a Benelli, but I also never had a problem with my Beretta either. Personally, I think I would spend 1/2 the $ on the 1301.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Cant go wrong with a Benelli, but I also never had a problem with my Beretta either. Personally, I think I would spend 1/2 the $ on the 1301.
I wish it was half the price

Curious - What do you do to engage the safety? I assume you slide your support hand forward. Do you find that to be awkward or uncomfortable?

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
My experience with the Mossberg 930spx is mixed .I bought the 3rd generation ..I love the look and feel , the ghost sights and recoil pad on the stock, she will cycle slugs with great ease..I had some bad cycling and FTE issues with light target load. I came across OR3gun and bought some upgrades made for the 930spx..There spacer tube, forearm retainer, competition follower, and spring plunger...she cycled 1145fps. federal , which wouldn't cycle before..and a few other light target loads pasted the test..For the price of the gun and upgrades , plus the B.S ....I would have just saved a few more bucks and got the 1301...that's just me and my experience, some people said there 930spx had no issues at all, some just flat out said it was junk...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't ask me what to get...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Benelli. Buy once and never regret it. One suggestion when you get it, check out the 3 gun mods on youtube. In particular, there's a simple procedure for polishing and slightly bending the carrier latch so shells go in ridiculously easier. And if you buy it with the 18.5 inch tactical barrel and pistol grip, you can easily find a 28" barrel and a regular rifle stock on the auction sites and now you have an awesome bird and skeet gun as well.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The Stoeger M2000 has a similar design as the M2 as Benelli owns Stoeger. You may loose out on some external refinements but it is a viable option that will save you a bunch of money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't have the M2 Tactical but the M2 field with a 21" barrel and some upgrades.

I like my M2 so much, that I am seriously considering buying a second one!

In terms of cycling, I never had any issues. It will even cycle the low brass low recoil ~1150fps federal target loads no problem. I think the key with inertia driven guns is not to put heavy accessories on them when you shoot very light loads, like lights, big saddles, etc.

If you are to use the gun in a tactical situation, then that won't be a problem since you should be shooting the heavy stuff!

Also it is very simple to clean and maintain!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.