Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to campsite today for my hunting license and wanted to fondle some shotguns. I was thinking about picking up a 20g for the wife. Maybe an over under, maybe a semi. She likes to shoot clays every now and then and my Remington 1100 is a bit much for her. More than anything I wanted her to experience some different options.

They guys at the store said this Benelli Cordoba in 12G is like shooting a 20g and a 20G cordoba would be like shooing a 9mm carbine. Any truth to this? Its nice and light and looks like an awesome shotty for both the wife and me as well. Does anyone have any experience with it?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't own that gun, but I bought a benelli h20 12 ga pump at campsite and it made my Remmington feel like a real pos.

It's softer shooting than any of my 12 gauges and the build quality is top notch.

I can imagine in a semi it would likely feel like a 20 ga.

Real quality gun

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it shoots anything like a beretta a400 with the kickoff system....then indeed a 12 ga can feel like a 20.
Benelli uses their ComforTech system which is supposed to be lighter than the kickoff and reduce recoil just as much if not more (so they claim). Not that Im surprised that engineering can work magic like that in a stock, but I'm also skeptical when someone says a 12G can shoot like a 20G, I need to hear it from someone whose got one. It looks like an awesome machine. If such a light shotgun can shoot easier than my 1100 then I'm sold on it but its hard to believe.
It also has a ported barrel which is supposed to help muzzle rise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your shooting 2 3/4 your wife is not going to have a problem with the Cordoba 12g. My wife has used my Super Sport for a full round of sporting clays and did not complain about recoil. The berettas are a little thicker in the fore-end then most benellis. You should have her shoulder a few different options and see what she feels comfortable with. Can't go wrong with either the Benelli or a Beretta. Just get ready to bust out the wallet!

Reactions: MetalHead

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She doesn't really have a huge issue with the recoil, it's more the weight of the 1100. She ends up leaning backward instead of into the gun to stay ballanced. Looking at the specs theres a 1 pound difference between the two but the benelli felt ballanced better. Maybe I'll see if Yaphank rents them before I comitt.

·
Runs with scissors
1,759 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I am probably the biggest recoil wuss on LIF and therefore I am cheating myself out of lots of fun with trap and skeet. I will check it out
I have a 12ga Mossberg that is a closet queen for home defense, since I dare not use it.

Reactions: MetalHead

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I am probably the biggest recoil wuss on LIF and therefore I am cheating myself out of lots of fun with trap and skeet. I will check it out
I have a 12ga Mossberg that is a closet queen for home defense, since I dare not use it.
Sighting in my red dot on my shotgun got old quickly so I got one of these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Caldwell-Mag-Plus-Recoil-Shield/dp/B0013R8J48

I affectionately call it the "Sissy Pad"

It helps tremendously- even when shooting turkey load that will normally blow your shoulder off.

They come in different thicknesses as well.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
My buddy and I took our wives out to calverton twice. I brought my Beretta A300 Outlander 12 gauge. Its light, points easy and very easy on the shoulder, especially with trap loads. The wife and her friend never fired shotguns before and were busting more clays than I thought they would and shot many rounds each without blinking. They avoided my buddies 870 at all cost and wanted the Beretta only due to lightness and much reduced recoil. They still ask when are we going to go again?
With 3" heavy loads and slugs its rougher but still much more gentle than a pump. Many of the semi auto guns( gas operated) are very light shooting. Others which are recoil operated are harder thumpers but many offer mechanical aids which help tame them, like the Cordoba. I'm assuming your Mossberg is a pump action.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
I put a limbsavers on the Mossberg and my Beretta 3901.... Helps tremendously!

·
Registered
227 Posts
She doesn't really have a huge issue with the recoil, it's more the weight of the 1100. She ends up leaning backward instead of into the gun to stay ballanced. Looking at the specs theres a 1 pound difference between the two but the benelli felt ballanced better. Maybe I'll see if Yaphank rents them before I comitt.
Between the two choices, you will only find Berettas at Yaphank to rent. I wish I could meet you out there and bring my Benelli for you to try...but the wife and I literally just had a baby a few days ago. Im gonna be in the trenches for a little while. Hopefully there are some other Benelli owners here who could possibly meet you at Yaphank. Good Luck buddy.

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Between the two choices, you will only find Berettas at Yaphank to rent. I wish I could meet you out there and bring my Benelli for you to try...but the wife and I literally just had a baby a few days ago. Im gonna be in the trenches for a little while. Hopefully there are some other Benelli owners here who could possibly meet you at Yaphank. Good Luck buddy.
Congratulations!

I'll check their line of Barettas and talk with them out there. Light with a modern recoil dampening system and Its got my I ferret at this point. Otherwise I'll start looking at light 20 gauges.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.