Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been thinking of buying or trading for a heavy barrel bench rifle in .308 or 300wm for some time now and wanted to get some recommendations. The ones that stood out to me are the savage 110ba, armalite ar30, and the sako trg (though it's out of my price range by a lot I think)

I would like to keep the rifle between 1000-2000 in cash or trade value and wanted to see what else is recommended by the lif folks...and if anyone has one for sale/trade.

On a side note there was a guy named Rob at Brookhaven today who was shooting a beautiful .338Lapua custom rifle with a us optics scope and was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I asked him about his gun and he brought it over to my bench and let me put 5 rounds down range and explained his reloading techniques. he seems to be a regular at Brookhaven and if he is an LIF member I just want to say thanks again. Your rifle was the most impressive gun I ave ever shot (I love the 2 lb jewel trigger and custom painted McMillan stock). It was great to get my hands on a rifle that I otherwise wouldn't get to touch for the next 5 years and I think that what the shooting sport is all about.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take a look into the 40xb for sure. The rifle the guy at the range was shooting was a Surgeon Remedy and it was the most well put together bench gun I've ever seen...but it's 5k+

·
I'm begging to be banned!
1,135 Posts
I had a Savage Model 12 FTR in .308, I sold it on here to strictly biz, I regret selling it but I can use it whenever I want.  I replaced it with a SAKO TRG 22, I still miss my m12.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The FN SPR rifles are pretty good for production. Really liked the Savage LRPV action with a good barrel for a budget build.

Also Butch Hongisto smiths a great rifle, as does Bob Calfee though I had to wait around a year for them, and Richards in VA puts together a good stick with BAT actions and has a fast turn around of a month or two.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone has one in .308 to part with I have a few nice options for trading including a psl,garand,m44,Rossi 44mag lever....I'm open to any heavy bench target guns ideally in .308.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
I've owned a lot of "bench" Rifles over the years, and though I have gotten away from it, the only one I still own is the first I'd recommend. Savage Model 12BVSS in .308

I rarely shoot past 300 these days, but if I did, I might want something in .300 Winchester Magnum, or .338 Lapua Magnum, but .308 is plenty enough for my needs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If your looking for a bench rifle look at the Savage bench models in 6mmBR. it a fine rifle. For bench guns you should stick with a 6mm- something I built one up a while ago on a Rem action in 6mmRemBR. A great rifle. I have a ton of heavy rifle in 308 and othe cals and the 6mm shoots better.In 308 I have Sako TRG-22, FN-SPR,and Kimber Advanced Tactical rifles. I also have heavy rifles in 6.5 Credmoor, 223rem, 25-06, 300Wim Mag, 338Lapua, and a custom 308Mag based on the 300Dakota case. If you would like to check any out drop me a PM, and well set up a meet. By the way I would be interested in letting the kimber go, i havent shoot it since 2008 and its just sitting doing nothing.

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
bobbyholdem4 said:
The ones that stood out to me are the savage 110ba, armalite ar30, and the sako trg
I owned all three. Each one has it's needs. I'm assuming it'll
be your first long range benchrest rifle, if so, then these might
be more than what you need. To be honest, I don't believe in
"more than you need"... just trying to stay frugal here. :)

.308 Winchester is a great round. Predictable, accurate and can
give you 1000yrds of accuracy with loaded ammo and 800yrds
using factory ammo. Cost is the least of the 3 calibers.

.300 Winchester Magnum is an awesome round. Predictable,
very accurate, gives you 1200yrds of accuracy. You will definitely
need a heavy gun or one with a decent muzzle brake to lessen
the decent recoil. Cost is about twice more than the .308 for
decent factory rounds. Only slightly more if you're reloading.

.338 Lapua Magnum is a beast. Not your typical round to shoot
under 600yrds. Predictable, super accurate and will give you
about 1800yrds of accuracy. Very expensive for decent factory
ammo, reloading saves about half that. Recoil is brisk but for
most of these type of guns, they are normally larger with nice
muzzle brakes... and very pricey.

They are all very different rounds, different distances, different
costs. I think you should focus to one caliber of choice first.
Decide on what type of shooting you plan to do. If it's just
local range distances... the .308 Winchester will keep you very
busy and happy with nice results.

If you plan on taking long range shooting trips, then by all
means get what you want.... but I'm assuming that you'll need
some experience first so the .308 or .300Win Mag would be a
great start.

I know Chester's has a Savage 110BA and an Armalite AR-30
chambered for a .338 Lapua, but again, maybe too much to
start with due to what this type of round demands. He also
has a beautiful Kimber 84M BUT sporting an awesome bench-
rest type stock and fluted bull barrel - I was tempted. Never
seen one like it, it was obviously a benchrest conversion and
one of a kind. Other .308s he has were the Remington 700
SPS models which are great shooters themselves. I haven't
been to the other shops lately so I don't know what's in stock.

There are so many good choices chambered for a .308 Win.
For the price, you can't go wrong with a Savage or Remington.

Best of luck.

Peace,
GH-07

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Do you happen to have a pic or some more info on the kimber ypu van pm me oldreliable?

Ghost,you may be right about not needing such a high end rifle to start with, maybe a 700 or savage will do just fine.

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dasgreif said:
The FN SPR rifles are pretty good for production. Really liked the Savage LRPV action with a good barrel for a budget build.

Also Butch Hongisto smiths a great rifle, as does Bob Calfee though I had to wait around a year for them, and Richards in VA puts together a good stick with BAT actions and has a fast turn around of a month or two.
Just read an article on the FN SPR A3G and it has quickly become my sniper rifle of choice. I highly doubt few other rifles can take such abuse and still perform at BELOW .25"moa consistently.

The article is in the latest issue of tactical operator and is definitely worth a look. After reading the article I guarantee you will become overly impressed with it's performance and reliability.

·
Banned
7,584 Posts
I have a .300 win/mag. I do feel it's a great shooter. I have no complaints or problems with it. Then again it is a browning, and I kind of expect that from them. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Have a great summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.