Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on getting a little more accuracy out of my 10/22. A couple of things I have been reading, and they make sense is to bed the action, and free float the barrel. I am not looking to make this a match grade rifle, just looking to get a little more accuracy out of it. Free floating the barrel is easy enough.

My research on bedding the action has lead me to mass confusion over what product to use. It seems that it runs the gammot of people using wood filler, to the glass bedding kit available through midway. Since I am on a budget I think that Bondo would be a good route to go with this. And considering I was considering using bondo for another project it would be like killing two birds with one stone. What do y'all think about using Bondo to bed the action of my Ruger 10/22?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
You can get good match quality barrel for under $100.
Freefloating and bedding with OEM barrel is a waste of time.
+1 to that!

You can bed a rifle with crappy barrel, and still have a crappy rifle. Almost any epoxy can be used for bedding, even JB Weld, but you have be sure you like the stock enough to go through the trouble. A crappy OEM stock, will still be a crappy OEM stock when your done.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I picked up and ER Shaw 18 bull barrel for $89, got me a nice after market wood stock and dropped in a VQ2000 trigger, I can shoot ¼inch or better, groups all day long.

Save yourself some time and pick up a bull barrel.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
I would stay away from Bondo because Bondpo contains talc fillers, that makes it mildly hygroscopic and it will grow and shrink with changes in humidity. so will a wooden stock, so that mayt not be all thaqt relevant in your application.

I would use an epoxy resin based bedding compound without fillers, or Marine Tex. or possibly JB original (not JB Quik which is polyester crapola).

Brush or spray a few coats of PVA mold release onto the action before you bed it- this allows you tro acttually get it back out one day. Fill any holes where takedown pins etc go through the action with wax and leave the wax slightly proud of the surface- again, so you can get the action back out. Use a dremel to take off any flash or ridges or negative draft surfaces that will "lock" the action in place when you bed it.

You may have to rough up the action inlet of a synthetic stock with 80 grit sandpaper to help form a mechanical key- about the only thing that chemically bonds to a synthetic stock are urethane adhesives, and even with a PVA release, you may never get that apart again.

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of people I have been seeing have been able to get quater sized groups at 50 yards with the stock barrel, so I really see no reason to replace the barrel. If I had the money to burn it would be a match grade rifle already, but that is not the case. I still think this would be a fun rifle to learn on. I am a tinkerer, and as such I cannot leave anything alone

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
boke said:
I still think this would be a fun rifle to learn on. I am a tinkerer, and as such I cannot leave anything alone
I'm too and that's why I could not stop at just the barrel....6+ bills later...oh well..lol.. Either way just enjoy it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
10/22's need a little tension on the front of the barrel to stabilize to to the action. Aftermerket mount block that elevate the barrel are available., and Volquatsen sells bedding pads for the front of the forend under the barrel. I'm not sure that bedding the action will give you any benefit

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Mafia Al said:
I picked up and ER Shaw 18 bull barrel for $89, got me a nice after market wood stock and dropped in a VQ2000 trigger, I can shoot ¼inch or better, groups all day long.

Save yourself some time and pick up a bull barrel.
At what range?

I've been thinking about tricking out my 10/22, but I don't know what to expect in terms of results for the money that I might spend on it.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
With the stock 10/22, if you take off the barrel band, cut the barrel channel bigger, and add a bushing under the reciever bolt and a couple of peices of shim stock slipped in the back of the reciever channel to tighten it up you will pretty much have tyhe equivalent of a pillar bedding.

I would like to say a .22 does not have enough recoil to shift parts around, but on the other hand the rail on my MKIII has been giving me endless trouble and I'm going to have to resort to loctite since I can't locate any tiny nord-locks.

The barrel-recuiever fit on a 20/22 is a slip fit instead of a press fit (iinterference fit), which I completely understand why they did, but if replacing the barrel I would plate it up or somnething to get it tight. That V-block thing is just not right for a performance rifle. Probably why VQ makes everything including the reciever.

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
Bedding epoxy does not shrink or expand. If the epoxy does either, the bedding job is crap. Stock chambers are loose to handle all ammo. Some guys recut the chambers so they work with some ammo, but better. Supposed to be the best bang for the buck.

·
Banned
6,853 Posts
frank57 said:
Get a trigger that will help alot e arthur brown sells stocks barrels triggers for the 10/22
The 10/22 is a great rifle to try a first trigger job on.

If you fk up, then look into a better trigger group. I love my kidd, and have heard nothing but good about volquartsen.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Schneiderman said:
At what range?

I've been thinking about tricking out my 10/22, but I don't know what to expect in terms of results for the money that I might spend on it.
I was shooting at Ridge (Brookhaven) at the 50 yard line.

I really didn't know what to expect either so what I ended up with was a heavy 10/22....its great for the range or if your shooting from a fixed spot. Not so great if you want to hunt or shoot on the move.

I just kept adding as it was my first gun...I've change the bolt,firing pin, springs, rod, charging handle, buffer and add the VQ2000 trigger group and barrel plus a baracuda stock and I think I may have gone a little overboard but in the end, I learned, had fun and enjoy it.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
There is no substitute for a good barrel! I have an old Savage/Anschutz .22 single shot, probably from the 80's. Shoots groups like this at 100 into a six inch target, with CCI ammo (first time shooting at 100, with windy conditions, and a lot of holdover-hold left guesswork.)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Back when I was testing out .22lr ammo, shot these with Aguila 40gr @ 50yrd (10 rd groups)

I;ve since found that I get better groups with Wolf extra match .22lr. I just don't have a pic handy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts