Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be a Responsible Firearms Owner.

A very important part of being an owner of firearms is knowing how to be a responsible owner, or to phrase it differently an owner that is highly concerned with Safety.

Safety is paramount with firearms ownership.
As mentioned above it is the "Responsibility" of an owner to be safe with his firearms.

Safety, a small word, is huge when we take into consideration some of the consequences of NOT taking our responsibilities seriously.

Hopefully we all now know the basic rules of firearms safety:

1) Treat every Firearm as if it was loaded.
2) Always point the muzzle in a safe direction; never point a firearm at anyone or
anything you don't want to shoot.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until you are ready to
shoot.
4) Keep the action open and the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.

Notice I said "Basic". This is where we begin. These four steps should always be followed. I'm sure if we all could post some of our experiences with accidents that have occurred with the use of firearms it would be a very interesting if not scary read.
Now by accidents I don't mean injuries, just some experiences we've had.

I'll tell you one brain lapse I've had some time ago.
I was at Calverton shooting several different Rifles I had with me that day.
A cease fire was called and I cleared the rifle I was shooting at the time the cease fire was called.
Shooters proceeded down range and either posted new targets or checked their existing targets.
The cease fire was ended and the line went "Hot" again.
I picked up one of the rifles I had been using prior to the cease fire and there it was, a live round was still in the chamber. I had failed to properly check all my firearms to insure that they were safe. I honestly don't know how I missed that, but I did. This was on a bolt action rifle and the bolt was opened and pulled to the rear. It just failed to extract the round. I failed to properly check the chamber.
I had violated a safety procedure.
Luckily no one was injured and I managed to escape the possibility of the unimaginable. That was the last time that has ever happened to me. I took this 'brain lapse" and learned from it. This however, is not the way to learn safety. Had I followed the basic rules of making a firearm safe this would not have happened.
My point in telling this story is to point out that we all must be extremely alert when handling firearms. Even the most experienced shooter may have a moment where he/she is just overlooking something that has been drilled into them for many years.
It happens.

You can never be too Safe!

Anyone care to share their experience with a safety issue?

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Got this one Pete.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.