Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to jump on a deal that Bravo Company is having on their sale on Uppers. The only thing holding me back are the restrictions on the uppers. Does NY have any restrictions on uppers? I know the muzzle brake has to be pinned and welded. Anything else? Is there a length restriction as well?

Thanks

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
An upper is a hunk of metal until it is used to make a complete rifle by mating it w/ a lower

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I thought you couldn't have a muzzle brake at all unless it was on a registered lower.
In which case, I don't think it matters if it's pinned or not.

I am assuming he means to be legally used in NY on a removable mag AR. What they would then classify as an AW.
A fixed mag wouldn't be such.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Buy any upper you want, it will be mailed directly to your home. An upper is not a firearm.
I would stay with a barrel over 16" with the brake, but even that is up for discussion. Although if you mate an upper of sub 16" length to a lower that's a SBR and an ATF violation.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Is a 16" barrel 16" before the brake or comp is screwed on by the manufacturer or is it the total length with the brake or comp? I am not sure. If the latter is true then what Rrudo74901 says about buying a longer barrel is a must.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Buy it, make sure it's a 16" barrel, then if you want to put it on a featureless rifle, find someone who will weld a thread protector on it. No muzzle devices allowed in NY. Unless you want to do a fixed mag lower, which to me only makes sense if you plan on using it as a range gun only. If you plan on taking defensive shooting classes or doing competitions, you need to change mags fast.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If the rifle has a detachable magazine, the upper cannot have threads, a muzzle device (even pinned and welded), a bayonet lug or a vertical grip. It needs to have a non-threaded aka "crowned" barrel.

While you can buy an upper (or barrel) and then have someone pin and weld a cap on, it will likely cost you more than if you just bought the right one in the first place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.