Long Island Shooters Forum banner

BBQ 2015 Thread - Who's Q-ing?

19K views 180 replies 41 participants last post by  TTSkipper 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Happy Memorial Day weekend everybody!

You know I love my guns, bourbon and bbq! By bbq I mean traditional indirect cooking - slow and low, another piece of Americana from when explorers discovered it in Haiti, and brought to the first colonies cooking pulled pork since most had wooden or no teeth! And of course what has become the great Southern tradition, with distinct regional BBQ from Texas to the Carolinas.

If you want to throw in some grilling (cooking over direct heat at higher temps, propane gas or charcoal grills) that's ok, but make it count. I prefer offset smokers - basic stick burners. I smoke using charcoal and oak wood that I cut and season myself, from my LI property. There's a craft to using a wood burner, something primal about it and it tastes and smells great!

Currently running a modified cheapo Brinkmann offset smoker and today I'm breaking in (seasoning) a 3/16 steel all welded offset burner I got from Texas (400 pound mini beast).

Will update with posts of recipes, cooks, and tips all summer. Feel free to contribute and enjoy!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome, son."
- Josh Thompson, "Way Out Here"

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Rigs! I'm not Q'ing this weekend due to other commitments, But I really like doing chicken thighs(with bone & skin) and ribs on my Brinkmann drum(no offset box- it was a curb find 6 years ago). Definitely looking to upgrade, who makes that new 3/16" steel burner you are seasoning? what model? With that kind of mass, you must get amazing heat retention.

#3 ·
By-the-way, the original BBQers were the the Boucanier, a French word for Boucans, which were the island people who smoked their meat. The word Boucanier, subsequently evolved into Buccaneers. The Boucans, when they were not smoking meat, would perform acts of piracy, so they became the Buccaneers. While "pirates" roamed the sea in search of plunder, the "Buccaneers" we're basically land people who plundered.

Reactions: Destro
#4 ·
I thought they got the idea from native Haitians (smoking over open palm leaf pits). I know it was brought over from Haiti to colonies like Jamestown and "caught on" due to the poor dental issue of the colonists, so pulled pork, and the use of whole hog for efficiency became popular.

Anyway, the modern Southern state styles are also cool, from Texas beef to Kentucky mutton to the division in the Carolinas and sauce styles, etc. It's become a folk food utilizing all parts of the animal and great form community cooking.

I mainly do spare ribs (St. Louis style) baby back ribs, Boston butt (shoulder, pulled pork), beef ribs, bison ribs (when I can get them), whole chicken, and chicken parts (like coca cola chicken thighs wrapped in bacon- a Myron Mixon recipe).

#5 ·
Saw a pic of this and it got me wanting to give it a try.
Cooked low and slow... BBQ Boneless Pork Ribs Stuffed in a hollowed out pineapple wrapped in bacon.
Gonna give it a shot either tomorrow or Monday.
Just gonna put in on indirect heat in the gas grill with a hickory wood smoke box.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice. A simple recipe I picked up from Myron Mixon's book (you probably have seen him on Destination America's BBQ Pitmasters) is coca cola chicken.
Chicken thighs or breasts marinated in Coca Cola (a Georgia invention) wrapped in bacon smoked at 225 for a bit. Simple, and many people with grills can probably swing it.

I've used bourbon and cherry coke in some of my sauces. Here's the original Aporkalypse Now sauce thread for that recipe.
http://www.longislan...urbon-vacation/

Attachments

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anybody do a dry rub? We found a great recipe down in New Orleans, fantastic on ribs. Rubbing on the night before is key:

½ cup paprika
½ cup garlic powder
¼ cup onion powder
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
¼ cup dried thyme
1 tablespoon ground rosemary
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons brown sugar

EDIT: Wife found the background on it:
Eugene "Hot Sauce" Williams operated perhaps the best barbecue stands in 1950s Cleveland, Ohio. In 1920, Williams migrated from New Orleans to Chicago and from there to Cleveland. Williams returned to his native New Orleans, spending days "just drifting" among cooks in the Crescent city accumulating knowledge about how to make great barbecue ribs. He finally came across an older chef that shared his secret ingredient with Williams and his cooking techniques. Williams says that great ribs come from cooking them slowly over the right amount of heat and taking care to thoroughly cook them but not dry them out. Most credited the success of his barbecue stand to the secret way in which he flavored his ribs with "a dry spice powder and taste-tantalizing hot sauce." Only Williams knew the formula for the powder, which he personally sprinkled on all his precooked meats. I suspect he used a variation on a New Orleans dry rub recipe like the one shown here.

#9 ·
Always do a dry rub on everything, especially ribs wet or dry...

most of the ingredients use sweet and savories...

the main ingredients in my dry rub are garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and brown sugar.

Then mustard powder, celery powder, tumeric, corriander, and heat like chili powder and cayenne..and some others...

--------------------------

SEASONING A NEW SMOKER

Still seasoning the 11 gauge and 3/16 beast.

Basically clean off any manufacturing waste/oil/grit with a wire brush and paper towels/water, then burn it out at high 300-400 range for a few hours, then spray the inside of the cooking chamber with peanut oil and continue burning at a high temp (kind of like seasoning a cast iron pan). Normally we would only smoke at 200-300 range, usually 230 degrees.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I like them. The new smoker is like a cast iron stove so I was getting burned earlier in the night touching anything. My forearm got branded a few times. I actually grabbed burning splits of oak with that mit and was fine, so yeah, whatever gets the job done.

Good luck with the UDS. Doing your own build is awesome. I will say coming up with your own rub is fun though. I have often used commercial sauces cause it takes a lot of time to make your own but rubs are great to go "mad scientist" on and come up with your own blend. Most use a similar base and then you can get creative.

#47 ·
Funny, I had Memorial Day lunch at a Rudy's BBQ in Spring Texas!! Line was out the door all afternoon.

#21 ·
I'm smoking a brined / dry rubbed chicken right now... 225* over apple for about 4 hours. Later this evening when company comes over, the smoker will turn into a 700* inferno to cook some strip steaks to perfection in about 6 minutes. I bought an Akorn kamado style grill (a poor mans Big Green Egg) this year and I love it... hands down the best $269 I've ever spent at Lowes.

With any luck, the chicken will turn out like this bad boy from last Sunday:
Food Turkey meat Hendl Drunken chicken Ingredient

Attachments

#22 ·
Only commercial stuff I would ever use is Stubbs. The Texas Butter injectable marinade made for the best brisket I've ever eaten. For basic bulk ribs I do my own dry rub and finish off with Stubbs spicy bbq. I am a big fan of heat, so if I am just cooking for myself things tend to get pretty devastating. Dr. Pepper also makes for a good liquid component, sugars do a great job breaking down meat. I am a big steak guy as well, accounts for probably 75% of my diet, and I've got alot of custom seasonings to meet the task. My basic go to is cayenne, garlic powder, powdered oregano, and salt, applied in that order (it does make a difference) and then cooked slow at low heat with chili infused butter applied once it flips. Shell is my steak of choice for this one. Go to marinade for skirt is worcestershire, a1, hot sauce of choice (cholula chili garlic is one of my favorites for this), minced garlic, onion powder, white pepper, and salt.

Man I'm hungry.

#25 ·
Nice. Like how the UDS came out, neat and shiny, but in a good industrial looking way. Let's see some pics of that thing smokin' I'll probably doing a Boston butt on the new offset stickburner for a first cook. Destination America has a marathon of BBQ Pitmasters on.

Keep the pics and recipes coming and Happy Memorial day!

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
One note about the original pics in this thread with the flag in the gazebo.

I understand that when displaying a flag vertically the stars/blue should be on the left side. The Nyberg flag was originally hung there outward since it's a spot my neighbors can see and people down the hill looking up will see, especially when it's lit at night, as it is most nights with the low voltage patio lights on a timer. So for everyone from a distance it is displayed correctly and that was my reasoning.

I should have reversed it for the pictures or explained this to prevent any confusion. Maybe I'll get another and hang two together so that both sides will display the correct orientation.

Sorry for any confusion and I certainly meant no disrespect. Happy memorial day.

#32 ·
Looks great. Like how you're putting the UDS straight to work.

A lot of people forget how important resting it is (still cooking). A lot of pitmasters will wrap it, then wrap in a towel or blanket and into a cooler for an hour or two for resting.

They're cooking whole shoulder on the current episode of BBQ Pitmasters on right now (N. Carolina style). Anyone know a good butcher in the Smithtown area? Want to pick up a quality boston butt or picnic shoulder.

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
Destro's Super Simple BBQ Chicken

This is a simple recipe great for the beginning smoker, as chicken can smoke at higher temps and is simple and more resistant to temp fluctuations.

Ingredients: Cornish Game Hens and Small Whole Chicken, BBQ spice rub, peanut oil, beer or cider.

- Rinse poultry, coat with peanut oil and apply BBQ rub liberally (use the same as my rib rub, a sweet heat; mainly brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika and some hot and savory spices).

- Put in foil pan, pour beer and cider beer into pan, about an inch deep.

- Run smoker at a higher cook, around 270-300 degrees. I use one chimney of charcoal to get my wood started and use splits of oak.

- Cook for 3-4 hours until internal temp reaches ~170. Note: you can baste the chicken with the pan liquid and wrap the wings with foil half-way through.

- Wrap pan with foil and rest for 1/2 hour and serve.

Makes for a moist, smoky, tender chicken that pulls off the bone....a "pulled chicken". By panning it and using liquid it prevents the skin from tightening and getting too dark, a common problem with smoked chicken. The moisture in the chamber and around the bird also makes for super tender meat. Note: the meat will have a pinkish smoke ring at the joints and be tender. Do not confuse it with uncooked chicken. Always check with a digital thermo.

Attachments

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just finished rebuilding my BIL old charbroil smoker. This thing was rotted real bad. The firebox box bottom was compete my rotted through. I upgraded the thermometer, made a new firebox , replaced the wheels and axial, gave it a fresh cooat of paint and she's being seasoned right now for a party tomorrow.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.