Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to shave down a bayonet lug and how? If I buy an upper from someone how do I know it's pure an or not?

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
3,802 Posts
As already stated the lower is the gun so it's the lower that needs to be pre-ban. I would never buy a pre-ban lower unless I already owned one. I don't see the hype/reasoning to pay such prices for such minimal returns.

As far as the bayo lug. Grab yourself a dremel and hack that sucker off. If you don't feel comfortable you can take it to a gunsmith or I'm sure someone here would do it. Just make sure to re-blue that area when your finished.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As already stated the lower is the gun so it's the lower that needs to be pre-ban. I would never buy a pre-ban lower unless I already owned one. I don't see the hype/reasoning to pay such prices for such minimal returns.

As far as the bayo lug. Grab yourself a dremel and hack that sucker off. If you don't feel comfortable you can take it to a gunsmith or I'm sure someone here would do it. Just make sure to re-blue that area when your finished.
Thanks. I heard you can get away with only shaving the bayonet ears off. Is that true? Also, how do you recommend re bluing?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Assuming a AR Upper? why not just swap out the Front Sight Base for a Non Lugged one? 2 drift pins hold it on.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Assuming a AR Upper? why not just swap out the Front Sight Base for a Non Lugged one? 2 drift pins hold it on.
Front sight bases do not interchange. He could swap to a flip front sight base on. But the factory FSB is strong and never comes loose, like the set screws can.

Reactions: Ramone

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks. I heard you can get away with only shaving the bayonet ears off. Is that true? Also, how do you recommend re bluing?
Yes, you don't have to shave the whole lug off. It's legal to just have the ears taken off. It's a matter of personal taste but on one of my M14's I opted to just have the ears shaved and it looks much better than having the whole lug cut off. The boys at LRB did it for me, charged very little and it looks factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts