Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Route 29 Batman is killed after his Batmobile breaks down in Maryland

The Batmobile pulled into a gas station Sunday night and, as usual, the children who spotted it gawked.

Lenny B. Robinson was used to that. The Maryland man, better known as the Route 29 Batman, had for years dressed as the Caped Crusader and driven his custom-made car to deliver moments of happiness and distraction to hundreds of sick children at area hospitals.

His costume stored in the Batmobile but his alter ego never entirely switched off, Robinson gave the kids at the gas station some superhero paraphernalia before driving off.

Minutes later, Robinson pulled over with engine trouble on an unlit stretch of Interstate 70 near Hagerstown, Md., police said. The people he had just met parked behind him, turning their emergency lights on.

His car was stopped in the median but still "partially in the fast lane" when he got out to check the engine, according to state police. Around 10:30 p.m., a Toyota Camry slammed into the Batmobile, propelling the steel-framed hunk of black metal into his body. Robinson, 51, died at the scene.

The crash is still under investigation, and no charges have been filed. The driver of the Camry, who was not injured, declined to comment.

Robinson's devastated family and friends gathered Monday at his parents' home in Owings Mills, Md., remembering him as a son and a brother, an uncle to three nieces and a father to three boys.

Though he was divorced and his kids lived in New Jersey, Robinson drove every weekend to pick up his sons and bring them to his home outside Baltimore.

"He was my brother, my business partner, my best friend," Scott Robinson said. "He touched a lot of lives and made a lot of kids smile. That's all he wanted to do."

Robinson made his money in the cleaning business. He spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, his brother said, on his '60s-style Batmobile, a costume that seemed more real than those in the movies, and the trinkets he handed out to children, always autographed "Batman."

Read more...
This was his Batmobile. For some reason the article decided not to include a picture of it and instead show his Lamborghini.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Article I read said the lambo was the car that broke down on the highway when he was killed........that is why I don't drive one
Yea, that's why I don't drive one either...

Also that it costs as much as a small house.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
RIP Batman.
But I did hear that the Dark Knight rises.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
Read this yesterday, very sad. Guy spent a lot of his free time and thousands of his own dollars every year making sick kids happy.

RIP

·
III%
2,777 Posts
I saw this guy on the news a few years ago. He really was a "normal" guy. He was successful and really just wanted to give back. He said it was so rewarding and it brought such life and happiness to sick kids that it became his life mission.
RIP Bat man!

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a shame. It sounds like he was kooky, but put it to good use to ease children's suffering.

RIP pseudo-Batman, RIP
Idk, I think if you have the time and money to drive around as Batman and choose not to you may be a bit kooky. /s

Like Babaloo said, I've seen some interviews with this guy years ago and he really is just a normal guy trying to make sick kids happy. The article doesn't mention it, but I recall in an interview a while back one of the hospitals mentioned that he also donates money to their children's ward, so he's not just a kook with a Batman costume.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.