Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you think the odds are of making a LEGAL shooting range in the basement of your house , signed off by the county and or town you live in. Is it even worth trying. Who wold you even need to ask?
LOADED

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
First look at the cost of the range it self, backstop, over head plating, lighting ventaltoin. You may find cheaper to just join a range.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I was going to do a 75' range UNDER my yard.

Technically, not difficult. 36" tube with lighting & a filter/ventilation unit at the end.

Legally is a totally different issue! You would have to start with the building department with jurisdiction over what ever town/village you live in.

I suspect their initial reaction would be NO! NO! NO!

IF you had a well laid out plan that addressed safety, sound attenuation & lead & other environmental issues, air quality etc & you could make a good argument to the zoning board, it would be harder for them to say no.

FWIW. I shot over 400 rounds of .27 cal powder actuated fasteners putting up lathe on my basement walls ..... at the property line they were barely audible. The train that was 1/4 mile away was louder!

No one ever said a word [it was on the weekend & everyone was home] This was also in Garden City ..... the village is not known for being very tolerant!

·
Registered
853 Posts
As cool as the idea sounds, I can't imagine it would be easy to get the permits and certificate of occupancy. This isn't the type of thing they review regularly for a residential home or structure. If you want to shoot in your basement (up to 75feet) , why not just set up an airgun range. High quality air pistols (like the airgun version of the Sig P320), are designed to mimic the weight and feel of the centerfire P320. Even the trigger is designed to be a close approximate of the factory trigger in terms of take up, break point etc. (although it's not exactly the same). You can use splatter targets, but you adjust the size of the target to make make things more challenging and simulate different types of shooting situations. Building a trap to catch .177 pellets is easy and you wouldn't need a permit.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
When I shot competitively in HS and college, .22s were used at a standard 50', the bullseye in HS being about 3/16" and in college about a third of that. For International air guns shooting .177 it was 10 meters or 33'. Shooting diagonally in my crowded basement I used to get about 31' for my Beeman air rifle. Just haven't done it in a few years, but the last thing I would EVER think about would be to bring "the man" into the picture. This is NY, and you really are not, and never will be, king of your own castle in this Godforsaken state.

Reactions: rlitman

·
Banned
1,906 Posts
I was going to do a 75' range UNDER my yard.

Technically, not difficult. 36" tube with lighting & a filter/ventilation unit at the end.

Legally is a totally different issue! You would have to start with the building department with jurisdiction over what ever town/village you live in.

I suspect their initial reaction would be NO! NO! NO!

IF you had a well laid out plan that addressed safety, sound attenuation & lead & other environmental issues, air quality etc & you could make a good argument to the zoning board, it would be harder for them to say no.

FWIW. I shot over 400 rounds of .27 cal powder actuated fasteners putting up lathe on my basement walls ..... at the property line they were barely audible. The train that was 1/4 mile away was louder!

No one ever said a word [it was on the weekend & everyone was home] This was also in Garden City ..... the village is not known for being very tolerant!
There was a long retired ( now probably now dead ) judge that lived on Beaver lane next to the first precinct in Suffolk -- he had a 40" concrete drainage tube out of his basement wall about 30' ( ? ) to his property line -- even though he was probably near 90 when I met him -- he used a modified skateboard to change out his targets --

Funny this thread -- my basement is 7 yrds long - .22 store bought bullet trap with sand bags all around it -- only one water pipe is anywhere near it - a 4 X 4 post should protect it -- 20" box fan blowing in by one window set on low power --- another one set on high on the other side --- 2 half sheets of plywood on the outside of the windows should cut down on the noise -- using only .22 lr subsonic rounds ---- I'm thinking about it ???

I'd put a pipe under the weeds ( lawn ) but the water table is way to high here --

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As cool as the idea sounds, I can't imagine it would be easy to get the permits and certificate of occupancy. This isn't the type of thing they review regularly for a residential home or structure. If you want to shoot in your basement (up to 75feet) , why not just set up an airgun range. High quality air pistols (like the airgun version of the Sig P320), are designed to mimic the weight and feel of the centerfire P320. Even the trigger is designed to be a close approximate of the factory trigger in terms of take up, break point etc. (although it's not exactly the same). You can use splatter targets, but you adjust the size of the target to make make things more challenging and simulate different types of shooting situations. Building a trap to catch .177 pellets is easy and you wouldn't need a permit.
that is definitely a good idea and I will look into it, thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There is a company, I think from Vegas that builds custom shooting ranges inside of a “Connix” box (I don’t know how to spell it. But it looked amazing. I wish I could buy one and extend my garage and put it in there.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Before you even start to consider the code specs for putting something like this together, check your local ordinances regarding discharging a firearm.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I seem to recall that it is a crime to discharge a firearm within a certain distance (500 feet??) of a dwelling. That pretty much covers inside a dwelling.
Every local town and village has no discharge laws. Only the police had an exemption for discharging a firearm. The NY DEC ECL will cover the 500' law if a town or village do not have a law on the books.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
can't go wrong there. and no one will know unless you tell them. (your town probably would still consider it as discharge of a firearm, lol)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What town on LI doesn't have a no-discharge law ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts