Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a custom sniper rifle in a 6.5 creedmore. What is a good store to get a barreled receiver and the rest of the parts I need such as muzzle break and a stock? What recommendations does everyone have for a barreled receiver? It seems Remington, savage and Stevens seems to be the big 3.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Howa has 24" barreled actions in 6.5 Creedmoor with a heavy barrel. I am currently building another 6.5 Creedmoor on a Savage 12 action. I picked up a used Savage 12 in 22-250, I am keeping the action, parting out the rest. I have a Bartlien 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on order with Souther Precision. Not decided on the stock yet. You can build your own and get a great barrel (Bartlien, Brux, Krieger) for about the same cost as the Ruger. I also have a Savage 12 LRP and Ruger M77 Varmint/Target both in 6.5 Creedmoor.

More info on the Creedmoor and the new Ruger here:
http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php

If you decide to build it yourself on a Savage action, I will be getting a go and no-go gauge headspacing gauges. Savage is very easy to barrel plus I have the tools needed, barrel nut wrench and action vise.
Ken

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
You going to need to reload I have a DPMS 6.5 creedmoor ar10 and boy it ain't cheap.
I reload it and the accuracy have improved greatly or I just learned how to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
I hope your reading up I forgot what barrel length is recommended but it not a short one. My AR has a longer then normal barrel.
Dam I think I need to go visit it.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
My 6.5 creed is on a Surgeon action 22" bbl

Those Ruger rifles have a plastic bolt shroud and relatively thin barrel- barrel diameter is limited by that barrel but- but they did a great job paying off the gun "media"

You can buy an action from Brownells and a remage barrel conversion from McGowen and throw it in a chassis or stock and come out with a better product.

Or- you could have an action barreled by someone who knows what they are doing. #7, M24/40, MTU, etc... are all similar and the weight you need to be competitive. You don't need to spend money having the action blueprinted, etc... just thread and chamber the barrel for a starter gun and you won't be spending stupid money.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Is there a store that sells different parts and has a knowledgeable staff. DSI seems like the place to go to for AR builds. Is there a similar store for bolt action builds?
It is a far more complex industry with a limited market, much longer lead times, and expensive parts. Pretty much every part for a quality rifle is 6 months out, unless you find it in stock. Be careful, The precision rifle industry can also be a little dubious, there was a post for sale here and someone claimed to be selling an "M24" that wasn't even close. It was a 700 PSS with the wrong label.

Bug Holes sometimes has barreled actions, http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=common/home

If you are a righty, right hand Rem 700 actions are around. You could buy an in stock bbl and have it done. This is the guy I would recommend for that http://www.area419.com/index.php/blog/item/65-creedmoor-heavy-tactical-build

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
It seems Remington, savage and Stevens seems to be the big 3.
Remington and Savage are. Never saw a Stevens at a match. With Rem I would include all the clones, Surgeon, Deviant, Bighorn etc....

Some savages will hang. They are never factory guns and always rebarreled. Same as the Rems. Always aftermarket barrels.

The action doesn't really matter, it doesn't do anything expect house the trigger and feed ammo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.