Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Bailing someone out ??

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  llaara 
#1 ·
If I bailed someone out, (you need to show your ID), will that affect my pistol license application? They looked at my ID, and record it for whatever reason.

#3 ·
It shouldn't. I already had mine and bailed someone out in 2009 and it was never an issue. They record your info just in case or for whatever other reason they do it. Don't sweat it, you weren't the one getting bailed out

#5 ·
Should not be an issue!

3 years ago on way to business (business carry) I got a call that one of my employees was picked up on a DUI and needed to be sprung. I proceeded directly to South Hampton Court house, walked in surrendered my carry had a nice conversation with the court officer paid the $200 bail and left. No problem.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
They looked at my ID, and record it for whatever reason.
If you gave the bail money, they have to record who, what, where, when.

When he shows up at his court date, they will mail you a check in the amount of the original bail you paid.

If he doesn't show at court and you lose your bail money forever, they need to document that too.

If you showed up and gave the person arrested the bail money who then gave it the police, they want to document that also. It is often that BOTH the arrestee and 'friend' come looking for that same money to be returned to them.

Reactions: NRATC53
#10 ·
It's been a long while, but they used to steal I think 2% when they returned it.

#13 ·
I doubt it. As crazy as things are, it would still be a stretch for them to hold that against you. You bailed out someone who hasn't even been found guilty yet! Besides, if there is something legally or morally wrong with bailing someone out then the judge shouldn't even be granting bail in the first place.

#9 ·
Just make sure you wear a sufficient amount of aluminum foil in your head covering.

Just slightly OT, I bailed out a girl who then immediately went on a bender and OD'd. I was able to get the bail money back, less a processing fee (5% I believe) after I submitted her death certificate. It took a while.

Back on topic, where in the unSAFE act could it even remotely be interpreted to say that bailing someone out can affect the right to own firearms?

#16 ·
Yep... little by little until they get wherever they are now... (someone else posted 5%?) It's not right taking ANYTHING from someone's bail - which is a "security deposit" just like when you rent an apartment.... you get it ALL back if things are "returned".

#17 ·
Bail is an assurance that someone will return for court/trial. A person being released on bail has only been accused of a crime at that point, not convicted. Either way, it's not a PL reference or bounty.
Even in NY, if your worried about this I think your big brother may have picked on you too much.

Be clear on the difference between bail and bond. Bail you will see again (hopefully), bond is a fee for someone else to put up the bail, that is like your virginity and your not getting it back.

#19 ·
Don't blame you for asking. I'm afraid to jaywalk since I got my permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.