Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love ribs. Actually, if it comes off a pig, I'll probably eat it. But, I love ribs; baby back, St. Louis, doesn't matter.

I don't usually cook them because I can't always make a fire and take the time to babysit them. I prefer charcoal/wood to gas BBQing.

Anyway, I was shopping at the new Pats Marketplace in East Islip and they had some baby back ribs for $3.99 a pound, so I bought them.

I have been watching cooking shows for 40 years and I have seen some chefs tout roasting ribs in the oven and how good it could be. I was a skeptic. WAS.

I made my own rub. Rubbed them Tuesday night and let them marinate in the refrigerator overnight wrapped in plastic and aluminum. Cooked them up last night and let me tell you, I'll be having ribs all winter now! HAHA They came out juicy and tender with a nice "bite" to them meaning they weren't mushy falling off the bone, but were an easy bite to eat. WOW!

I have seen so many rubs. I just made up my own:

1/4 Cup - Light Brown Sugar

1 Tablespoon each:
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder​
Ground Ginger​
Dry Mustard​
White Pepper​
Lemon Pepper​
Mild Chili Powder​
Ground Cumin​

1 Teaspoon - Smoked Paprika (next time I'm pumping this to 1 Tablespoon)

2 Tablespoons - Kosher Salt

Next time I am adding Cayenne for heat.

I literally rubbed the rub into the meat, then put a layer of the rub over that before wrapping them up to marinate overnight.

I started them wrapped in aluminum only in a 350 oven for about 30-35 minutes.

I unwrapped them and lowered the oven to 325 and started applying Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce every 15 minutes or so until the meat started to pull away from the bone.

Total cooking time was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

I usually serve food like this with mac and cheese and homemade cole slaw.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
I use the oven a lot when I don't want to bother with maintaining a charcoal grill or wasting propane, but I usually go a little lower. Sear on the propane grill first @ 500, then wrapped and into the oven @ 275 for 2+ hours until they pull from the bone. If you don't want to use a rub, just pat them with salt & pepper before searing then try wrapping them with just a bit of hard apple cider too (not a lot, we're not poaching them) for some extra flavor. The last 30 minutes are unwrapped with sauce of your choice.

Reactions: trapshooterbob

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Sometimes my wife will start them that way and I'll finish them off over briquettes,,,

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Perfect for Ramadan!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope everyone remembers to peel the membrane off the back of the ribs before seasoning and cooking.
I was just looking at my post and was going to edit it to add that part, THANKS!

Yes, I took that membrane off the back. Hard to get started (I used the tip of a paring knife) and hold onto, but once you get it going, comes right off.

Reactions: ChiefSailer

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
I was just looking at my post and was going to edit it to add that part, THANKS!

Yes, I took that membrane off the back. Hard to get started (I used the tip of a paring knife) and hold onto, but once you get it going, comes right off.
I usually use a thin butter knife to get under the membrane. Once you have it up try to hold onto it with a paper towel for a better grip.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Brine the ribs ( nor any pork for that matter) for a couple of hours and the meat will be tender and juicy, careful not to brine over night or the ribs will be salty

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I can never get the membrane off the spare ribs, even starting with a knife or something. It comes right off the baby backs though.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brine the ribs ( nor any pork for that matter) for a couple of hours and the meat will be tender and juicy, careful not to brine over night or the ribs will be salty
I love to brine my pork chops. Makes them so juicy. I use apple juice, salt and sugar.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Cheap needle nose pliers and then a paper towel to get a good grip on the membrane.

Can't get over oven-cooked ribs concept any more since I've been smoking but in all honesty used to make them like that way back and good meat is good meat.

However, people forget that smoking isn't only about the flavor of the smoke but the prized smoke ring is evidence of a chemical process that breaks down the collagen and tenderizes the meat. That's why a lot of classic BBQ (smoking low and slow, not grilling or direct cooking) in history used cheap cuts of meat-- brisket, pork butt. It was a way to tenderize rough cuts for the poor people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.