Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gunecologist
2,261 Posts
You can register easily if you have a bill of sale and the Country of Origin certificate.
If you bought it used they will probably accept a bill of sale from the seller, but be advised, they will grab the sales tax on the amount of sale.

·
Registered
117 Posts
you need forms MV51,MV51B, MV82,DFT802 an etching or clear photo of vin#. back date everything to show you have had it for one year or else the seller will also have to fill out the 51 and 51b. i just did one yesterday at bethpage dmv 25 minutes. if the paperwork looks right they give you the plate,sticker and a non-transferable reg on the spot, albany will send you a transferable reg a month later. you can download all the forms from nysdmv.com

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Register it in PA. It's legal to do so. Why give NY any more money ?

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,948 Posts
If my memory is correct, an ATV which is registered, falls into the category of "agricultural", like a farm tractor. The limitation is along the shoulder, with I believe an 1/8 of a mile at a time to go around an area that reaches the road edge, like a bridge etc.  IF the atv is insured, the ONLY time it is considered legal on a public road, is when the Governor declares a formal "state of emergency", like after a blizzard or hurricane. This is due to the regular vehicles not being able to make it.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Oh, and after you register the ATV in PA, register the trailer in Maine.

Reactions: monti72

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts
SigSauer228 said:
Oh, and after you register the ATV in PA, register the trailer in Maine.
What are the benefits as opposed to registering them in NYS?

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c29.htm

Read that from the DMV, basically no you can't ride on the highway unless it is designated for atv use and that is only between 2 trails. As far as registering any motor vehicle or trailer out of state which is required to be insured and then keeping it and operating it primarily in NYS that is Insurance Fraud by means of rate evasion. The PA attorney general is cracking down on that with the help of Police and DMV in NYS. Last year they arrested 29 people each doing 1-3 years(PA state prison) and fines starting $10,000, most of those arrests were in Brooklyn and Northern Manhattan which have higher concentrations of vehicles with PA plates than multiple counties of PA combined. This is the reason we in NY have to pay higher rates b/c scammers get by and those of us doing the right thing get screwed.

I know Everyone I pull over at work with PA plates and a NY drivers license may not receive a summons but I call the PA attorney general and NYPD auto crimes the next business day, as I can't build a case off just 1 traffic stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.