Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the members list and I see that many of you are just lurking. Jump in, the water is fine!

This is a friendly place. Share your views, opinions and knowledge. If you don't see a thread that interests you, start one! Ask questions, tell us about your firearms, firearms related experiences, or tell a firearm related story. Post and have fun!

This is longislandfirearms.com we have no strangers here, just friends that have not met.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Sounds good to me John. I'm not sure how much time I can devote reference to input here on this new forum, however, it is something long overdue for our area. I have scoped around a little bit and, thus far, there seems to be some great folks here. I do believe this forum will do quite well.

Eric

·
Registered
734 Posts
The reason I am lurking is that I really don't have much to add. I am bringing myself up to speed with what will be required to own and safeguard a weapon properly at home. I aslo plan on being a responsible handgun owner.
I am a total newbie. In fact I haven't even gone for the fingerprinting part of my permit yet because the appointments are few and far between.
At the present time I am more of a taker than a giver because all I've ever shot was a 22 and a 12 gauge in boyscout camp. That was 30 years ago.
I have always wanted to target shoot with a pistol but never got around to it. The way the gun laws are in Nassau, I may get my wish in October if I am lucky.

So I welcome the invitation and the warm greetings. If you have a subforum on surgery, fly fishing or lacrosse I will be an avid contributor. Until then I am soaking up info.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Armedoc,
So, when you do get your permit what firearm are you interested in?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I am lurking is that I really don't have much to add. I am bringing myself up to speed with what will be required to own and safeguard a weapon properly at home. I aslo plan on being a responsible handgun owner.
I am a total newbie. In fact I haven't even gone for the fingerprinting part of my permit yet because the appointments are few and far between.
At the present time I am more of a taker than a giver because all I've ever shot was a 22 and a 12 gauge in boyscout camp. That was 30 years ago.
I have always wanted to target shoot with a pistol but never got around to it. The way the gun laws are in Nassau, I may get my wish in October if I am lucky.

So I welcome the invitation and the warm greetings. If you have a subforum on surgery, fly fishing or lacrosse I will be an avid contributor. Until then I am soaking up info.
ARMEDOC, sorry, no sub forums!

Soak up all the information that you like. Ask questions so that you can soak up what best suits you.

At any rate, thanks for registering and a bigger thanks for posting and sharing!!!

Johnc

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
ARMEDOC. . . Welcome aboard. Have a look around and do some reading. There is a wealth of information amongst this group and they will help you with any questions you may throw at them!

Eric

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a good friend who is retired law enforcement. He showed me his collection which was made up mainly of revolvers but he had a S&W M&P 9mm which was a great fit but had way too much play in the slide and bushings looked a little loose. It didn't strike me as an accurate/precise weapon.

I am leaning towards a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I have no intention to carry/conceal. It would be strictly a range gun.

I am open to suggestions/recommendations. I figure I'll be making my purchase in Nov/Dec if all goes as planned.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Colt is a niece piece. If this is a first gun, I might suggest something a bit cheaper to buy and shoot. Consider a target .22.

You can ponder this link for some ideas.

www.genitron.com

Take nothing away from the Colt. I just am not sure that it is the best choice for a first handgun.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
My first handgun was a Colt Python 4" .357 mag. I shot quite a few .38s out of that thing and had lots of fun plinking.
Good thing I kept it.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,971 Posts
Hey doc! Welcome. My first pistol was a .22 High Standard. THEN I got a GoldCup and away I went, a lifetime of shooting bliss.
Nassau Co. is intimidating, with the paperwork and references and all, but its worth it and I was more determined than ever not to let the bastards get in my way.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That is good to hear. I get fingerprinted and interviewed in a week. My references are all first rate. Not discouraged in the least about the paperwork.
I am just discouraged about the recent strings of senseless shootings that are claiming lives and threatening our right to bear arms.
Heck I've waited this long to shoot..... I can wait another 6 months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts