Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the girl i am dating wants to take the hunter safety course to go hunting with me this fall. But she does not want to take it alone. Does anyone know if its ok if I just attend it again for a second time? I really do not want to take away a seat from someone who wants to start hunting by registering but at the same time i feel it would be good to do a refresher, just not sure if it is permitted to take again or if it would effect my hunting status.

It is the Aug 25 and 26th course in Farmingdale I see the names of the instructors but i cant find their contact information.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I've taken it twice, although I didn't have to it had been about 10 years since I last hunted and felt it would be good to refresh. It caused no problems with my license.

Reactions: gopedxr7

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
Take the class and keep the girl.

I would contact the instructor and explain the situation - they probably won't count you as a participant of the class (which will keep a seat open) if you're not taking the test. You might even want to volunteer if needed with the hands on stuff.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I took the course 2 extra times when my 2 kids each took the class. At 11 years old, it wasn't an option to leave them alone. Besides, the course had additional info since I first took it 30 years ago.

Btw, you better get a 100% on the test the 2nd time around, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Bob as long as there an extra seat sit and enjoy or if you think the class will be filled and don't want to take away some some seat bring your own chair I have a few fathers/boy-friends do this and i am all ways happy to have them there
have fun and give your advise if you feel it is needed

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob as long as there an extra seat sit and enjoy or if you think the class will be filled and don't want to take away some some seat bring your own chair I have a few fathers/boy-friends do this and i am all ways happy to have them there
ok that is good to hear that it is a normal thing to have someone come with them, thanks! do you know where i can get the contact info of instructors? i would like to just give a heads up so they know an extra will be in the room

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
we are going to cabellas in PA this Sunday. she wants a lever action hunting rifle. she just cant decide on a caliber.

oh and i am planning on putting a post together one day for all the liberal responses i got on dating sites haha

ok that is good to hear that it is a normal thing to have someone come with them, thanks! do you know where i can get the contact info of instructors? i would like to just give a heads up so they know an extra will be in the room
You will hear lots of things regarding the choice of rifle. Make sure it fits her and is manageable. A Marlin lever in .35 will work for most North American Game but the recoil is stout for a smaller shooter, .30-30 is a popular choice and probably what I'd look toward.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
My wife hunts with me on occasion.
And by hunt - I mean she dresses in camo, carries a gun and then proceeds to play bubble pop on her phone sitting under a tree for a few hours. I want her to come with me upstate for a quick weekend trip this season, but I know better then to push it.

It is truly a blessing!

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
we are going to cabellas in PA this Sunday. she wants a lever action hunting rifle. she just cant decide on a caliber.
for a gun a if she just going to hunt deer with it go with a 30/30 marlin with a scope i use Bushnell 4X on my 30/30 or even a 44 if she want to go for bear one day get a 35 this is the guns I hunt and find them excellent for hunting New York also i hunted bear in main and audad in Texas

as for getting in-touch with the instucter go to the page you signed up on should have his information on it

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would highly recommend the Henry Big Boy in 44 Magnum. Henry has made a blued version this year,which is better for hunting,less glare The action is very smooth compared to Marlin or Winchester.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I would highly recommend the Henry Big Boy in 44 Magnum. Henry has made a blued version this year,which is better for hunting,less glare The action is very smooth compared to Marlin or Winchester.
I do have this gun and its just what he said I took it up hunting last season and will do so this season along with my 50 cal. Hawkins

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
Do you offer classes somewhere. my son needs to take it. i may take it as well. i can use a refresher. any link to sign up

thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.