Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
  • As you know bills are introduced all the time; do you have any sense of the likelihood of this bill actually becoming law?
  • Do lawmakers understand the expense that this will involve when manufacturers pass the cost on to the consumer?
  • Do law makers understand that this will only impact lawful gun owners and not illegal gun possession and use?
  • Secondly, are law makers aware that in the same manner that rifling leaves a distinct mark on a projectile when a shell casing is ejected from a weapon it also leaves a unique mark on the shell casing that can be matched to the weapon with scientific certainty which is admissible in a criminal prosecution.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I believe they will pass it as nobody is pushing back against gun control in Albany.

Nobody cares about cost or anything else. None of that will come up in the discussion as there won't be any discussion on the merits of this idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there anything this forum can do? I have no problem with common sense or well reasoned laws that achieve a purpose, however, this is all about feeling good about passing legislation for the sole purpose of passing legislation.

The proponents of this legislation do not have any understanding of what they are doing and more importantly will only achieve further infringement on lawful gun owners. What criminal will make sure that the gun purchased to commit a crime has a micro stamp device?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Proponents of this crap know exactly what they're doing.

Gun owners need to be involved with Democrat party politics at all levels and participate in their candidate selection process. Nothing good will happen in this state until Democrats view 2A activists as part of their constituency.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hard to get there since most democrats and a significant number of republicans in NY do not support the 2A or are hesitant to do so in public. In fact, as you know it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion designed to determine: (1) what are legislators attempting to accomplish; (2) are the laws enacted furthering said goal.

Also perhaps analyzing how previously passed laws have been effective, for example:

-Did the requirement that ammunition be purchased through an FFL reduce gun related crimes?

-Did the prohibition on 10 round magazines reduces gun related crimes?

-How is micro stamping going to reduce crime? In fact it may aid in resolving a crime in that the micro stamp will identify the weapon in a county like Nassau and Suffolk where there is a gun registry. However, it will not assist in resolving a crime unless the crime is done by a lawful gun owner who has possession of the weapon. It is rare of a lawful handgun owner to commit a crime.

-Did the prohibition against a threaded barrel prevent any crimes or simply just increased the cost of ownership?

-Have legislators thought about how restrictive rules prevent gun owners from training? In light of the recent increase in handgun purchases I am concerned there will be a significant number of individuals who have purchased guns and will never train on proper use, clearing and cleaning procedures. I am afraid of a traffic infraction resulting in a stop and me unwittingly violating a gun law.

None of the above research has been done. However, I am sure that in the future someone will just draw a correlation between handgun accidents and increased gun ownership in order to facilitate additional restrictions.

-Progress will only be achieved by objective use of data.

-We all support safety but not the use of misinformation in order to continue to further restrict lawful ownership

Lastly, I am surprised how in a place like NY, whicjh already has so many restrictions, legislators can come up with new restrictions and proposed legislation every month.

·
Right-wing Sith
6,499 Posts
Hard to get there since most democrats and a significant number of republicans in NY do not support the 2A or are hesitant to do so in public. In fact, as you know it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion designed to determine: (1) what are legislators attempting to accomplish; (2) are the laws enacted furthering said goal.

Also perhaps analyzing how previously passed laws have been effective, for example:

-Did the requirement that ammunition be purchased through an FFL reduce gun related crimes?

-Did the prohibition on 10 round magazines reduces gun related crimes?

-How is micro stamping going to reduce crime? In fact it may aid in resolving a crime in that the micro stamp will identify the weapon in a county like Nassau and Suffolk where there is a gun registry. However, it will not assist in resolving a crime unless the crime is done by a lawful gun owner who has possession of the weapon. It is rare of a lawful handgun owner to commit a crime.

-Did the prohibition against a threaded barrel prevent any crimes or simply just increased the cost of ownership?

-Have legislators thought about how restrictive rules prevent gun owners from training? In light of the recent increase in handgun purchases I am concerned there will be a significant number of individuals who have purchased guns and will never train on proper use, clearing and cleaning procedures. I am afraid of a traffic infraction resulting in a stop and me unwittingly violating a gun law.

None of the above research has been done. However, I am sure that in the future someone will just draw a correlation between handgun accidents and increased gun ownership in order to facilitate additional restrictions.

-Progress will only be achieved by objective use of data.

-We all support safety but not the use of misinformation in order to continue to further restrict lawful ownership

Lastly, I am surprised how in a place like NY, whicjh already has so many restrictions, legislators can come up with new restrictions and proposed legislation every month.
These laws have nothing to do with solving or preventing crimes. It is about disarming regular law-abiding Americans. That's one of the things Communists (and their kissing cousins, the fascists) do to maintain power. You can not successfully unleash the leftist mobs on your opponents if your opponents are able to defend themselves.

Just for the record I am not over-stating the issue.

To put it another way, you can not take away the liberties of people if they are well-armed.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
7 or so years, I am outta here, I'll take my equity and spending somewhere else, NY is a piss pot, and until Cuomo is removed from office, this will never stop.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
can you say, "Letitia ?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts