Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
My cousin spend 23 years NYPD OCCB in Queens [ Narc] . When the unsafe crap went into effect [ before he bailed out] he didn't believe me about that the new law applied to him once he retired. Seems the PD brass sort of lied to the rank and file.
All the fun stuff is now gone, and he ain't a happy camper

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
depends on dept policy, I know nassau requires it to be disposed of when retired.
Really? How can department policy rule a retired officer? And I think the state law is clear on what a retired sworn officer can/can't own - a department policy can't supersede that.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
My cousin spend 23 years NYPD OCCB in Queens [ Narc] . When the unsafe crap went into effect [ before he bailed out] he didn't believe me about that the new law applied to him once he retired. Seems the PD brass sort of lied to the rank and file.
All the fun stuff is now gone, and he ain't a happy camper
Lied about what? The law was clear - it's bullsheet, but clear. If he wanted to keep them in original configuration, he had to register them. He also had an opportunity to register or legalize (reconfigure) after his retirement and keep them. The 'department' can say what they want, but the law is there for him to see.

Reactions: killian

·
Registered
497 Posts
so much misinformation in this thread I dont know where to start.
Firstly, other then pistols and NFA fireaarms, your dept will not know what you own, therefore they can't "force" you to do anything after you retire.
Secondly, there is a provision in the law that allows you to keep any non-compliant firearm so long as you "qualified" with it with your dept in a certain time frame prior to retirement.

How they know you qualified with anything is beyond me as I don't know of any depts that write you a letter saying you qualified with such and such weapon. Nor do I know what type if any documentation the state would require from you to be considered eligible.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so much misinformation in this thread I dont know where to start.
Firstly, other then pistols and NFA fireaarms, your dept will not know what you own, therefore they can't "force" you to do anything after you retire.
Secondly, there is a provision in the law that allows you to keep any non-compliant firearm so long as you "qualified" with it with your dept in a certain time frame prior to retirement.

How they know you qualified with anything is beyond me as I don't know of any depts that write you a letter saying you qualified with such and such weapon. Nor do I know what type if any documentation the state would require from you to be considered eligible.
ok, i'm gonna go by what you say.

Its good to know that an LEO can keep an "assault weapon" post NY Safe Act after he/she retires with the "qualification" test.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lied about what? The law was clear - it's bullsheet, but clear. If he wanted to keep them in original configuration, he had to register them. He also had an opportunity to register or legalize (reconfigure) after his retirement and keep them. The 'department' can say what they want, but the law is there for him to see.
If you remember when the crap act first came out. It was very unclear about cops owning them. As far as register or convert them ?????? really ????????

·
Registered
497 Posts
ok, i'm gonna go by what you say.

Its good to know that an LEO can keep an "assault weapon" post NY Safe Act after he/she retires with the "qualification" test.
Just for reference, it's penal law 265.20 sub section E. It's shadily written about high capacity magazines but in the same subsection talks about qualifying with the firearm the magazine goes into.

Also note, HR218 plays a role somewhere in here aswell as far as invalidating some aspects of the SAFE act as it relates to retired officers.. By technicality, on its face, you don't even need a pistol permit to possess a pistol in NYS if you qualify under HR218. It's a very large gray area that hasn't really been addressed yet.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
If you remember when the crap act first came out. It was very unclear about cops owning them. As far as register or convert them ?????? really ????????
I don't remember it being unclear, but maybe a couple of years ago it was. There WAS a big issue with mag capacity....
And yes, really. Upon retirement, register, reconfigure, destroy or get them out of state (or break the law).
You can play around with 'what you qualified with', but if you're on the bad side of a domestic dispute and some by-the-book officer/Sgt sees your AK, FAL, Uzi, etc. good luck telling him you qual'd with it right before you retired.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
In short ...The LEO safe act exemption says...if you are a qualified RLEO... AND you purchased or were issued a firearm defined as an AW for official use ..AND you qualified with it ... you can register it after you retire..

http://www.scribd.co.../Safe-Exemption
I'd have to sit down and re-read the mess - but I recall there was a grayish convoluted bit about the retiree could keep his cosmetically-challenged fireams, IF they were registered PRIOR to April 2014.... no registration AFTER April 2104.

BUT- -there is also a provision that said if you were caught with an unregistered item, you would have 30 days to register it... (and a misdemeanor charge)..

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
My Agency before the 2004 sunset of Clinton crime bill allowed officers to purchase Colt LE/Gov't AR-15 rifles for $650 ... Once you retired the rifle was to be sold because it was for active LE only.
You may register now under Safe or make it compliant.

·
Registered
656 Posts
According to the unsafe act, if you were authorized and qualified with the AW prior to retirement and you own one, you get to register and keep it with all the evil features. One problem, no one as of yet at the NYSP knows how to accomplish that.

Technically speaking, there is case law under LEOSA that would let you keep it,even in NYC, as long as it's not a prohibited firearm under federal law. No class three, so if it ain't a machine gun, SBR or silenced...enjoy it.

Now, no one in city or state government will acknowledge the above, especially the NYPD, although they know it's true.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.