Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to archery hunting on Long Island (I generally hunt rifle season upstate). Where in Suffolk would you recommend a newbie go? I am looking to hunt a few weekends out east. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am new to archery hunting on Long Island (I generally hunt rifle season upstate). Where in Suffolk would you recommend a newbie go? I am looking to hunt a few weekends out east. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out thrill of the hunt. Great place to start. Indoor3d.com

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out thrill of the hunt. Great place to start. Indoor3d.com

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
As A new bow hunter to long island I recommend you go out to Ridge they will assign you a spot to hunt
you will turn in your hunting License to them and they will give you a arm band when you return to the cabin you will get your License back and return to them the arm band
Good luck with your Long Island Hunt
papabear

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
As A new bow hunter to long island I recommend you go out to Ridge they will assign you a spot to hunt
you will turn in your hunting License to them and they will give you a arm band when you return to the cabin you will get your License back and return to them the arm band
Good luck with your Long Island Hunt
papabear

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
III%
2,787 Posts
smallcigar said:

Thanks
Take Papabear's advice but also get your seasonal pass from the DEC and get your feet on the ground out there NOW. Scout , Scout , and scout some more. Hit as many spots as you can between now and the season opener. You dont know which spot will be available so having a few choices is a must. There are a ton of deer out here but you have to do your homework . My hunting season started 2 weeks ago. I'm covered in chigger bites and probably have west nile but I will shoot a 130 or better again this year!

·
III%
2,787 Posts
smallcigar said:

Thanks
Take Papabear's advice but also get your seasonal pass from the DEC and get your feet on the ground out there NOW. Scout , Scout , and scout some more. Hit as many spots as you can between now and the season opener. You dont know which spot will be available so having a few choices is a must. There are a ton of deer out here but you have to do your homework . My hunting season started 2 weeks ago. I'm covered in chigger bites and probably have west nile but I will shoot a 130 or better again this year!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Contact DEC out in stonybrook and get an access permit for DEC lands  they will give you a map of hunting areas with parking areas and a tag for your car. I believe bow hunting you don't have to check in at ridge but if you tag a deer you do

·
Banned
0 Posts
Contact DEC out in stonybrook and get an access permit for DEC lands  they will give you a map of hunting areas with parking areas and a tag for your car. I believe bow hunting you don't have to check in at ridge but if you tag a deer you do

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
when getting ready get some good bug spray that has det in it read directions on can and never spray on skin your close only it will kill 99 54 of all ticks and jiggers that get on you
papabear

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
when getting ready get some good bug spray that has det in it read directions on can and never spray on skin your close only it will kill 99 54 of all ticks and jiggers that get on you
papabear

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
PaPaBear said:
papabear
DEET works well for a lot of bugs but you need pyrethrins to repel ticks, BNL's resource manager did a lot of field work on what's effective

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
PaPaBear said:
papabear
DEET works well for a lot of bugs but you need pyrethrins to repel ticks, BNL's resource manager did a lot of field work on what's effective

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.