Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Meh. No holes, just little divots. The disks below were shot with 308 FMJ and 62 grain green tips. They made little divots.
Another member (who shall rename nameless) bragged his 55 grain polymer tip reloads zipped through his steel disks. I told him that someone sold him some crappy steel as targets, mine came from Wideners.

Edit: 3/8ths thickness. The copper smear is my friend shooting it when it hung sideways after the link holding it was shot off.

Circle Astronomical object Metal Oval Art

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I've shot at ar500 with Swiss 7.5x55, 7.62x55 and 62 grain .223. It is impervious. except for as Mad Russian says.. divoting.. except when hit on the edge..and i have blown away a couple of carriage bolts. (BTW..this is 1/2 inch thick

Attachments

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
AR500 plates come in different thicknesses which effects performance. Anything less than 3/8" is not designed for Hi-caliber rifles.

EDITED to add: .308/30-06 up...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I bought some "ar500 1/2in" targets from DSI at 40$ For a 6in plate and shot it with 55grain Tula 223, greentips, and 308. Almost all the rounds left a nice size crater. Pretty disappointed at that. I'll upload a pic later.m

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I have a 8 inch 3/8 inch thick and a 4 inch 1/2 inch thick gongs, both AR 500steel, I bought from Amazon (I love Amazon) and have shot them with hundreds of rounds from my AR and my M1 Garand at 100 yards and both plates only have small dents. I don't know if anything under a 50 cal will penetrate the AR500 steel especially if they are hanging from chains. The steel is so tuff it is a task to cut it with a metal cut off saw or a torch

·
21,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought some "ar500 1/2in" targets from DSI at 40$ For a 6in plate and shot it with 55grain Tula 223, greentips, and 308. Almost all the rounds left a nice size crater. Pretty disappointed at that. I'll upload a pic later.m
Much cheaper at Wideners....

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Like most things, the more you use it the shorter the life span. We've been through numerous rifle plates after abusing them with 1000's of 5.56/.223 rounds. First they divot, then they crack.

·
21,922 Posts
One must be able to see his target without a scope to abuse some steel at 100yds with 7.62x54r... maybe I will provide assistance with this task next time. Got some 8mm we can smack that target with too
Keep it up laughing boy! Pretty soon you'll wonder where your free time went...

Bubba Nagant is getting a scout scope treatment again after he rudely smacked me in the nose with the scope because I was too stupid to pull the stock into the shoulder. 3/8ths to 7/8ths dovetail adapter is on the way....

·
21,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will notice that the Hits were with .308 and 62gr green tips . Why no hits with 7.62 Soviet? Hmm.
Two reasons:

1) Hard to see a dark grey disk at 100 yards. (ex: the red dot on the AR completely covered the disk)
2) Mosin iron sights aren't that good, and my spotter kept saying "...a little to the right and up..." followed by a shot and "...I meant a little to the left..."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Two reasons:

1) Hard to see a dark grey disk at 100 yards. (ex: the red dot on the AR completely covered the disk)
2) Mosin iron sights aren't that good, and my spotter kept saying "...a little to the right and up..." followed by a shot and "...I meant a little to the left..."

Good test.
Hardened steel of that thickness and up is some quite hard stuff to shoot through. Guess that's why they invented German 88's, sabots and shaped charges.

What red dot were you using? My Aimpoint Pro only covers 2" @ 100 yards. You'd be gonging that thing with every shot.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Two reasons:

It wasn't painted "barn door red"

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
Keep it up laughing boy! Pretty soon you'll wonder where your free time went...

Bubba Nagant is getting a scout scope treatment again after he rudely smacked me in the nose with the scope because I was too stupid to pull the stock into the shoulder. 3/8ths to 7/8ths dovetail adapter is on the way....
If it's a bubba, why scout scope it? Drill and tap the receiver sissy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.