Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are located in Nassau...you can try Hunters in Massapequa, I was in there like 2 weeks ago with my buddy that was looking to purchase an AR and they had a couple of Rock River AR's in stock....plus they are a good bunch of guys in there......Good Luck!  

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Cheese it boys, there's a copper in the house!

Hello offisir! Hiya doin?!

Being an LEO you can have all the "eeevil" features we civilians can't have. But IMHO opinion, I wouldn't bother with them, they don't add functionality, and when you retire you will have to pay to make the rifle compliant.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Recommendation depends on exactly what kind of shooting you plan to do, RRA makes a lot of models, all very nice stuff. Their NM2 trigger is very nice for the price.

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
I would say just build your own.

ar15sales.com (which many of us have used) has all the parts you would need to assemble your own, or you can just buy a complete rifle from them and have it shipped to Volko or something.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Welcome to the forum sir.My suggestion is to deal with Hunter Sports for a Rock River.Are you set on buying only a Rock River or open to any others?Are you planning on using it for duty? If yes I would buy a Colt 6920.I would not trust my life with a pretty plinker.IMHO Rock River is overrated.I always hear how nice the fit is between upper and lower.The 2 stage triggers are nice!That doesnt make a fighting rifle.How about them batch tested parts and that neutered bolt carrier...just a few out of many that i personally dont like.This is not to bash Rock River they are just not "duty" rifles.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
I ordered a RRA EO2 from hunter a month ago. He quoted 90 days. No one local has any EO2's civilian style in stock. Not sure what they have in LEO version. You should probably bounce around a bit and look.

Welcome to the boards, good people here. Thank you for your service!

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
vmtcmt said:
Tell that to the DEA.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=214

A friend who is a LEO in another state was issued one of these, and loves it. Said he will buy it from the department before he returns it.

To the OP, take a look at South Shore Sportsman. They have plenty of LEO models in different brands. They won't steer you wrong.
I have never seen a Government RR so i really cant say but if its out of spec like the civi versions than Id rather spend the extra $1300 on mounting my own $500 Eotech and about $100 on a Surefire light and mount and still have $700 left to put down on another rifle!! Rock River makes a fine rifle for what we all use them for but when he mentioned he was a LEO(where his life would depend on it on a daily basis... also if home defense) thats why he should go for top tier....Colt,LMT,DD,BCM

Once again this is what would work for me.I think we all should make purchases based on what works for our individual needs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you are open to other brands, what are you willing to spend? You have some really top end LMT, BCM,COLT, Patriot, or Knights Armament. It all depends on your budget and type of use. If you have the time and inclination building your own can be very rewarding in many ways.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
anthony5.56 said:
Welcome to the forum sir.My suggestion is to deal with Hunter Sports for a Rock River.Are you set on buying only a Rock River or open to any others?Are you planning on using it for duty? If yes I would buy a Colt 6920.I would not trust my life with a pretty plinker.IMHO Rock River is overrated.I always hear how nice the fit is between upper and lower.The 2 stage triggers are nice!That doesnt make a fighting rifle.How about them batch tested parts and that neutered bolt carrier...just a few out of many that i personally dont like.This is not to bash Rock River they are just not "duty" rifles.
Nassau's BSO uses them. They've had them a few years now and no issues so far. They run them heavy with full DD rails, a red dot sight and a Surefire M900. They get regular use and good beating training wise as well as operationally. They seem to work fine. To wit: they've always gone bang when the trigger was pulled and there have been zero mechanical failures.

You have valid points with regards to the batch testing. I think there are a lot of people who would say the same. The "neutered bolt carrier" doesn't affect the function of the rifle. Some live by the "chart" and "tier one" manufacturers. Some don't.

Besides RRA, and if you want to stick to the better makers there are always the Colts, but also look at LMT and Bravo Company. Both are mil spec guns and meet the same manufacturing practices as Colt.

Truthfully, if you find a place that has them in stock on line you'll do better price wise. Also, some companies run LE specials which would get you a deeper discount.

Also, rightfully so, most of the LI gun shops won't sell you a gun with the evil features because of the recent raids, Rice assaults and legal hassles that could visit them again. I can give you solid examples of Nassau guys having these issues.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
rock river is (from what I have been hearing) a great choice. State troppers here have them as well. My buddy says it may just shoots really nice and feels better then the colt he had years ago. could be do to changes in mfg process or just his .02,

·
Registered
414 Posts
If I am LEO & don't have to be ban compliant, I would definitely go for a piston gun like the HK MR556. That's my only choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.