Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
My first question is "why"? And my second is what conclusions were drawn, that the AR was superior to the AK??? Well at least he admits that theses are extreme rates of fire that most likely never happen in real world combat. If so youd be SOL and ammo! Heres the mantra...its not a machine gun, its an M16/M4/AK.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My first question is "why"? And my second is what conclusions were drawn, that the AR was superior to the AK??? Well at least he admits that theses are extreme rates of fire that most likely never happen in real world combat. If so youd be SOL and ammo! Heres the mantra...its not a machine gun, its an M16/M4/AK.
He first made the AR video for his channel. Lots of people liked it so he made an AK version. It is nothing more then a fun video to watch. I am sure it was fun to make as well.

Plus it is better then another thread about the confederate flag.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Im going to call bs. If you know how an AK is built, I don't see how the barrel can walk out of the trunion. My guess poorly done FA conversion and they didn't want to bash the builder since he was there. You can see how much effort it took to charge the rifle from the start and once the "fail" occured you can hear the hammer wasn't falling when the trigger was pulled.

The hit it against a tree to seat the barrel? It took a steel several ton press to get that barrel in with the interference and they pushed it in by hitting it against a soft tree. Nope BS.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Im going to call bs. If you know how an AK is built, I don't see how the barrel can walk out of the trunion. My guess poorly done FA conversion and they didn't want to bash the builder since he was there. You can see how much effort it took to charge the rifle from the start and once the "fail" occured you can hear the hammer wasn't falling when the trigger was pulled.

The hit it against a tree to seat the barrel? It took a steel several ton press to get that barrel in with the interference and they pushed it in by hitting it against a soft tree. Nope BS.
i don't like AK's but I think they should do another. As far as your theory I disagree. If it was a poor build/lemon they could've very easily just made another video. It's not like it was a live broadcast.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Lots of fail in the ak video, and not just of the gun. I didn't watch the whole video, just the failure and the part where he described the failure. The part that he is describing as the trunnion "that walked out" is not the trunnion, but the rear sight block, and it appears to be where it is supposed to be. The rivets on the front end appear to be fine,and the barrel pin also seems fine as well. The bolt carrier failing to go fully into battery (as seen when the failure occurs) would not be indicative of the barrel walking out, but of either a barrel that was seated too far, or the gas piston getting jammed in the gas tube. Or of what happened in this case, which i will get to momentarily. First some comments.

1. It's a century build. Could end it right here, but i will continue.
2. The wasr is built from the same parts used to manufacture military aks in Romania. Big difference is, the parts used for the wasrs did not meet the qc standards to be used for military rifles, so they are then used for commercial sale to civilians. Not the end of the world though.
3. If you could adjust the headspace of a barrel by hitting it against a tree, either the trunnion journal is too large or the barrel journal is too small, and within the first dozen or so rounds it will walk out again.

Here's what happened. The last round to successfully fire suffered a neck seperation, leaving the end of the case lodged in the chamber. This will allow the next round to be fed and chambered, but not deep enough to go into battery. The safety sear on a full auto ak (commonly and incorrectly referred to as the full auto sear) prevents the disconnector from releasing the hammer until the bolt and carrier are fully seated, which explains the failure of the hammer to drop when he pulls the trigger. Them whacking the barrel against a tree could have dislodged the stuck case head, especially since the barrel had most likely could down by then.

You witnessed an ammo failure, not a firearm failure. You actually witnessed the ingenious design of the ak, which prevented a catastrophic failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.