Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got out to Calverton with a new build today and shot the first round, second round click. Drop the magazine pulled the bolt back and saw it never chambered the next round. Did this numerous times before I disassembled the bolt and relubed it with EWL30. Tried again same thing.
Swapped bolts (always bring a spare) same problem.
Swapped lowers with another, same problem. After about 15 rounds total I took everything apart again and noticed a pretty deep gash (for only 15 rounds) on my charging handle. After looking into it further it looks like my upper is out of spec and the charging handle is rubbing against the inside of the upper, I don't see anything noticible though. If there is a little burr in there would a local shop be able to clean it up or do I just need a new receiver?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, just switched it with another lower, both lowers I used at the range are ace stocks (one skeleton and one m4 socom) and it looks like the charging handle is rubbing on the foam of the stock. Not sure what that would have to do with it not cycling though

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
When you say "cycling" does the bolt come back after a shot is fired? If it does, there are a few things to check:
Is the buffer correct length and weight?
Is the recoil spring kinked anywhere?
Is the gas tube too far in the block and not enough gas is getting by?
Is the block aligned correctly to the gas port?
Is the gas tube aligned correctly to the bolt?

Start by tearing the rifle down and rebuilding it, this time making sure everything is aligned correctly.

Or by a Saiga and never worry about plastik popgun breaking.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say "cycling" does the bolt come back after a shot is fired? If it does, there are a few things to check:
Is the buffer correct length and weight?
Is the recoil spring kinked anywhere?
Is the gas tube too far in the block and not enough gas is getting by?
Is the block aligned correctly to the gas port?
Is the gas tube aligned correctly to the bolt?

Start by tearing the rifle down and rebuilding it, this time making sure everything is aligned correctly.

Or by a Saiga and never worry about plastik popgun breaking.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Once or twice it fired 2 consecutive rounds and on the 3rd round click. Once a case got stuck partially ejected that I had to clear. I was thinking a gas issue at first but not 100% sure that's it. I tried 2 different lowers, one with a rifle length buffer the other with a carbine length buffer, had the same problem with both. Part of the weird thing is the bolt would go foward (I checked before shooting the next round bc of the problem) and think it was good to go and click. No round was chambered. Tried different magazines as well and the magazines worked fine on my other AR

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,727 Posts
It's short cycling... Either it's a gas issue or buffer weight/spring issue. More likely a gas issue imo. Springs and buffers are fairly standard. assuming we're talking .223/5.56 factory ammo.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Sounds like its short stoking due to lack of gas. Bolt is traveling back just far enough to eject the case but not far enough to pick up the next round. Check the the alignment of all the gas components. The wear on he charging handle is fine on the outside, wear on the inside, where the gas key rides would concern me.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Did you give the internals a good cleaning prior to firing? Helped a buddy with a short stroking issue, he had never cleaned it upon purchasing and there was a bunch of crap gumming up the lugs. Once it got warm it would fire fine, but the first few shots they were gumming it up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya you guys are confirming what I was thinking originally with the gas issue. It's a midlength gas tube with a Yankee hill clamp on gas block. I've used them in the past and never had an issue, might have overlooked something though putting it together. Prior to shooting everything was stripped and cleaned (all brand new parts). Looks like tomorrow of I have time I'll break it all down and see if everything is aligned properly again. Thanks for the advice guys I'll keep you all posted.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Ya you guys are confirming what I was thinking originally with the gas issue. It's a midlength gas tube with a Yankee hill clamp on gas block. I've used them in the past and never had an issue, might have overlooked something though putting it together. Prior to shooting everything was stripped and cleaned (all brand new parts). Looks like tomorrow of I have time I'll break it all down and see if everything is aligned properly again. Thanks for the advice guys I'll keep you all posted.
If you have access to compressed air try blowing from the gas tube's end in the Upper receiver and see if air exits the barrel via the gas block. Don't exceed 30 psi to avoid skin damage

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
If you have access to compressed air try blowing from the gas tube's end in the Upper receiver and see if air exits the barrel via the gas block. Don't exceed 30 psi to avoid skin damage
Bingo...this is just something I do. Place EMPTY CASE or laser sighter round in the chamber. I used a computer dust blower that uses CO2 cartridges (10 bucks at comp store) . Stick it in the muzzle and a puff should blow the bolt back easily.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Bingo...this is just something I do. Place EMPTY CASE or laser sighter round in the chamber. I used a computer dust blower that uses CO2 cartridges (10 bucks at comp store) . Stick it in the muzzle and a puff should blow the bolt back easily.
Even easier

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
please take a picture of the upper and let us see it. Are you using a free float hand guard? If so, remember that you might need to keep a space between the gas block and the part of the barrel where the hand guard cap goes. if there is no hand guard cap you must take in to account that space.... I bet the block might be misaligned and you are not getting enough gas.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.