Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used AR-15 parts in a .308, I was told that many parts are the same. Can the buffer and spring work in an AR-10 ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
It may work but I don't know how well, you need a strong enough spring to counter the force of the 308 bolt coming back. Worse comes to worse you just swap it out. Google "difference between ar15 and ar308 buffer spring" If you using a carbine length buffer tube you actually need an special buffer for the longer AR 308 Bolt Carrier. The AR 308 buffer is shorter than the AR15 buffer.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a carbine length to fit the Thordsen Stock. I know the gunsmith was complaining about how difficult it was finding a .308 buffer and other parts. He said many parts from an AR -15 did fit in the PSA.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
You need to use a .308 carbine spring and .308 buffer. We have them in stock.

Reactions: boosti

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to use a .308 carbine spring and .308 buffer. We have them in stock.
I talked to the gun shop, he ordered a .308 buffer and spring. I purchased the .308 LPK from Jerry's.
The gunsmith wasn't happy with the parts from the kit I bought, magazine release wasn't threaded correctly, had to fit parts in order to work.
The .308 lpk was difficult to find, only Jerry's had it in stock when I looked.

·
Sharp Shooter!
356 Posts
I talked to the gun shop, he ordered a .308 buffer and spring. I purchased the .308 LPK from Jerry's.
The gunsmith wasn't happy with the parts from the kit I bought, magazine release wasn't threaded correctly, had to fit parts in order to work.
If you need assistance, regarding this issue, let us know. I want to clarify is this a CMMG 308 parts kit? We have had zero issues to date with this kit, CMMG being a well known quality manufacturer in the industry. The CMMG kit is used on all of our AR-10 complete rifles. Install is always seamless. We also take it a step further, and field test each build to make sure all the internal components are working properly before it gets to our customer.

You are still welcome to contact us regarding this parts kit issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good part sources for AR builders: 1) Dark Storm Industries 2) Primary Arms 3) Firearms 4 less 4) Rainier Arms. Also check out Faxon Firearms, they make some really nice barrels at a good price

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you need assistance, regarding this issue, let us know. I want to clarify is this a CMMG 308 parts kit? We have had zero issues to date with this kit, CMMG being a well known quality manufacturer in the industry. The CMMG kit is used on all of our AR-10 complete rifles. Install is always seamless. We also take it a step further, and field test each build to make sure all the internal components are working properly before it gets to our customer.

I don't recall the brand. It was the .308 LPK that was priced at $99, CMMG usually has the parts in colored packages for AR Builds.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I appreciate the help by standing behind a product.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The buffer and spring are important for the AR to function properly. I hear the flat spring is better compared to a round spring.
It can get expensive using these aftermarket parts. The .308 is definitely a good caliber in the AR platform.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts