Long Island Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHOOTERS...YOUR PREPARATION PERIOD BEGINS NOW!!

Our Appleseed Shoot at LIPSA, October 24 & 25 is a little over a month away.
It's time we started talking about it and have anyone with questions ask them and we'll get them answered.
Also we're always open to suggestions from our Shooters.

This will be an ongoing thread because I know I won't cover (Remember) everything right now.
So......I'll begin with what I can and we'll be adding as needed.

Please feel free to add anything you may think of that I left out and also ask any question you may have about anything you're not sure of.
An Appleseed Event is a Team Event so we'll do this together.

WHAT TO BRING:

Rifle of choice. Scopes or irons. Rim Fire or Center Fire. Your choice.
Magazines. 4 would be perfect but 2 are necessary
Ammo...I'll estimate about 700 rounds for the weekend but it could go a little higher/lower.
Sling. It's important to have a sling for your Rifle.
Eye & Ear Protection.
A Mat to lay on. Can be just a piece of old carpet. Doesn't have to be fancy.
Cleaning Kit. Never hurts to carry one.
Sight Adjustment Tool for your rifle. Helps, we share at an Appleseed so someone may have it.
Chair. Not necessary but will help.
Small table. Also Not necessary but will help you keep your equipment out of the sand.
A Pop Up Canopy if you have one. Again not necessary
A LIGHT lunch. Don't want to fill up and get lazy.
FLUIDS......Very important to stay hydrated.
Sun Screen is advised. Lets hope we need it.
Clothing for ANY weather condition. Rain Gear. It's a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT.
Elbow Pads IF you prefer to use them. They usually do help but not necessary.
Staple Gun & Staples..but we can share.

Everyone will need to sign a "Liability Wavier".
If you can print one out and have it filled out upon arrival it will save some time. If not you can fill it out there.
If a Shooter is under the age of 18 his Liability Form must be signed by his/her guardian. Both names can be placed on the same form.

Here's a link to the form..................

https://appleseedinf...elease form.pdf

You can also read through this link that give info on "How to Prepare for an Event"...........

https://appleseedinf...as_prepare.html

Arrival time at the Range will be 8:15AM

When we arrive at our area you'll be directed where to park. Then please leave EVERYTHING in your vehicles and go to the "Admin Table", hand in your Release Forms and we'll need to collect the Range fee which is $20.00 per day, per shooter.
Please have the exact amount. You can pay for both days or just the first. We'll collect the second days fee on Sunday.
HOWEVER, it would make things a lot easier if you would pay for the 2 days on Saturday. Less paper work for us.

Once you're signed in and issued some material go back to your vehicles and bring your gear to the "Equipment Line".

DO NOT REMOVE ANY FIREARMS!.................. ALL FIREARMS STAY IN YOUR VEHICLES!

Leave them in your vehicles until after the "Safety Briefing".
We'll let you know when to retrieve them.
Please DO NOT carry any Pistols on your person. NO pistols are allowed (for safety reasons) on the "Firing Line".

Instructors will be there to guide everyone through this process but IMO giving you a heads up on how we're going to run this will help everything run a little smoother.
We'll work together as a team and make the most of what's planned to be a great weekend.

For those not familiar with the location of the Range here's the directions.............

Directions:
From the Long Island Expwy: to Exit 70, go south to Sunrise Hwy. Take the Hwy east to Exit 63 south, go south to the first traffic light, turn left into Gabreski Airport( Suffolk County Airport) go forward as far as you can and make a left turn on to Perimeter Road. Follow this road around until you reach the Pine Barrens Range. Ignore the sign about authorized access, you are authorized.

From Sunrise Hwy: Go east to Exit 63 south. At first traffic light make left into Gabreski Airport (Suffolk County Airport), make another left at Perimeter Road and follow the road to the Pine Barrens Range. Ignore the sign about authorized access, you are authorized.

Important: If you go over the railroad tracks, you have gone to far, turn around.

OK..................Any Questions?

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
someone back out (for a good reason of course) so i can take your spot!! lol

P.S. best cheap "shooting mat" i have found (http://www.harborfreight.com/72-inch-x-80-inch-movers-blanket-66537.html)
I will keep you in mind if I have to back out. I'm at Good Sam waiting to be called in for surgery on my arm. Hoping for a quick recovery, don't want to miss Appleseed again.

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
I will be bringing an 8x8 canopy, 2 extra slings and a marlin 795 as a loaner with 4 mags if anyone needs. I will not be there on Sunday so if anyone is going to use my marlin, it may be dirty. I will see about working out some details. Might take it home with me and clean and drop off with someone who is going back on Sunday.

Bring a teachable attitude!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
We're THREE weeks out on our Shoot!

Please review the first post in this thread and double check your equipment.

If you haven't yet printed out/filled out your Liability Waiver please do so. This saves a lot of time Saturday morning.
Here's the link again to that form.....................

https://appleseedinf...elease form.pdf

Now remember this is a Rain or Shine Event. Please keep your eye on the weather and dress accordingly.
Watch the predicted temperature for our weekend too. It's been a little "Chilly" lately so be ready. Honestly the temperature lately is prefect for an Appleseed Shoot so hopefully we'll get a weekend that's not HOT.

I'll keep all updated as we near our Shoot so keep an eye on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing ALL on the Firing Line.

Any questions.....please just jump in.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Please bring junk food of your choice for McFly. Under no circumstances bring fruit or vegetables for him. Salad is like garlic to a vampire as far as McJunkFoodie is concerned.

PS. If anyone needs a rifle to borrow I have a dead stock stainless 10/22 (with sling) and mags. The rifle was sighted in at the Appleseed I attended and not touched since.

·
Banned
3,362 Posts
Please bring junk food of your choice for McFly. Under no circumstances bring fruit or vegetables for him. Salad is like garlic to a vampire as far as McJunkFoodie is concerned.

PS. If anyone needs a rifle to borrow I have a dead stock stainless 10/22 (with sling) and mags. The rifle was sighted in at the Appleseed I attended and not touched since.
I'm lead to believe that while actual fruit is a no go, Fruit by the foot is a favorite of the McFly. Food Cuisine Font Rectangle Ingredient

Attachments

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
OK..................Any Questions?
Ok, here's my issue. Between rounds, the rifles are on the mats, the shooters behind the lines.

Is there any time that one would be able to remove the rifle to do a quick cleaning? My 10/22 ran fine until 200+ rounds but then needed a tidying up of the chamber and extractor area with cleaner and a brush.

I tried to do it during prep time but it was not enough time to do the job right.

It didn't seem that one would be able to just take the rifle and walk it back to the truck. Did I miss something?

·
Banned
3,362 Posts
Cleaning a rifle "on the mat" would be tough because you need to either put some part of yourself in front of the firing line or bring the muzzle back from the line. I would suggest that you ask the shoot boss for the chance to safely case and remove the rifle from the line and take it WITH NO AMMO to the safe area in the pit closest to the office trailer just to the west withe the red bench tops marked "SAFE AREA NO AMMO" and clean it there and return with the rifle cased and when cleared by the boss return it to the line.

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
Ok, here's my issue. Between rounds, the rifles are on the mats, the shooters behind the lines.

Is there any time that one would be able to remove the rifle to do a quick cleaning? My 10/22 ran fine until 200+ rounds but then needed a tidying up of the chamber and extractor area with cleaner and a brush.

I tried to do it during prep time but it was not enough time to do the job right.

It didn't seem that one would be able to just take the rifle and walk it back to the truck. Did I miss something?
your 10/22 malfunctioned after only 200 rounds? That seems odd. Is there something else wrong with it, because that should not happen so quickly.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
your 10/22 malfunctioned after only 200 rounds? That seems odd. Is there something else wrong with it, because that should not happen so quickly.
New rifle, sand all over the mat, dirty ammo. Once the extractor and chamber were freshened ran fine. Also, that is about 300 rounds if you count the 100 or so sighters from the previous day.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.