Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Anyone try to buy a semi auto rifle yet???

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Bowhunter71 
#1 ·
Anyone with a pistol license try to buy a rifle yet???
-LOADED

#8 ·
Bowhunter71,

I agree with your statement that the CCIA basically requires an endorsement that functions as an authorization to buy a semi automatic rifle or a purchase card; and it will not require going to the precinct to add the rifle to your permit prior to taking possession.

Regarding purchasing out of State- it is my understanding that you can only purchase out of State Semi Automatic Rifles that you are otherwise authorized to purchase in your state of residence. In my opinion this means that if you do not have a purchase card from NY you are not authorized to purchase a semi automatic rifle out of State if said rifle is being purchased with the intent of bringing it to NY.

The law states that after September 4, 2022, in order to take ownership of a semi automatic rifle in NY you must first have a NY State Semi Automatic rifle license. (See link below)

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/gunfaq2022.pdf

#13 ·
Bowhunter71,

I agree with your statement that the CCIA basically requires an endorsement that functions as an authorization to buy a semi automatic rifle or a purchase card; and it will not require going to the precinct to add the rifle to your permit prior to taking possession.

Regarding purchasing out of State- it is my understanding that you can only purchase out of State Semi Automatic Rifles that you are otherwise authorized to purchase in your state of residence. In my opinion this means that if you do not have a purchase card from NY you are not authorized to purchase a semi automatic rifle out of State if said rifle is being purchased with the intent of bringing it to NY.

The law states that after September 4, 2022, in order to take ownership of a semi automatic rifle in NY you must first have a NY State Semi Automatic rifle license. (See link below)

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/gunfaq2022.pdf
It was stated by the sponsor of the bill that it is a ny law and only enforceable in NY.
According to the sponsor you can legally by a semi in another state that is legal here and there is nothing that can be done to you. Just like in CT where you need a foid to purchase ammo, but you can cross over into any other state and purchase all you want with out showing your card

#11 ·
Folks:
SCPD has scheduled a meeting, with all Suffolk County-based FFLs, for Thursday, September 15, at 4pm. The purpose of the meeting is for SCPD to explain, as they understand it, what's needed to be changed and what's needed to be added, to dealer's procedures, under the still-valid CCIA. Right now, they don't have everything worked out and are working on getting it to make as much sense as possible.
More will follow, as I get the details.
Gary

#12 ·
I’ve been doing some “detective” work, behind the scenes and with “unofficial” sources. From what I’m hearing, the SCPD, the NCPD and the SC Sheriff’s Department are getting contradictory instructions, about what to say and do, almost daily, about the way the CCIA is going to operate, provided it isn’t stopped, dead, in its tracks, by an injunction.

Right now, much of the working staff (who, for the most part, are pro-2A) are saying that they’re feeling like punching bags, with everyone screaming, from different directions. Many people are correctly seeking answers, to legitimate questions, for which the licensing agencies don’t have consistent answers and others are issuing orders, to the licensing agencies, then changing, a few hours later or the next day.

For the moment, I have only one suggestion: sit back and relax.

There’s nothing any of us can do, unless and until one of two things happen: 1) the court issues an injunction (via NYSRPA v Bruen #2), freezing the enforcement of the CCIA (which is very, very likely) or 2) the CCIA is allowed to continue, as the “law” of the state (very, very unlikely).

If 1), above, happens, then we’re back to an unfettered Bruen decision, as our operating standard, unless the governor/state legislature engage in another hissy fit session. If 2), above, happens, then the arrests will start and the law suits, for intentional violation of Constitutional rights, will start to fly.

I expect we’ll know at least a little more, after the 9/15 dealers’ meeting, at SCPD.
Gary

#14 ·
Just walked out of scpd Yaphank, I tried to amend my license for rifle, officer said there’s no amendment and it’s the same routine for buying a hand gun, so all semi autos will be on the back of a pistol license. So there all going to be registered. I called a few days ago, spoke with a female and was told they are doing amendments. I told him that and he said he knows nothing of it. I don’t know what the hell is going on.
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Car Sky Motor vehicle

#15 ·
Just walked out of scpd Yaphank, I tried to amend my license for rifle, officer said there’s no amendment and it’s the same routine for buying a hand gun, so all semi autos will be on the back of a pistol license. So there all going to be registered. I called a few days ago, spoke with a female and was told they are doing amendments. I told him that and he said he knows nothing of it. I don’t know what the hell is going on.
And neither do they.
Th Suffolk Sherriff IS amending licenses for rifle. A member here posted a picture of his license with "rifle" printed right on the front.
SNAFU in its purest form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.