Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any LIF member still without power from the storm this week?

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Sorry, no power to see your post or charge my phone.

Jk jk......keep getting emails from pseg on how they're so great that 48hrs later 95% of the power is restored. I find it laughable that they're bragging about that. To me it should been fixed in less than a day. This was a small cell or cells in a fairly confined area (not island wide) so wtf is taking them so long.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Sure glad Andy dissolved LIPA.... PSEG seems to be doing a bang up job..... Heavy on the bang!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Why they won't burry the power lines is beyond me. I had my power go down for days a few years ago because a tree took out the line to the pole.

When I asked lipa, and offered to pay, the woman nearly yelled at me.

No matter what it costs it's cheaper than fixing downed lines for all eternity.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I dont think people understand what it would take to go underground for the whole island lol. You think rates are high now?

All new construction is underground.

And yes this storm wasnt as bad as Sandy...on the south shore. The north shore is a mess. I know ive been out here since tuesday.

Personally id rather have overhead, yeah it comes down easier but its way easier and quicker to get back on. A lot of underground services are partially customer owned. So when theres a problem, guess whos usually paying..not lipa.

Also understand its not just a crew comes up and can automatically start putting wires back up all willy nilly. Especially with this since so many trees are down. There are plenty of line crews. Its tree crews that are lacking. Theres just too much. And pseg stepped up their tree trimming work. But youre talking about the north shore..dense, old trees that the homeowners have neglected for years.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Why they won't burry the power lines is beyond me. I had my power go down for days a few years ago because a tree took out the line to the pole.

I had the same thing happen many years ago.
She said "They're doing dangerous work out there"
Me - "They wouldn't have to if you buried the cable in good weather"
She - "Click"

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You guys can pay to have services buried. I see it all the time.
When I called she said only certain towns in the hamptons could bury the lines and they had to go through hoops to get it done.

Perhaps something changed?

The worst about that was I was the only house in the hood without power. When they fix the lines they go after the largest affected first. I was dead last on the list.

·
Registered
935 Posts
No, you can certainly pay to have your service put underground.

As far as priority in an outage, youre correct...and wrong.

Larger overhead linemen crews certainly do go to larger outages first. Thats just common sense. If you can get 500 or 5000 people back on instead of just one. Youre going to do that.

They do have other departments that are trained solely to do single outages. Its just slower work. Youre knocking em down one by one.

Im not saying pseg is perfect, but I think theyre doing ok. This is really their first mess they got since taking over. They brought in a lot of technology and bringing the company into modern times.

Its going to take some time. Theyre out there though and plenty of out of state crews. Drive on 25a from st james to wading river thats all you see.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
No, you can certainly pay to have your service put underground.

As far as priority in an outage, youre correct...and wrong.

Larger overhead linemen crews certainly do go to larger outages first. Thats just common sense. If you can get 500 or 5000 people back on instead of just one. Youre going to do that.

They do have other departments that are trained solely to do single outages. Its just slower work. Youre knocking em down one by one.

Im not saying pseg is perfect, but I think theyre doing ok. This is really their first mess they got since taking over. They brought in a lot of technology and bringing the company into modern times.

Its going to take some time. Theyre out there though and plenty of out of state crews. Drive on 25a from st james to wading river thats all you see.
Since PSEG took over the rates went up. Not to happy about that.

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts
In Deer Park I know areas underground. No one paid for it to my knowledge.

Sent on a S5 using TapaTalk

·
Banned
17,097 Posts

It's pretty simple. First off is the cost. Although you can bury from the pole to your house that really solves very little.

The main cost and people screaming would be to bury all the lines. For example where I live the lines run in the back yard. Can you imagine the uproar from the people when they tear up their yards? Everyone has fences, the cost to replace all that fencing would be greater than the cost of burying the wires. Now imagine a fence that is out of production, they would have to bare the cost of full replacement around the property.

Sure they can say that they will replace with whatever, but do you really want a government takeover of your land?

Second off, a lot of this work will have to be done during the warm weather. Once again people screaming how it messed up a graduation party or the whatnot. It's really a question of they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
What I don't get is how many more people are using led bulbs, have solar power, have more efficient as units, etc.....no way in hell we are using more electric than 10 years ago so why has there been such a drastic increase in costs? I understand inflation, but come on. It seems as though they are keeping their revenue the same or growing while delivering less electric for it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's pretty simple. First off is the cost. Although you can bury from the pole to your house that really solves very little.

The main cost and people screaming would be to bury all the lines. For example where I live the lines run in the back yard. Can you imagine the uproar from the people when they tear up their yards? Everyone has fences, the cost to replace all that fencing would be greater than the cost of burying the wires. Now imagine a fence that is out of production, they would have to bare the cost of full replacement around the property.

Sure they can say that they will replace with whatever, but do you really want a government takeover of your land?

Second off, a lot of this work will have to be done during the warm weather. Once again people screaming how it messed up a graduation party or the whatnot. It's really a question of they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
The same argument can be made for repaving a road. It is a huge inconvenience but better than potholes or an impassable path.

I'm sure if you asked people after Sandy who were without power for a week or more (like me), they wouldn't be so worried about a mess in the yard temporarily.

I don't buy the cost argument. There is an RIO here somewhere in the future. It may not look good on this year's budget, but think of how much money will be saved over the life of the system.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What I don't get is how many more people are using led bulbs, have solar power, have more efficient as units, etc.....no way in hell we are using more electric than 10 years ago so why has there been such a drastic increase in costs? I understand inflation, but come on. It seems as though they are keeping their revenue the same or growing while delivering less electric for it.
I'm sure people have more tech and AC's in their house than 10 years ago. But bottom line is they are lining their pockets with a legalized monopoly. They won't change unless forced

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
The same argument can be made for repaving a road. It is a huge inconvenience but better than potholes or an impassable path.

I'm sure if you asked people after Sandy who were without power for a week or more (like me), they wouldn't be so worried about a mess in the yard temporarily.

I don't buy the cost argument. There is an RIO here somewhere in the future. It may not look good on this year's budget, but think of how much money will be saved over the life of the system.
You underestimate the nosebleed factor of people.

When it comes to a road it also doesn't require work on someones property. Although you might say the curbing and aprons are on your property, it is in a ROW. An MRI also takes into consideration drainage for an area. Much different than people being in your backyard and messing up your fences, deck, patio, garage, shed, etc. Apples and oranges.

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
On the North Shore alot of the wiring from the street to the house is already underground (built after 1988). My generator ran for 16 hours on NG because the old trees around the corner came down over the elevated electrical lines. Cable was down also but was restored quickly by their guys running generators to feed their repeaters while parked on the road and sitting in their trucks all night.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts

$$$ to re-wire major infrastructure. Like 100s of millions for true widespread conversion. Much easier financially dealing with above ground outages due to downed lines.

I live in neighborhood with 100,000s of trees (N. Shore by the Nissequgue River). I have a 1000 large trees on my own property (I have two power poles on my own land to bring the lines to the house). We only had outages due to tress 2x in several years, Sandy and this micro cell, Both were fixed very quickly.

And there are pitfalls to underground lines. During Sandy a lot of salt water flooding fried underground lines. I lived in a condo complex years ago with underground power lines and during one N'oreaster we lost power for days due to subterranean flooding while the neighborhood one block over with traditional lines was fine.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
$$$ to re-wire major infrastructure. Like 100s of millions for true widespread conversion. Much easier financially dealing with above ground outages due to downed lines.

I live in neighborhood with 100,000s of trees (N. Shore by the Nissequgue River). I have a 1000 large trees on my own property. We only had outages due to tress 2x in several years, Sandy and this micro cell, Both were fixed very quickly.

And there are pitfalls to underground lines. During Sandy a lot of salt water flooding fried underground lines. I lived in a condo complex years ago with underground power lines and during one N'oreaster we lost power for days due to subterranean flooding while the neighborhood one block over with traditional lines was fine.
long island taxes should about cover it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.