Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
That 10 minute cell was worse than Sandy.

I was out at 5:30 am with a chainsaw trying to clear the road to get my wife to her train. After a few tree blockades cleared we hit a downed powerline and had to turn around. At least we have power now but both outlets of the road I live on are barricaded by several large trees and powerlines.

Oh, and a nice big tree (70 ft+) crushed my shed in the backyard. Oh, well plenty of more firewood for next season. Blessed that nothing real was damaged and no one got hurt. That was an intense short cell (worse than sandy was out here by the Nissy).

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Meadow road by the bull was like a war zone. Downed burning power lines and branches. Lots of hail and spectacular lightning. Awesome!
Yeah, we're North of the bull/town by the Nissy. This downed more trees and powerlines in a few minutes around here than Sandy did. Crazy. All I hear is chainsaws going in my neighborhood.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm calling Bravo Sierra on this. Sounds like Destro found the key to the liquor cabinet and was running around town singing and pushing trees around!
One flaw comrade, this happened at 5am and I'd be passed out by then. Otherwise a solid theory, I must admit.

If it gusted in the other direction this would have landed directly on my house. Snapped the tree in half.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
My neighborhood had a few down trees in the road. I was able to drive around them.
Didn't see any major damage on my drive to the train station.
Port Jeff LIRR branch got hit hard suspending service due to down trees and wires on tracks.
It sounded really nasty out though. Constant lightning too.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
im convinced we got a tornado, theres like a 3 block radius in my neighborhood with big (healthy) trees down. Once you get out of that zone it looks like a regular storm (just leaves and tiny branches)
So am I.

I was up at 4:30 watching the news, ok, they said a storm cell was moving through. So when it started raining I went out to check on the gutters and close the patio umbrellas, but it suddenly gusted so hard the large umbrella went flying 30 feet across my yard. All the 6" gutter overflowed and the trees started coming down. It was minutes of super intense concentrated wind and sideways rain.

the worse storm per 10 minutes we've had here in several years (including multiple hurricanes)

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
lost power in Commack from 4:30 till 8:30. pretty loud, but I'm a heavy sleeper & didn't notice any thunder until my alarm went off.

Reactions: CommackBoy

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Pffff

"North Shore Problems"

JK. Glad everyone is ok.
Not everyone on the N. Shore lives in a fancy pants neighborhood. Well, I technically do live in a fancy pants neighborhood but I'm here for the natural setting.

But yeah, trees. We don't flood but we get tree problems. I hope the yuppies down the block appreciate me clearing the road for them with my chainsaw at 5:30 am. Most of them probably drove their white benzes right into the powerline though. Can't help with that.

Road crews should be here soon. Smithtown LIRR running again towards huntington, port jeff to stonybrook still down.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.