Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start this off by saying I have a Ruger 10/22 with the composite stock, and I recently mounted a scope on it. Now with the scope on it I have to hold my head up a little more and there is a slight level of discomfort. I haven't found any cheek rests that that I can just install on my rifle, and Buying a new stock it a little out of my price range. I was thinking I could low buck it get some tool mesh to make a form, and then bondo the heck out of it. I was wondering if anyone  else here has done anything like this? Or knows where I can find a cheek rest that is a Strap/Bolt on appliance.

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't even think of that although why ruin a camp pad when I can use PVC pipe insulation

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will look into lower profile rings, and then ghetto rig it if I can't. Slthough the bondo idea would make a cool DIY wright up

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm Some closed cell foam and leather. I could probably make a cool cheekrest with a couple of pouches on it for Ruger 10 round mags, or loops to hold ammo

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
Some guys like cheek rests- I hate them. They can shift, and knock off your all important cheek weld.

Correctly 'setting' your cheek weld consistently will usually eliminate the need for one.

get your position for natural point of aim- then bring your jawbone SIDEWAYS tight to the stock, THEN bear down to your cheek bone to get your cheek weld.

IMX, this will eliminate the need for a add-on cheek rest in most applications.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Last time I had to execute a similar application I used pink building foam and shaped it with a Dremel and sanding wheel and painted it with plastic dip . it turned out to be easier than my original plan to make a mold and cast in low durometer urethane. This was a forehead rest for an inspection machine called an optical comparator, but same idea.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
instead of camp mat, grab a bunch of mouse pads... about 1/4" thick, glue on a few layers with rubber cement, use a sanding drum to shape.

The bondo has definitely been done and will work fine (and the firm surface is better for consistency in head placement) Just gotta paint the stock when you're done.

Go for it!

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Parashooter said:
instead of camp mat, grab a bunch of mouse pads... about 1/4" thick, glue on a few layers with rubber cement, use a sanding drum to shape.

The bondo has definitely been done and will work fine (and the firm surface is better for consistency in head placement) Just gotta paint the stock when you're done.

Go for it!
Yeah orriginally I was thinking about taking some tool mesh shapping that to where I want it to be, and then fill with bondo. Even buying 1 qt of bondo is less expensive than a lot of the check pads for sale.

·
I'm begging to be banned!
1,135 Posts
boke said:
I will look into lower profile rings, and then ghetto rig it if I can't. Slthough the bondo idea would make a cool DIY wright up
Look into Talley Manufacturing's Lightweight One Piece ring/base combo. Very nice product and MADE IN THE USA :)

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Captain Will said:
What's "tool mesh" - or do you mean tulle (the stuff ballet skirts are made of)?
Think chicken wire, but a little heavier duty and smaller squares.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts