Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a frozen breech plug removed from an old musket as well as some work on an old cap and ball revolver.  Does anyone know someone in the area who does that kind of work?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cas said:
You have an an old muzzle loader with a removable breach plug? You sure it's supposed to be removable?
It's a model 1842 Springfield, yes I'm positive the breach plug is threaded. The 1842, 1861 and 1863 Springfields I know for sure have removable breech plugs. They were put on pretty tight from the factory and weren't designed to be removable by troops in the field. That combined with being screwed in for 140 years means it's in there good. However some previous owner loosened it slightly and now the barrel won't drop into the stock. Their is also something in the barrel so I take it they were trying to remove the plug to clear the barrel. So I need someone to remove the plug, clear the barrel and replace it with a reproduction breach plug if the old one is un-usable.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Try Cliff 631-665-8836  he has never disappointed me yet

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check out Track of the Wolf.

They have all the tools you will need should you choose to do it yourself.

Have built several long rifles from their parts. And they sell amazing wood.

Last was a Vincent Ohio rifle in .32 cal with curly maple and all silver trim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.