Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
539 Posts
Like 10 years back I used to hunt with a group of Falconers here on the Island while I studied for apprenticeship. I wonder if any of those folks are on this site. Any hear hunt with a falcon or hawk?

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts
No, but was always interested.

·
Sharp Shooter!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never became a falconer because you have to build a mew to house the bird. At the time I was living with my parents and already had a team of racing pigeons , there was no way they would let me build another big enclosure for a hawk. Now I don't have the time to dedicate to a hawk but would love to help out on some hunts like I used too. I have seen the peregrine falcon, redtail, goshawk, coopers, and Harris hawks hunt, they all have different styles but all are awesome hunters.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
My father was a falconer in RI. It really is almost a lost art. He apprenticed with a guy from Cape Cod and eventually caught his redtail hawk himself. About a month before my father passed he let his hawk go.

Here are two galleries of photos I took of his hawk as well as a video we made so he could show some friends what falconry was about.
The first gallery was shortly after he captured the hawk.
http://gallery.benjaminmorsephotography.com/Animals/Freedom/6044835_LR5WdX

The second including the video was from a day I went out hunting with him.
http://gallery.benjaminmorsephotography.com/Animals/Freedom-November-23-2008/6639745_9GL97q

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
They allow hunting with falcons in the Edgewood Preserve in Deer Park. I actually had a hawk land in a tree about 10 feet over my head yesterday on an early AM run over there... awesome sight to see.

·
Sharp Shooter!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a pair of peregrine falcons on the Federal building in Central Islip, I have seen them take pigeons and doves. Not sure if they migrated yet.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
There is a pair of peregrine falcons on the Federal building in Central Islip, I have seen them take pigeons and doves. Not sure if they migrated yet.
We have some kind of bird of prey that was taking pigeons and doves in my yard in the spring. over the course of a week we had 5 dead birds in the yard. Once I saw happen, I was sitting eating breakfast looking out the window and all of the sudden it was snowing only it was not snow but feathers. I run outside and the BOP was in the trees in my yard, there were too many leaves to see what type it was and I freaked it and it dropped the pigeon. There was no head and it was completely gutted in a matter of seconds.

We stopped putting bird food out and the BOP disappeared.

And this Multiquote feature is awesome!

·
Sharp Shooter!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was most likely a Coopers or Sharp Shinned Hawk, they eat mostly birds. They both have short wings and long tails designed for manueverabillity through trees and bushes.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
We have some kind of bird of prey that was taking pigeons and doves in my yard in the spring. over the course of a week we had 5 dead birds in the yard. Once I saw happen, I was sitting eating breakfast looking out the window and all of the sudden it was snowing only it was not snow but feathers. I run outside and the BOP was in the trees in my yard, there were too many leaves to see what type it was and I freaked it and it dropped the pigeon. There was no head and it was completely gutted in a matter of seconds.
The same thing used to happen to the doves in my parents yard years ago. Amazing how fast it all happens.

Great pics by the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts