Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bren trying for weeks to adopt a Shih Tzu (young and healthy) but the ones I am I terested in adopting are gone before the rescue / shelter gets back to me or as soon as they are posted.

It's a little frustrating to fill out the application only to find out they have been adopted already - if I hear back at all. I understand that many of the people are volunteers and have other priorities.

Seems that the dog I want is popular. I hate the thought of going to a breeder as there are so many dogs who need a home.

Keep pressing or go the breeder route?

Did you have any luck adopting a specific breed?

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
I have a pure breed Bide a Wee....She is tall, weighs 35lbs looks just like a chupracobra....Asked the vet what mix was bread to come up with such a unique dog, she said like her mamas sauce, a little of this and a little of that....They have a bunch of dogs that need a good home.. There is also ARF in EastHampton, If you go and look around, you will find so ething you will like,

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
A few years back we were looking for an English Cocker Spaniel, not a very common dog. Went to the American Kennel Club website and then to the English cocker national group via the AKC web site. The breed association has rescue coordinators around the country. I got in touch with the rescue coordinator (in Tenn.) and she arranged for us to check out two dogs (who were coming to a show on LI). Snow got in the way and neither worked out....but she had a "spare" she was willing to sell. She would have kept working with us to find a rescue, but we decided to get hers...we did, he was shipped to JFK and he's the best dog you could possibly imagine. If I were trying to adopt again, I'd go to the AKC and try that route.

Here's the web page from the national Shih Tzu association.....try contacting these folks if you haven't already.

http://www.americanshihtzuclub.org/rescue_committee

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
We bought a 10 wk old male Bulldog years ago from a registered breeder on the south shore. The warning signs were all over but we turned a blind eye and paid our money. The only other dog on the premises was a female that the breeder insisted was not the mother. This dog had a bad attitude, especially for this breed and was kept crated.The pup was not only not socialized, he refused sit on any of our laps and was very aggressive. Next stop was the vet. He told us to take the pup back and get a refund. The dog had scars from past skin (staph) infections and had active ones as well. And it was contagious. The breeder put up a stink but refunded our money. I know dogs and have friends that owned this breed. No matter were you get your dog, trust your eyes and gut…. not your emotions.

It's easier to adopt a small mutt. Fewer health issues.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few years back we were looking for an English Cocker Spaniel, not a very common dog. Went to the American Kennel Club website and then to the English cocker national group via the AKC web site. The breed association has rescue coordinators around the country. I got in touch with the rescue coordinator (in Tenn.) and she arranged for us to check out two dogs (who were coming to a show on LI). Snow got in the way and neither worked out....but she had a "spare" she was willing to sell. She would have kept working with us to find a rescue, but we decided to get hers...we did, he was shipped to JFK and he's the best dog you could possibly imagine. If I were trying to adopt again, I'd go to the AKC and try that route.

Here's the web page from the national Shih Tzu association.....try contacting these folks if you haven't already.

http://www.americanshihtzuclub.org/rescue_committee
Thanks - I'll check them out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
We bought a 10 wk old male Bulldog years ago from a registered breeder on the south shore. The warning signs were all over but we turned a blind eye and paid our money. The only other dog on the premises was a female that the breeder insisted was not the mother. This dog had a bad attitude, especially for this breed and was kept crated.The pup was not only not socialized, he refused sit on any of our laps and was very aggressive. Next stop was the vet. He told us to take the pup back and get a refund. The dog had scars from past skin (staph) infections and had active ones as well. And it was contagious. The breeder put up a stink but refunded our money. I know dogs and have friends that owned this breed. No matter were you get your dog, trust your eyes and gut…. not your emotions.

My desire for a purebred (or close) is to get a dog with known traits. I agree there is less of a chance of health issues with a more diverse gene pool.

When l was a kid we got a mutt and it was insane

Edit - my sister got screwed by an out of state breeder and I know someone else who got a dog with health problems.

I feel a shelter / rescue will be more honest.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have a pure breed Bide a Wee....She is tall, weighs 35lbs looks just like a chupracobra....Asked the vet what mix was bread to come up with such a unique dog, she said like her mamas sauce, a little of this and a little of that....They have a bunch of dogs that need a good home.. There is also ARF in EastHampton, If you go and look around, you will find so ething you will like,
Agreed re this.

@spta97, my wife volunteers at an animal shelter. She bends over backwards to help families that are flexible and want to offer a new home for animals in need. People looking for a specific breed tend to get overlooked and drift down to the bottom of her priority list. I'm not suggesting this would apply in your case, at your local shelter, but - well, you get the idea.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife and I have adopted 2 boxers over the past 7 years. We were specifically looking for boxers. We worked with a boxer specific rescue that is in the NE and they were more than helpful and accommodating for us. Maybe I misread you, but why do you have to keep on submitting an application each time a new dog comes up with the same rescue? We submitted an application with the rescue and then we were in the system. All in all, I'd say from application to adoption it was maybe a month and a half. This included an interview and home visit as well.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
I researched my dog because we had some family issues with allergies, and I needed a gun dog with certain field characteristics.
My search led me to a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.
I was on a wait list for 2 years to get a pup from a pro breeder, from a line of dogs that have a proven health history and mental stability. For my wait I got a 1st rate, prize winning gundog with perfect hips and no behavioral problems.

Its a TOTAL myth about mutts being healthier. Pure bred dogs that for generations have only been bred to other healthy dogs are able to eliminate troublesome genetic problems from a line. (Backyard breeders though, even when they give you AKC papers, rarely screen for health). If you don't have proof of a health history going back 3-4 generations, you are in the risk pool, purebred or mutt.

Reactions: NorthForkSportsman

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
My desire for a purebred (or close) is to get a dog with known traits. I agree there is less of a chance of health issues with a more diverse gene pool.

When l was a kid we got a mutt and it was insane

Edit - my sister got screwed by an out of state breeder and I know someone else who got a dog with health problems.

I feel a shelter / rescue will be more honest.
The predictability is why we went with a gentle ( or even lazy) breed. The breeder was an inept and a liar. Lots of great Bulldogs out there but we got spooked by this and gave up.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
If you are looking for a specific breed you should be going to a reputable AKC breeder. I have 3 days.. A champion Belgian malinoise, a Dutch Shepard and a rescue lab / Great Dane mix.. If you know what you want and are very specific about it a breeder is the only way you can be sure you are getting what you want.. No shelter can truefully tell someone that a dog is a pure breed because they have no idea, and the pet dna test thing is not accurate.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts

You bought a bull dog, the most genetically retarded dog breed in existence.. You know they can't even reproduce on their own right?

Not to sound like an ***, but what did you expect?

OP have you checked out sweetest dog rescue? Or last chance animal rescue? My grandmother adopted a 96 pound German shepherd/ ridge back/pit bull/ God knows what else mix from them and she couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I tell you what, don't get a Yorkie what ever you do. Yes , I happen to have one and some how it got spoiled big time. Not only do you have to give them new toys every week but a evening treat is very common. I can't even lay on the couch and watch TV anymore without that damn little dog climbing onto my chest and giving me a bizallion kisses.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
You bought a bull dog, the most genetically retarded dog breed in existence.. You know they can't even reproduce on their own right?

Not to sound like an ***, but what did you expect?

OP have you checked out sweetest dog rescue? Or last chance animal rescue? My grandmother adopted a 96 pound German shepherd/ ridge back/pit bull/ God knows what else mix from them and she couldn't be happier.
I did thorough research.
What I expected was a lazy drooling lovable bag of farts. Not a walking petri dish. We had a young toddler at the time and I liked the personality and "energy level" of the Bulldog.
I was well aware of the cesarean birth situation. The Bulldogs I knew were good natured healthy animals (within the breed expectations).
Before I bought, I attended a number AKC sanctioned shows on LI. The ones where you could get up close to the dogs and talk to the breeders and owners. And I had a friend at the time who owned two. One lived to 15, the other 12.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I did thorough research.
What I expected was a lazy drooling lovable bag of farts. Not a walking petri dish. We had a young toddler at the time and I liked the personality and "energy level" of the Bulldog.
I was well aware of the cesarean birth situation. The Bulldogs I knew were good natured healthy animals (within the breed expectations).
Before I bought, I attended a number AKC sanctioned shows on LI. The ones where you could get up close to the dogs and talk to the breeders and owners. And I had a friend at the time who owned two. One lived to 15, the other 12.
Happy that you found a reputable breeder that refunded you, bull dogs are not known for being good with kids.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My family adopted Molly when she was 3 months old, she's now 8 years old and to date we've had no health issues with her - major or minor. We were told she was a lab/spaniel mix, but turns out she's a popular southern breed known as the fiest, or mountain fiest dog. They're bred in the south for treeing squirrels and as hunting dogs. If you like labs, they look like miniature Labradors, weigh half as much (Molly is 30 something lbs), and their droppings are nothing compared to a bigger dog in terms of outdoor cleanup.

They are very defensive of their property, family, etc. on 2 occasions I had the dog in the truck, had a relative reach their hand inside, and the dog growled and started barking at them. If anyone comes near my yard, she starts barking, or growling, this is mainly because she hasn't had much social interaction in 9 years. (My fault)

As a breed, she's very intelligent, a family friend adopted Molly's sister, and their dog behaves equally well. I can put food in her bowl, and she waits to eat it until I tell her to.

The shelter we adopted her from was Loyal Hearts Animal Rescue, they rescue dogs from puppy mills in the south that would otherwise terminate the animals. All I remember is my dad had to drive to meet with the organization who delivers the puppies - Molly wand her sister were delivered via box truck. All in all, good experience with this dog, I will definitely be adopting another fiest dog.

Dog Wood Carnivore Fawn Flooring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
There are a couple of web sites where you check off the traits you want and Presto! out comes a number of breed recommendations. I used these researching my quest for a spaniel....and the recommendation was either an English Cocker or Welsh Spaniel. Neither breed is a completely nutso and hyper as a Springer, nor as large as a Brittany. They are as energetic as you are (will run and hunt with the best of them or just laze around the house), great with kids, and are handsome dogs. Because they've not been overbred like American cockers, they're pretty smart as well...perhaps not up to Border Collie IQ
s, but pretty darn clever.

Here's the test from Animal Planet...there are others:

http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

(I just took it again and an English Cocker was the number 2 choice...the Brittany was #1.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.