Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying the Sig 516 FDE swat. Anyone own one or can give some insight on this rifle. I have a Bushmaster m4 with an Eotech optic. Not as much experience with AR's as I have with pistols. Let me know if it would be a good purchase.

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
Sorry, but I can't like the new Sig rifles. The last one that I liked was a Sig556 piston version. Today it seems that they are more of a marketing company (only with their newer rifles and fancy versions of their handguns) and much less of an innovative manufacture.
Look at the S&W AR or the Bushmasters that are below $800.00 and what difference do you see? For about $100.00 you can get a Samson EVO rail handguard for most ARs and still be under $1000.00. Years ago Sig had a promotion of giving a free red dot sight with the purchase of a rifle and claimed it was worth $250.00. The same sight (Chinese) was available for $60.00 on Amazon.
Their pistols, although extremely reliable and well made are way overpriced compared to the competition.
Just my thoughts and others opinions may vary.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig556-patrol-rifle.aspx

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I own many 'mid-level' name-brand AR's. I took a Sig AR armorers course a couple of years ago and was VERY impressed with the Sig AR's.
Here's my post from 30 March 2014: (EDIT: sorry pics are so big, I cut & pasted from the old thread where they weren't quite so large)

I'm a Sig fan, but don't own a Sig AR. Here's some interesting features you don't see on many other AR's.

- Built-in Quick Detachable sling swivel mounts on both sides of the frame
- Built-in pin to keep pressure on the rear lug of the upper - like an 'accu-wedge'
- Heavy magazine well rail
- Ridges in front of the magwell
- Ambidextious mag release
- A pin INSIDE the barrel extension to keep pressure on the extractor
- Rubber 'o' ring gasket around your extractor spring for extra protection against a extr. spring breakage

SO, if you have property out of this state or will eventually move, these may be worth a look.
Attached Thumbnails

Reactions: C6NY

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Would it be a good purchase? Since you ask, I don't think so.
Gas piston AR's are usually heavier, more moving parts and more expensive and don't offer much benefit for civilian use.
Gas piston AR's come into their own when fired full auto, barrels less than 16" and when used with a suppressor. None of these are relevant for us regular folks. But if you have your heart set on one buy it, Sigs are first class firearms.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I have a Sig M400 Enhanced AR. Unfortunately, it has the FRS stock. It's spot on accurate, and built solid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.