Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Anyone familiar with '90s Chevy Cavaliers/J-Bodys?

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  DanHS 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My sister has this '97 Cavalier with about 150k. Standard 2.2L single cam engine, automatic trans. Thing was running just fine, only problem was a horrible rattling sound it made when starting. One day she went to drive it and it had no power, couldn't get over 20mph. After she brought it home I started it and it started and idled fine, but I didn't drive it. Next time I went to start it, it did not start. It would backfire and had low compression, and after some research I believed the timing chain had slipped due to a failed tensioner. After taking the timing cover off, I saw that I was correct, the tensioner was in pieces and the timing marks did not line up at TDC. Seems the rattling sound was the chain smacking against what remained of the tensioner.

I bought all quality parts to replace the tensioner, chain, and sprockets, and made sure the timing was set correctly at TDC. I also put in new plugs and wires, replacing the wires one at a time. The car refuses to start now.

A test of the compression showed that the valves were not crunched, as all cylinders could produce 140psi.

I replaced the fuel filter, added drygas, and put in 5 gallons of fresh fuel, just to be sure it wasn't water in the gas.

I did the passlock reset procedure just to be sure, but I do not think that is the problem, because it has spark and fuel when cranking.

What it will do now, is I can come home from work, hop in the car and turn the key, and it will start and run for a second or two before dying. Then after that it will not start, it will crank with spark and plenty of fuel, but not fire up and run. There is no backfiring, sometimes it will fire a cylinder here or there, but not enough to start up. I am completely baffled, unless the car is somehow flooding the cylinders with so much gas that the plugs (the recommended plain platinum plugs gapped at .60) cannot light it, I cannot imagine how it fails to start.

I'm about ready to either put the thing on Craigslist for $500, or set it on fire. What could possibly have decided to fail at the exact same time as the chain slipping, that would let the car have spark and fuel but not start?

See less See more
#6 ·
I believe it wouldn't have any spark if that was the case, if the computer didn't know where the pistons were it wouldn't fire the plugs. All four plugs fire well, they just don't seem to be lighting the fuel in the cylinders. Now I'm wondering if there's some fuel pressure issue. The engine is putting fuel into the cylinders, I know that, but maybe not the right amount.

#7 ·
You will get spark if the crank or cam sensor is bad, just not when it's supposed to.

just a thought...if the oil pressure switch isn't connected then it will shut the fuel pump off i.e. runs for a sec then stalls. also, the knock sensor will retard the timing to the point it won't start. Finally, if the AIS motor (idle control) is bad you'll get a no start/start-stall. try starting fluid

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
First, go over everything you touched, twice. Make sure all sensors are plugged in and snug. I usually just unplug and reseat everything.

Pay specific attention to the MAF and the throttle body. If the MAF is sending screwy signals, it should start, but would run like hell. If the throttle body ( idle air control valve) is screwy, again, it should start, but the idle would be all over the place.

If all that stuff checks out, which it sounds like it will, then I'm going with this.

It sounds like the timing is really out of whack. I read your post, but is it possible that you set the timing marks (dot to dot I assume) when cyl 1 was not at tdc? One full rotation of the cam, without thesame for the crank is basically the same as setting the timing to cyl 3, or whatever cyl is 3rd in the firing order. This will also manifest like a bad crank sensor, providing spark when it seemingly doesn't need it.

If you have spark and fuel you should have a running engine. I would pull all the plugs, and attept to start, visually verifying strong spark, and reinstall. Then Id have someone crank car while I smell the exhaust, if it reeks of fuel, I'll bet this is the problem.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I checked the timing, it's spot on, plug 1 fires right when cyl 1 is at TDC. I had wondered if the chain slipped. It's impossible to set the timing wrong on this thing because there is no timing adjustment, the sprockets are keyed so they can only go on in one place. I disconnected the fuel line and it will pump plenty of fuel when cranking, and the plugs come out completely wet after cranking. The new platinum plugs make a nice bluish-white spark, it has to be enough to light the fuel mixture. I did have some trouble with my timing light though, didn't seem to get quite a strong enough induction from the plug wire and it only flashed sporadically. I'm not sure why that is because it worked fine on my car, and the spark I'm getting on the Cavalier is good.

Here's a video of it starting and then dying. After that it just cranks like it has no spark, except it does.

#10 ·
Have you double-checked that the VALVE timing isn't 180 degrees out??? Being that you just messed with the valve train, that's where I'd start... Valve cover off, take plug 1 out, turn the thing to TDC, look to be sure both valves are closed AND that the ignition (its crank-triggered or distributor?) is also in position to fire that cylinder... I've seen it a few times.

#14 ·
Okay, that sounded okay for the first second that it turned over, but then sounded weird before it died. Is that normal and I'm hearing it funnythrough the video? I know this s going to sound like a stretch, but that sounds to me like a computer issue. Let me explain.

When I got the computer tuned for my truck, I had this issue. I installed the computer, followed the process for the security relearn, btw, I have an 03 Silverado. The truck would start and just die. Over and over. Start then die. You said it'll turn over once, die, then not turn over at all until the next day right? This sounds like you are inadvertly giving the ECM time to reset itself. Try this. Get it to fire and die, then pull the negative cable for 10 or 15 min. This force resets the ECM. If it fires and dies after reconnecting the battery, I think you have found the issue. Bad ECM. I happens. I got a bad ECM from a tuner. When he checked it out after I sent I back to him, it checked fine. It just wouldn't start a truck. It may also be a bad / loose / not connected ground strap that's integral for the ECM. Ere are several ground straps, it's easy to forget one. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
Sounds like a back pressure problem - either the cat broke apart and clogged the exhaust or someone might have stuffed the tailpipe
If it eats its gotto poop!

#16 ·
Yo just heard the video something is touching that should not be, sounded like valve to piston but if compression is good valve timing should be ok can you have someone else start while your under hood?? Put screw driver to valve cover where it touches head put ear on handle start engine, listen at both ends of engine to locate where sound is loudest??? Did you take compression with all plugs out and throttle body full open???

#17 ·
Got the car started finally. I didn't do anything, just felt like giving it a go when I got home today, and it fired right up. Ran like crap and blew oilsmoke for a few minutes, idled a bit rough, but it otherwise ran just like it used to, except without the sound of the timing chain chewing on the busted tensioner. Seems to be smoothing out after starting and driving, turning off and restarting, I think it's just the computer since it was unplugged and reset. I'm pretty sure the culprit was just bad gas and water in the gas, the gas was yellowish, almost green, when I tested the fuel pump, and smelled terrible, and that was after pouring in a bottle of Heet and 5 gallons of fresh gas, I think it just took a while for the Heet to get all the water out of the system. Stupid ethanol, I really wish they would not put that crap in our gas, there is no environmental benefit because it reduces fuel economy and damages fuel systems. More government poop wasting our taxes. Anyways, car seems ok, will fill it up with fresh gas and see how it does, will report back if it craps out again. Thanks for the help everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.