Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Anyone bass fishing the surf ?

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  C6NY 
#1 ·
How you all doing this season?  No luck here , I am going to go throw a bucktail at Gilgo this evening and see if I get lucky

#2 ·
Getting close to the autumn moon and the waters started to cool off. Big bass should be biting good from here on out. Try swimming an eel out there as well as buck tails. Good luck and give us a report. We'll be out at Montauk boat bassin this weekend for the full moon.

#3 ·
I'll be drifting eels a night or two during this week and going forward. I haven't been out yet, but I my local bait store has been selling out of eels lately so they must be starting to bite.

#5 ·
Had a friend drift the Shinnecock inlet yesterday. Caught three on the outgoing. Kept 2. Two guys on the boat.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are you fishing when the current is Running? Outgoing is usually best in the fall when the bait is getting washed out or migrating out to deep water. Are you looking where you want to fish in the daytime to find out how the water is moving on the tides? Bass love to set up on rips and wait for bait to tumble right to them. Big bass are often lazy and wait for dinner to come right to them. Are you mixing your lures up? Match the hatch, try to use lures that resemble what's in the water at the time they're feeding. Bunker like lures are good this time of season as are eels though most anything can work in the fall. This is all elementary stuff but I don't know how versed you are at the sport. If you know all this already, disregard and come up with a bunch of good excuses why you came home empty handed. PM me if you need some, I've used them all and can write a book on excuses alone.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
White buck tail with trailer, bunker 6 inch shad, bunker top water popper, pearl 6 inch shad. Those were what I was throwing last night for about two and a half hours on the outgoing. I usually always fish the outgoing

I always hit the 4x4 beaches. Sore thumb, gilgo. Been fishing both for a while, never really seen much structure there. But I don't know where else to try

#14 ·
I would suggest using dark colored buck tails and other darker lures at night and save the white for daytime. Bright colored stuff at night often spooks fish. I would also try different heights of the water column. Slow retrieve near bottom, quicker to get the lure mid column and fast for surface. They could be eating anywhere. Did you notice any phosphorescence in the water? It's common in late summer and sometimes into fall. The green glow lighting up lure and line will usually shut down the bite.
Just look in the water and see where you get white water piling up. It's hard to see on dark nights so that why you should do a day trip to see where the sand bars are. The white water churning is what you're looking for. You could be 50' from a rip and catch nothing or fishing it and getting whacked pretty good.

#15 ·
Thank you for the tips. I will just have to keep going at it. I have caught many bass off a boat. There is just something about pulling a bass out of the surf that keeps me coming back.

Sometimes I feel I am not getting the lure out far enough but then I hear a lot of guys saying they catch most right in the white water

#23 ·
Fish heavier lures and baits under the choppers. Bass usually are under them feeding off the pieces dropped by the blues. Fish em slow.
I caught a 31lber and fish in the upper teens low twenties in montauk this weekend on eels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.