Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Been there, but prices go higher than we are willing to pay. Also parking is a pita.

·
win support for firearms - train a new shooter
1,671 Posts
It seems they list their autos as either "Security Agreement Sale" or "BANK REPOSSESSED" is there a difference ? If they're lax on payments , they may be lax on maintenance ?

either case I'd prefer "off lease"

recently when I've followed the free carfax details of cars on dealers lots many pass thru a NJ or PA auction. For example one 2012 Audi left a Glen Cove Audi dealer to PA to the Westbury dealer FYI

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
From what I've read most junkers flow through the dealer only auctions. That's where new car dealers dump unwanted trade ins on used car dealers.
This one is listed as a "security agreement sale" which to me is either repo'd bank loan or a seizure.
There are a number in this sale that have "Seizure - child support delinquency" stickers.
I'm thinking seized/repo'd vehicles are more likely to have been daily drivers.
This is supported by many current nys inspections on them.

As a rule of thumb, I am limiting myself to roughly half of the lower end KBB value for the base level of that vehicle.
That way I hope to limit my exposure to the unknown.
I have a feeling most will go for above that, but I am planning to not fall in love with anything!!!!

·
Sipping tea and saying it's none of my busines
1,249 Posts
If you own a machine shop with a garage with a lift and you know how to weld, auctions are awesome places to find projects or cars that you can flip for cash. If you need to get to work reliably and you have no other transportation and you are trying to cut a few thousand off the price of a nice car because you NEED to, auctions are horrible places to find a car.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am looking at this from 2 perspectives.
First, if I can upgrade the home fleet for a couple thou, that's cool.
Also, I'll be looking for anything that may sell below KBB that doesn't need anything obvious, I'll flip it.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
A lot of junk. Bidders are not too savvy, bidding up numbers. No dealers buy at KBB, those that are savvy buy at Galves. If you buy at KBB you are paying too much. Zero history on these cars. Bring a magnet and check for paint and bodywork.

Bring a trailer to get your vehicle back home. Or you need to pay for a towing service on top of your expense of the vehicle. You will not be able to drive out unless you have dealer or transporter tags

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Car auctions open to the public attract many new inexperienced bidders driving the prices high. The best auction was in Mannheim Pennsylvania, car dealers go there to buy. I went with my cousin and a friend who was a dealer. He bought a nice customized GMC 2500 Suburban.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
From what I've read most junkers flow through the dealer only auctions. That's where new car dealers dump unwanted trade ins on used car dealers.
This one is listed as a "security agreement sale" which to me is either repo'd bank loan or a seizure.
There are a number in this sale that have "Seizure - child support delinquency" stickers.
I'm thinking seized/repo'd vehicles are more likely to have been daily drivers.
This is supported by many current nys inspections on them.

As a rule of thumb, I am limiting myself to roughly half of the lower end KBB value for the base level of that vehicle.
That way I hope to limit my exposure to the unknown.
I have a feeling most will go for above that, but I am planning to not fall in love with anything!!!!
I went today - I had my day cancelled last minute, and both the wife and stepson need cars...

It was funny, several seized for FAILURE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT. (bastards deserved to lose their cars) many repos.

The odd thing was the way pricing was going - there were several of the same models going through, one sells for 1200, the next 6000 - no logic to it. a few went for lower prices.. Even a couple I bid on that I wish I had gone the extra 200 on.
I set a price in my head and won't pass it - spent lots of time at auctions, watched lots of "I'm gonna WIN! idiots spend WAYYY too much money on things.

One thing is to not be desperate to buy something, or have the need to "win" (if you pay $5k for a $2k car because you had to beat the other guy, you're a loser) - if you're either of those, don't waste your time on auctions!

I stopped doing the auctions years ago when a lot of non-professionals started showing up and driving up prices.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Last car I bought at auction was with a used car dealer friend. In 2002 I bought a 2001 Saturn L200 with 21K miles on the clock, and a light nose hit (needed a hood and two headlights) altogether it cost me $7K. I beat that car for 10 years and another 140K miles. Sold it for $2K in 2012.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went today - I had my day cancelled last minute, and both the wife and stepson need cars...

It was funny, several seized for FAILURE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT. (bastards deserved to lose their cars) many repos.

The odd thing was the way pricing was going - there were several of the same models going through, one sells for 1200, the next 6000 - no logic to it. a few went for lower prices.. Even a couple I bid on that I wish I had gone the extra 200 on.
I set a price in my head and won't pass it - spent lots of time at auctions, watched lots of "I'm gonna WIN! idiots spend WAYYY too much money on things.

One thing is to not be desperate to buy something, or have the need to "win" (if you pay $5k for a $2k car because you had to beat the other guy, you're a loser) - if you're either of those, don't waste your time on auctions!

I stopped doing the auctions years ago when a lot of non-professionals started showing up and driving up prices.
Gee, I didn't notice any LIF apparel in the crowd. LOL

Most of them started above my limit, so I just recorded the final prices for future ref.

I think the better pricing was toward the end (After most people blew the wad and left).
I did end up getting an ML350. I am sure it wasn't a great bargain, but I don't think I paid too much.

I was amazed that a 2012 Honda CRV (40K miles) sold for $17,700 when the Kelly Blue Book range is between 16,500 and 18,200!!! That's crazy!!!!

·
Banned
6,224 Posts
Gee, I didn't notice any LIF apparel in the crowd. LOL

Most of them started above my limit, so I just recorded the final prices for future ref.

I think the better pricing was toward the end (After most people blew the wad and left).
I did end up getting an ML350. I am sure it wasn't a great bargain, but I don't think I paid too much.

I was amazed that a 2012 Honda CRV (40K miles) sold for $17,700 when the Kelly Blue Book range is between 16,500 and 18,200!!! That's crazy!!!!
I get Benz's people buy at auctions at work a lot.Ill pray for you.....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm interested in possibly attending an auction soon, to replace my wife's car with something more kid-friendly like a mini van, etc...

Can you post a few example good deals you noticed from today's auction?

Also, do you have any recourse in the event you end up buying a lemon?

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I'm interested in possibly attending an auction soon, to replace my wife's car with something more kid-friendly like a mini van, etc...

Can you post a few example good deals you noticed from today's auction?

Also, do you have any recourse in the event you end up buying a lemon?
Minivans were going cheap. was only a couple, and I didn't note the prices on them.

You're buying "As-Is, Where-is" there is no warranty, period. You need to know what you're looking at. (and IMO, you need to get it low enough to be worth the risk)

Here's a tease - there was a Mercedes SL500 that hammered at $9,500..... it was subject to bank approval though so we don't know if the price will be accepted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.