Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a new ford pickup..was thinking of getting a gibson cat back exhaust...to help justify the cost, what if any increase in gas mileage would I get? how about with a cold air intake? thanks for any help!

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I have used a Gibson system on my Expedition. It fit well and had a nice rumble. If I had to do it again, I would have invested the extra money and bought the Borla system. It will outlast your truck.

I have also used the K&N intake system with good luck. It made a noticably improvement in throttle response. Just don't over oil it or you will be replacing the MAP sensor.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
+1 on Borla.

I used them in a vette.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have also used the K&N intake system with good luck. It made a noticably improvement in throttle response. Just don't over oil it or you will be replacing the MAP sensor.
The MAF sensor is the one that will get affected by over-oiling. :)

I have the Volant coild air intake on my Xterra and it works well (especially for offroading when connected to a snorkel)
My wife's Wrangler has the Air-Aid cold air intake which works well too.
And I have a Steeda (Ford racing) cold air intake on my 06 mustang.
There are alternatives to K&N filterchargers.

Also note:
With my mustang, I also needed a tuner and custom tune in order to prevent a lean-out condition due to more incoming air.
It will trigger an engine light without the tune.
I don't know if you're truck is a closed loops system or not.
Might want to verify that before possibly triggering an engine light and lean-out condition.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Pate said:
I wouldn't expect much of a gain. Maybe 1+, but I never noticed much.

You're correct. It is the MAF sensor. My damn iPhone corrected it to "MAP" for me. :)
That damn Iphone predictive text. LOL

As for mileage increases..I definitely noticed a significant mileage increase in the Mustang, mainly due to the custom tune but the intake definitely helped.
The biggest problem is your lead foot after installing an intake and exhaust.
It sounds so nice that you'll be really heavy on the gas for the first few tanks.
After the feeling wears off a bit, you should pick up a little mileage by driving slower.
I wouldn't count on anything more than 1mpg if that.

I went from 20mpg to 27mpg highway in my mustang because of the intake/exhaust and mileage tune and most importantly changing driving habits.

The main benefit from going with a K&N is being able to clean it and reuse it.
That will add up over time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You will have a very minimal increase in fuel economy (maybe 1 or 2 MPG) if any at all.  On my non-tuned 05 GTO with Corsa sport exhaust and lingenfelter intake (basically a K&N filter on the stock tube)  I noticed a 2 MPG increase on the highway and it is about the same city.  It will certainly sound nice though!  Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Rule of thumb is that mods, even when increasing efficiency reduce mileage. Freeing up some power means you'll likely use it more, thus worst mileage. If your able to turn of the speed side of your brain you can see some increases (especially from things like chip/tune).

The biggest favor you can do yourself is get a ride with someone who already has it, cause the highway drone could be an unforeseen downside that might get annoying.

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
O1SalsaX said:
That damn Iphone predictive text. LOL

As for mileage increases..I definitely noticed a significant mileage increase in the Mustang, mainly due to the custom tune but the intake definitely helped.
The biggest problem is your lead foot after installing an intake and exhaust.
It sounds so nice that you'll be really heavy on the gas for the first few tanks.
After the feeling wears off a bit, you should pick up a little mileage by driving slower.
I wouldn't count on anything more than 1mpg if that.

I went from 20mpg to 27mpg highway in my mustang because of the intake/exhaust and mileage tune and most importantly changing driving habits.

The main benefit from going with a K&N is being able to clean it and reuse it.
That will add up over time.
who did the tune???

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have a ford F-250  5.4 V-8 crew cab 8' bed. I have a cold air intake and I noticed 1Plus MPG and some increase in performance, I can get 15.5 mpg hwy. If you want a K&N I'll give you one free it is about six months old. I bought it and then my son bought me the airid intake so I boxed the K&N. My truck is an 2008 gas. let me know

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
M14BULLETTS said:
who did the tune???
I have two different tunes on my programmer (can fit a third as well).
93 octane race tune from BamaChips
87 Octance Mileage tune from VMP Performance
Both companies can email the tune to you. Just install the Xcal software and plug in the tuner into a USB cable and upload it. :)
Companies like Superchips offer FREE tunes!!
They offer it for the new Wranglers if you buy their $380 tuner.
Pretty damn cool.
The tunes for my mustang were $50 each or three for $125.
And they have Mileage, Performance, Torque and Race tunes.
A custom tune for nitrous, super or turbocharged motors cost more money.

Definitely worth looking into. :)

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Hey phumb. . . speaking of increasing your MPGs. . . are you running full synthetic in your vehicles?  I use it in my infamous Black 1996 Ford E150 High-Top Cruise Van with the White Wall Tires and found I got immediate gratification by doing so. For one thing, it ran much stronger and sure of itself and gave me, I'd say, an additional 1 mpg both around town and over the road. I change it every 5-6,000 miles with a fresh oil filter too.  Also power flushed the transmission and torque converter every 30-35,000 miles. Fords like that!  lol.  Oh. . and the rear differential also . . just because.  ;)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the replies!! probably am going to go for it, cold intake also...should I get the gibson "kit" and do it myself? if not, any recommendations on who I should get? thanks again!
bird-I was little concerned about the highway drone, from most I've read, its not to bad???
ecr- haven't changed yet, probably on my 1st or second change....thanks again!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
phumb said:
thanks for the replies!! probably am going to go for it, cold intake also...should I get the gibson "kit" and do it myself? if not, any recommendations on who I should get? thanks again!
bird-I was little concerned about the highway drone, from most I've read, its not to bad???
ecr- haven't changed yet, probably on my 1st or second change....thanks again!
A bunch of my friends had the gibson systems on their Xterras with poor results.
The supposed "stainless steel" rusted bad fairly quickly.
I have an HKS stainless exhaust on my Xterra and the tailpipe rusted completely off right behind the muffler.
Maybe it's the northeast and salt, or maybe it's just trash.

So, choose wisely on your exhaust, otherwise you'll end up replacing it again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.