Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Any Chevy K/C series guys on here?

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Babaloo 
#1 ·
One of the things that was a must have for me after moving out of NY was a nice, old school, lifted , bad Butt, country truck.
I always loved the old square body Chevy K series pickups. I looked at a bunch and finaly found her. A 1985 K10.
Im not "a car guy" but im not totally helpless either. I grew up in the days of fix your own car so i can already do most jobs on my own but i would love to have someone for advice or help with fixes im not familiar with. Or even ust someone to shoot the poop about trucks and give me some ideas for her.
The AC needed a total overhaul when I got it, I replaced the entire system and found that due to the body lift and not having a lower fan shroud it was causing the ac to overheat. I installed a pair of electric fans that suck 4500 cfm and she's blowing real cold now.
Old truck guys???

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Plant Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle tire

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Excellent observation! Im already looking into it. There is plenty of room and connection points, im thinking heavy rubber??? Any ideas?

#6 ·
#16 ·
I think that pulley was replaced, for the exact same reason , they removed the fan clutch and had the fan running constantly because of the shroud issue.

This thread has paid off already thanks to OUP, I went back out and lined up the top half of the fan shroud, two 1/4 in thick cuts about an inch long and the top half of the shroud fit right back on , airflow increased dramatically! The bottom half should fit with no mods.

#18 ·
Unfortunately I had to replace the whole ac system, everything was bad. Costly to say the least..
hopefully yours wont be as bad.
Bumpers definitely make a truck.. I love mine..worth the investment!

#19 ·
For some reason it wouldn't let me quote you.

"sweet truck man. I wouldn't worry too much about that gap unless you plan on sitting in traffic with the truck. if you must fix it, the best way is to drill holes in the sides of the fan and the edge of the radiator. use steel safety wire to build a simple lattice support. Lay fiberglass cloth over the lattice. brush resin over cloth. simple, under $50, custom fit to your gaps. Let it dry, remove it, paint it put it back in place. secure with small self tappers. "

I love this idea, the old shroud will work great but I like the custom design . The old shroud Is big.
Thanks

#22 ·
Quick update, I hit a local U Pull it yard and got a lower cowl, a window wash motor and a coolant reservoir tank. All three items came to $19.86.
I got the lower cowl to fit around the new fans, perfect fit and everything Is running cool with great airflow.
I also put in a high output alternator , 140 amp, because at idle with the fans and AC on I was reading a little low on amps. Its so nice working on this truck. Tons of room to work , simple systems , just fun updating and fixing things.
Next is the dash, needs a few cracks fixed and then im going to wrap it with 3m DinoLoc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.