Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that was a must have for me after moving out of NY was a nice, old school, lifted , bad Butt, country truck.
I always loved the old square body Chevy K series pickups. I looked at a bunch and finaly found her. A 1985 K10.
Im not "a car guy" but im not totally helpless either. I grew up in the days of fix your own car so i can already do most jobs on my own but i would love to have someone for advice or help with fixes im not familiar with. Or even ust someone to shoot the poop about trucks and give me some ideas for her.
The AC needed a total overhaul when I got it, I replaced the entire system and found that due to the body lift and not having a lower fan shroud it was causing the ac to overheat. I installed a pair of electric fans that suck 4500 cfm and she's blowing real cold now.
Old truck guys???

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Plant Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle tire

Attachments

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
I would love to own a computerless K30.

Reactions: Babaloo

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks nice. I would however fashion some type of shroud around those fans, they seem a little too far from the radiator to function at their peak.
Excellent observation! Im already looking into it. There is plenty of room and connection points, im thinking heavy rubber??? Any ideas?

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks nice. I would however fashion some type of shroud around those fans, they seem a little too far from the radiator to function at their peak.
I also thought about mounting the fan on the other side of the mount to bring the fan closer, but im thinking that a shroud around the whole thing would draw more air through the entire radiator surface? Agree?

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
I also thought about mounting the fan on the other side of the mount to bring the fan closer, but im thinking that a shroud around the whole thing would draw more air through the entire radiator surface? Agree?
Yes, more surface area. The set up you have should lend itself very easily to get this done. The upper radiator frame has holes already in it and your use of angle aluminum gives you a nice mount on the frame. Same angle on the bottom?

Always had issues with electric fans while sitting at lights when I was young and dumb until I learned to shroud them. Used to be able to watch the temp gauge rise. Are these automatically controled by coolant temp? If so I would also add a switch.

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, more surface area. The set up you have should lend itself very easily to get this done. The upper radiator frame has holes already in it and your use of angle aluminum gives you a nice mount on the frame. Same angle on the bottom?

Always had issues with electric fans while sitting at lights when I was young and dumb until I learned to shroud them. Used to be able to watch the temp gauge rise. Are these automatically controled by coolant temp? If so I would also add a switch.
Yes on a thermostat and manual switch. After you mentioned the old shroud , I ran outside to take a look and I think if its cut right it will fit the top perfectly. I dont have the bottom shroud but getting one wont be a problem, there are a ton of "U pick " salvage yards down here and they are littered with these trucks.
The fans will suck a piece of paper out of your hand and hold it tight to the grill the way they are but they aren't working to their max for sure.
Its hot as hell down here and they are working so im im going to take my time and get it right.

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
Yes on a thermostat and manual switch. After you mentioned the old shroud , I ran outside to take a look and I think if its cut right it will fit the top perfectly. I dont have the bottom shroud but getting one wont be a problem, there are a ton of "U pick " salvage yards down here and they are littered with these trucks.
The fans will suck a piece of paper out of your hand and hold it tight to the grill the way they are but they aren't working to their max for sure.
Its hot as hell down here and they are working so im im going to take my time and get it right.
Don't forget the sides and the gap in the frame.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a 1989 dodge ram 4x4 pick up diesel l am trying to clean up. It runs great and does anything I ask it to. I have to fix the a/c and have it painted, install newer style bumpers and new style lights. She looks good now but I am looking for great.

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What belt are you missing? I see an empty spot on the water pump pulley. AIR injection pump?
I think that pulley was replaced, for the exact same reason , they removed the fan clutch and had the fan running constantly because of the shroud issue.

This thread has paid off already thanks to OUP, I went back out and lined up the top half of the fan shroud, two 1/4 in thick cuts about an inch long and the top half of the shroud fit right back on , airflow increased dramatically! The bottom half should fit with no mods.

·
I'm a Michigander now.
5,119 Posts
Excellent observation! Im already looking into it. There is plenty of room and connection points, im thinking heavy rubber??? Any ideas?
sweet truck man. I wouldn't worry too much about that gap unless you plan on sitting in traffic with the truck. if you must fix it, the best way is to drill holes in the sides of the fan and the edge of the radiator. use steel safety wire to build a simple lattice support. Lay fiberglass cloth over the lattice. brush resin over cloth. simple, under $50, custom fit to your gaps. Let it dry, remove it, paint it put it back in place. secure with small self tappers.

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 1989 dodge ram 4x4 pick up diesel l am trying to clean up. It runs great and does anything I ask it to. I have to fix the a/c and have it painted, install newer style bumpers and new style lights. She looks good now but I am looking for great.
Unfortunately I had to replace the whole ac system, everything was bad. Costly to say the least..
hopefully yours wont be as bad.
Bumpers definitely make a truck.. I love mine..worth the investment!

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For some reason it wouldn't let me quote you.

"sweet truck man. I wouldn't worry too much about that gap unless you plan on sitting in traffic with the truck. if you must fix it, the best way is to drill holes in the sides of the fan and the edge of the radiator. use steel safety wire to build a simple lattice support. Lay fiberglass cloth over the lattice. brush resin over cloth. simple, under $50, custom fit to your gaps. Let it dry, remove it, paint it put it back in place. secure with small self tappers. "

I love this idea, the old shroud will work great but I like the custom design . The old shroud Is big.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.