Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,170 Posts
My wife is waiting for her permit and I have been looking around for a small type handgun for her.
I was thinking about an LC9 when I came across this S&W Chief at a garage sale, (yes legal).
I took it out for a test drive at the range yesterday, tried different loads including some custom
reloads, (Thanks Rick) did pretty good accurate but I don't think my wife is going to like the recoil.
Since I am not much of a handgun guy, prefer long guns, I was just wondering from some of the more knowledgeable members any advice/tricks we can try? Maybe just a bigger wife?

Attachments

· Registered
11,590 Posts
First problem is going to be the barrel length - the short barrel adds significantly to felt/perceived recoil... I was amazed at the difference between my 4" S&W model 10 (K-frame, like the pic above but more barrel) and my Ruger SP101 3-1/2"... same loads.

I'm using a very light load, I think it's 3gr bullseye under a 158gr bullet and in the 4" gun it's nice and gentle, the 3-1/2" feels quite snappy.

Also I'll second the replacement grips suggestion - those tiny wood grips are great for a pocket or ankle holster, but there's nothing to hold onto.
I've got two different types of grips on k-frames, one is a larger square butt, the other is a smaller finger grooved rounded bottom... on the model 10 it makes it look like a completely different gun, and again, completely different feel on recoil.

Reactions: QuanLoi

· Patience
1,741 Posts
You didn't give us much to go on so the comments above reflect certain assumptions:
If your wife will be carrying this in her purse, I'd STRONGLY recommend a shrouded hammer such as the Lady Smith.
The LC9 is a pistol and the S&W Chief is a revolver. This is like saying stick shift .vs. paddle shift. They both shift but do so differently and one is fairly obvious while the other is more knowledge intensive. The LC9 requires knowledge of how to not only operate a pistol (is it loaded, on safe, in batter, etc) but how to clear jams that are unique to semi's and reload. The S&W requires only the knowledge of how to pull the trigger as it will sit for decades untouched and when accessed and the trigger pulled, it will go bang

The comments about the grips are correct but truly not necessary if this is just a safe or dresser firearm. If she will be going to the range and getting "into" the sport, by all means the best way to piss off and turn off a woman is to make a manly assumption about what gun to get her. Take her to a good shop, let her choose. It may be that she has large hands and requires a larger frame gun. I have no idea.

Full disclosure - I have a .38 Detective Special in the safe just in case a no-thinking firearm is needed. It is loaded with .38 waddcutters in the belief that if you can't hit and stop the intruder at point blank range with this round, you have bigger problems. A handgun is a point defense weapon in the hands of all but police and combat trained people.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Schoen, She won't be carrying it, and I considered all your points revolver/semi mainly for safety and ease of use I was thinking a revolver would be better, thanks for the advice.

· Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Not sure what loads you were using, but you might try Hornady .38 sp. Critical Defense Lite...90 gr. FTX. Nice pink tip as well. (And definitely change the grips.) And as long as she isn't going to carry this, go for a nice S&W Model 10 with 4" barrel.

· INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
All good points, I like revolvers for a new shooter as like Schoen stated...Hell even for me, I carried one for many moons. When the rubber hits the road, a persons thought process seizes up..A revolver gives you 5 for sure, I load my rounds with 4gr WW231 or 4.5gr Unique whic h cronies at 850-900fps using a home cast 158gr Swc...But if you purchase lighter commercial ammo, the lighter the projectile the less recoil, Hornady makes a critical defense with a reduced load for smaller frame women...It is also good you got a steel revolver, The plastic and alloy ones are easier to carry, but the felt recoil is also greater due to the lack of weight.. Again a nice model 10 would be perfect for a house gun with the light bullets...

· Banned
17,097 Posts
You didn't give us much to go on so the comments above reflect certain assumptions:
If your wife will be carrying this in her purse, I'd STRONGLY recommend a shrouded hammer such as the Lady Smith.
The LC9 is a pistol and the S&W Chief is a revolver. This is like saying stick shift .vs. paddle shift. They both shift but do so differently and one is fairly obvious while the other is more knowledge intensive. The LC9 requires knowledge of how to not only operate a pistol (is it loaded, on safe, in batter, etc) but how to clear jams that are unique to semi's and reload. The S&W requires only the knowledge of how to pull the trigger as it will sit for decades untouched and when accessed and the trigger pulled, it will go bang

The comments about the grips are correct but truly not necessary if this is just a safe or dresser firearm. If she will be going to the range and getting "into" the sport, by all means the best way to piss off and turn off a woman is to make a manly assumption about what gun to get her. Take her to a good shop, let her choose. It may be that she has large hands and requires a larger frame gun. I have no idea.

Full disclosure - I have a .38 Detective Special in the safe just in case a no-thinking firearm is needed. It is loaded with .38 waddcutters in the belief that if you can't hit and stop the intruder at point blank range with this round, you have bigger problems. A handgun is a point defense weapon in the hands of all but police and combat trained people.
You lost me at wadcutters for self defense.

Less penetration, harder to reload. Great for paper, not so much for flesh.

· Banned
3,178 Posts

A 38 wadcutter is no bigger than a .38 fmj or hallow point...!Pull out your calipers and compare them

· Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Good set of rubber grips will go a long way. If you're concerned about the hammer, sleeve type holster velcroed in to the purse or a purse with a concealed pocket feature. I second the Hollow Points- Wad cutters are for precise scoring on a paper target and while better than nothing would not be my choice for a PDW. I got my Mom the Wiley Clapp GP 100- Rubber grips with a rosewood insert. Gives shock absorption of rubber with the "grippability" of wood

Reactions: Edward_Blake
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.