Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are driving me nuts. I have these tiny ants in my kitchen mostly on the counters. We have tried everything. Removed the appliances and cleaned under/behind them. completely cleaned the counters, backsplash, floors, and cabinets. I have sprayed insecticide on the counter seams (on the underside) and outside. Nothing. I put out ant baits and haven't seen even one go in. They have been there for weeks with no impact, so I'm guessing the baits are useless. I have already brought up having an "accidental" grease fire while cooking. It kills the ants and I get a new kitchen, but my wife shot that down. Any advice would be great.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
We had the same issue. We were on a Terminex plan, they came, sprayed something into the baseboards and we have not had any issues since.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Bait them and allow them to kill their own nest.
It's actually cheap and easy but NOT immediate.
This stuff:
Font Poster Advertising Illustration Logo

It's basically sugar water and borax.
Daily place a few drops on a piece of wax paper and put it in their line of travel.
They'll bring it back to the colony which is what you want.
It'll take about a week for the colony to die.
Then prevent them from coming in.
Ant block is good.
Another simple method is to get spectracide lawn treatment and use it heavily around the perimeter of your house out several feet.
Find any ant hills and sprinkle it around them.
Kill them all with extreme prejudice!

Attachments

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
They sound like a pavement ant. Look outside on foundation of entire house for trails of thousands of them extending sometimes to 75 ' . Keep treating weekly until trail is gone. I am talking hundreds of thousands in numbers.

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Ok I'll throw you guys a bone on this one .. THE BUGS IN THE SOUTH ARE F'n CRAZY!!
Holy crap ive never seen bugs and ants like we have down here. I guess insects love freedom too!
I spay , spread granuals, and use fire ant killer every 3 weeks.
And everything bites!!
Sooo you got that going for you...which is nice!

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
There was a post here not too long ago that sugguess boric acid and sugar mixed in a slurry then dipping a cotton ball in the mix and said it will kill them all.

I tried looking for the boric acid but it was hard to find locally.
That was me. Saved myself $600 to boot. I got boric acid from the pharmacy counter at CVS. You have to ask the pharmacist for it. No Rx required. 24 hours later there wasn't an ant to be found anywhere. They were freaking everywhere too! They even got into the dishwasher. It was gross.

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Ok I'll throw you guys a bone on this one .. THE BUGS IN THE SOUTH ARE F'n CRAZY!!
Holy crap ive never seen bugs and ants like we have down here. I guess insects love freedom too!
I spay , spread granuals, and use fire ant killer every 3 weeks.
And everything bites!!
Sooo you got that going for you...which is nice!
My Brother lives in The Great Dismal swamp in NC, There's so many bugs on his screen door, you cant see outside...Poison snakes, Poison spiders, A target rich environment. ....

Reactions: Babaloo

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Terro Ant Killer - bye, bye ants.
I think Terro is basically corn syrup and boric acid. I find a lot of dead ants in and around the bait but eventually they stop taking the bait and it doesn't wipe out the nest.

I usually have ants start to show up twice a year - in the Spring and Fall. A couple years ago, I noticed 2-way "highways" of ants up and down my foundation but I couldn't locate the colonies. The first time I used the Amdro, I also put down diatomaceous earth at the same time. I never saw another ant in the house after that and the highways were gone. But I didn't know if it was the Amdro or the DE. The next time I started to see ants, I just put down a ring of Amdro. Same result. The ants were gone the next day and stayed gone for months. I have now used it 3 times and all 3 times the results were decisive and immediate. This past Spring, I had a minor infestation and the Amdro worked like a charm. I think the colonies near the house have mostly died off. But I see a lot of ant hills far from the house, mainly out by the curb at the edge of the lawn. That's fine.

I'll expect to see some more activity when the weather gets cooler. But each time it seems to be less and less.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Stick a few of the critters on a piece of magic tape and take them to Cooperative Extension to be ID'ed. Different ants have different diets, some like sugar some protein.

When they are properly ID'ed do some research on the particular ant on the web.

You may have Pharaoh ants, ghost ants, pavement ants Argentine ants or some other species.

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely try some stuff tomorrow. Probably pick up the Amdro at HD around the corner. Also the boric acid ant baits will go down. Boric acid is in the supermarket (Borax cleaner). Easy to make. Hopefully the 1-2 punch will knock them out.

Reactions: NorthForkSportsman
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.