Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From GunsAmerica e-mail today
Jim Jeffries on US Gun Control

Lighten up and enjoy it, its funny - misguided but funny.
If it is going to piss you off, move along.

So, this past Labor Day weekend I was in Jekyll Island, Georgia, for a wedding. One of my girlfriend's friends was getting married. On the whole, I hate weddings. They're expensive, they're time consuming and the pomp and pageantry of the occasion is just plain nauseating.
However, there are some positives to weddings. Free booze, mainly. (Well, it's technically not free because of the generous gift you end up giving, at least $100 per plate is the going rate nowadays, I think). And occasionally you meet some pretty cool people.
My girlfriend's other friend (one who wasn't getting married) has a husband named Richard, and he was a nice guy. Although she told me about him before, I met him for the first time. He is a former Scottish rugby player who now works in corporate staffing. To be clear, not an American of Scottish descent, but an immigrant from Scotland. We got to talking and inevitably the topic of what-do-you-do-for-a-living came up and I said, "I'm a journalist. I am the news and political editor for GunsAmerica."
"Hmmm, GunsAmerica, what's that like?" he asked. I told him about the website, the News and Reviews portion, the retail aspect, I may have even used our tagline, "Where America Buys and Sells Guns," and his eyes lit up and he said, "Boy, I have something you need to watch."
He pulled out his iPhone and began playing the video I have embedded above. It's an Australian comedian, named Jim Jefferies, doing a bit on gun control.
Richard confessed to hating guns and sharing the perspective of Jeffries, who Richard believed, perfectly summed up his feelings on gun and gun control in the routine, which is basically that gun ownership should be heavily restricted and regulated and that many commonly owned and widely popular firearms, like the AR-15, should be outright banned. In short, the U.S. should adopt European style gun laws.
I watched the video and I thought it was pretty entertaining. There were some funny parts. Jeffries is a funny comic and a skilled rhetorician. That said, I clearly disagreed with many of his arguments. And after watching it, I explained to Richard why I felt that most of what Jeffries was saying, although funny, was misguided.
I explained to Richard how the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history, Virginia Tech, wasn't perpetrated with a so-called assault rifle but with two popular handguns; that statistically speaking, rifles of any make or model are used in less than four percent of gun homicides; that there are at least as many defensive gun uses per year (200,000 at the very least) as there are gun-related crimes in this country, meaning good guys protect themselves as often, if not more frequently, with guns than bad guys use guns in criminal acts; that gun homicides are down 49 percent in this country since 1993, meanwhile, concealed carry rights have expanded to all 50 states; that the Second Amendment is a safeguard to the preservation of liberty and that even though a government may have drones and modern military weaponry a well-trained, determined militia armed with rifles can wreak havoc on a technologically superior superpower, case in point, the U.S.'s failures in the war on terror in Iraq but specifically in Afghanistan; that before he makes a definitive judgment on the Second Amendment he should go to the range and shoot some guns (which he acknowledged he hadn't done), and finally, that overall gun owners are good people and that, given that his wife and him now live in Florida, he should consider getting to know some.
Richard admitted that I made some good points and that perhaps the reason why he felt the way he did was because he grew up in a culture that had a passionate disdain for firearms.
In the end, I don't know what will become of our meeting or conversation on firearms. Maybe Richard will attempt to learn more about guns, gun ownership and gun owners. Maybe he won't. But I guess the cool part is that we were at least able to talk about a very divisive and hot-button issue, in a civil and respectful manner, over some beers, at an otherwise banal event. No one got angry. No one got upset. And we both got to share our perspectives. I guess I call that progress.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I always get a kick out of discussing with anti-gunners the "threat" argument.

So me sitting with them is not a threat.
They may have known me for years and never saw me as a threat.
I visit their family, play with their kids, break bread at their table. No threat.
But if I told them I have a gun at home then now suddenly they will forever see me as a "threat"?

How do people live like that in perpetual fear?!

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
In the spirit of that comedy skit.....

F!ck off, I like my guns!

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
At least Scottish Richard wasn't a complete "Richard". Seems like he could assimilate into a 2A culture.

Reactions: Duke

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Jim Jefferies always talks about how Australia banned semi automatic rifles and the country hasn't experienced another mass shooting.
He is definitely pushing the political anti gun movement here in America thanks to his countries ban on certain weapons!

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like all guys with a microphone and an agenda, the truth comes second to the agenda.

State laws regulate the ownership, possession and use of firearms in Australia. These laws were largely aligned in 1996 by the National Firearms Agreement. Anyone wishing to possess or use a firearm must have a firearms licence and, with some exceptions, be over the age of 18. Owners must have secure storage for their firearms.

Mass murders in Austrailia, begining with the Port Arthur spree mentioned in the rant are listed below, notice how many /sarcasm were committed by assault rifles.

Port Arthur massacre - In 1996, armed with two semi-automatic rifles, Martin Bryant killed 35 people around Port Arthur and wounded 21 before being caught by police the next day following an overnight siege.
Childers Palace Fire - In June 2000, drifter and con-artist Robert Long started a FIRE at the Childers Palace backpackers hostel that killed 15 people.
Sef Gonzales - On July 10, 2001, Sef Gonzales BLUDGEONED to death his sister, mother and father with a baseball bat.
Monash University shooting - In October 2002, Huan Yun Xiang, a student, shot his classmates and teacher, killing two and injuring five.
Churchill Fire - 10 confirmed deaths due to a deliberately lit fire. The fire was lit on 7 February 2009.[5]
Lin family murders - On July 2009, Lian Bin "Robert" Xie killed his sister, her husband and three members of their family (5 persons from the Lin family) with a HAMMER. The faces of the victims were so disfigured that forensics had to be used to identify them. The motivation for the family massacre were partly because Lin had criticised Xie for not having a job.
2011 Hectorville siege - A mass shooting that took place on Friday, April 29, 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, went on a shooting rampage, killing three people and wounding a child and two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.[6]
Quakers Hill Nursing Home Fire - 10 confirmed and as many as 21 people may have died as a result of a deliberately lit FIRE in a Quakers Hill nursing home. The fire was lit early on 18 November 2011.[7]
Hunt family murders - Geoff Hunt killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself on September 9, 2014.[8]
Cairns stabbings - A woman STABBED 8 children to death on Friday, 2014, December 19, 2014. 7 of them were her own.[9]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.