Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just purchased another handgun today from Benson's. I really like the new store ;). I have always been treated nice there. everything went real smooth. I just cant wait to pick it up :)

As a side note: As spring is approaching, I might do some spring cleaning. I might consider selling 1 or 2 handguns in the safe ;)

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Benson's is the best for us out east... I always leave with a smile.

·
Banned
144 Posts
You got that right.. I just purchased a Ruger Single Six from them today.
Ruger Single Six, Stainless Steel, Rosewood Grips,
5.5 inch Barrel. Two Cylinders, .22 LR and .22 Magnum
John

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
sbninja said:
Well I just purchased another handgun today from Benson's. I really like the new store ;). I have always been treated nice there. everything went real smooth. I just cant wait to pick it up :)
That's it? No good info like...what make, model, caliber?. You score a 3 out of 10 on that post !! ;)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
+1 for Benson's. Very clean store, lots of help and you can see all of their stock.

Bought my Bushmaster AR and Mossberg Cruiser there last week.

Close to Yaphank for handgun purchases.

·
Registered
549 Posts
sbninja said:

As a side note: As spring is approaching, I might do some spring cleaning. I might consider selling 1 or 2 handguns in the safe ;)
So, what did you get??? :toetap

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sorry, but can't agree....
I've bought over $1300 of guns/mags there within the last 5-6 months...still get attitude whenever I walk in there. No recognition of repeat customers... blank stares...wise @ss remarks. Bought a WASR (laugh all you want) without doing any real research on what Century included in their standard deal (two mags, strap, assorted this and thats... ) and they had the nerve to SELL me the second mag that should have been included in the standard purchase..and of course they upped the price of the gun alone about $150 and then sold me my second (supposedly included) mag for $40.
Screw them, my fault for not being more aware/a newb to begin with...
I'll order my imminent handgun through a local FFL the next time.
Yes, the merch is nicely arranged, actual transfer of funds goes relatively smooth. Big deal. Inflated prices/[email protected] attitudes...done with them.

end rant

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toothy said:
I've bought over $1300 of guns/mags there within the last 5-6 months...still get attitude whenever I walk in there. No recognition of repeat customers... blank stares...wise @ss remarks. Bought a WASR (laugh all you want) without doing any real research on what Century included in their standard deal (two mags, strap, assorted this and thats... ) and they had the nerve to SELL me the second mag that should have been included in the standard purchase..and of course they upped the price of the gun alone about $150 and then sold me my second (supposedly included) mag for $40.
Yes, the merch is nicely arranged, actual transfer of funds goes relatively smooth. Big deal. Inflated prices/[email protected] attitudes...done with them.

end rant
Sorry you didn't have a good experience there. I have never experienced anything of the sort, I've bought quite a few firearmse from them.

As far as prices, you just need to do you homework. Somethings they are high priced, and others are reasonable - go figure. I like walking into a gun shop, that actually has there firearms on display ;) and much to chose from.

Also, I don't think you can buy a handgun in suffolk county through just anyone with a ffl ;) Need to also be a licensed gun dealer.

I stopped in at another local gun shop, I do buy ammo here frequently. They did not have ONE handgun in any of their display case. and did not have the revolver I was looking for. He could have ordered it for more than I paid at Benson's ;)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
sbninja said:
As far as prices, you just need to do you homework.

Also, I don't think you can buy a handgun in suffolk county through just anyone with a ffl ;) Need to also be a licensed gun dealer.

Well that's good to know.
I will drive 3x the distance and try my luck at Campsite...from what i've read, the posters here give an overwhelming thumbs up to them.

Can't say I've read the same about Bensons...and now I know why. Learn the hard way I guess...
Yea, like i said, my fault for being a newb, not doing enough research...just feel I got taken advantage of there..

Well that's good to know about the FFL/licensed gun dealer.
I will drive 3x the distance and try my luck at Campsite...from what i've read, the posters here give an overwhelming thumbs up to them.

Can't say I've read the same about Bensons...and now I know why. Learn the hard way I guess...

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Well, such as life. Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield.

I've dealt with Benson's several times and never had a bad experience. Granted, most of the stuff I purchase there is "used" but I'm always treated fairly. I purchased something a few months back that was a bit pricey but hey, I wanted it. The staff there treats me good but I tend to gravitate towards Mark. He's a good guy in my book.

And don't laugh, I too own a WASR. Before anyone knocks it, I took it through a punishing 8 hr carbine course and not even a hiccup. A few AR's crapped the bed but that junky AK didn't miss a beat. I'll challenge anyone with a torture test with this crappy AK. I love the stupid thing.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I have always had good experiences at Benson's. The people behind the counter have always been courteous to me & willing to help.

I have purchased several guns from there over the years and never felt taken advantage of.

YMMV

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sparkz said:
I have always had good experiences at Benson's. The people behind the counter have always been courteous to me & willing to help.

I have purchased several guns from there over the years and never felt taken advantage of.

YMMV
How are the prizes

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
SigSauer228 said:
Well, such as life. Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield.

I've dealt with Benson's several times and never had a bad experience. Granted, most of the stuff I purchase there is "used" but I'm always treated fairly. I purchased something a few months back that was a bit pricey but hey, I wanted it. The staff there treats me good but I tend to gravitate towards Mark. He's a good guy in my book.

And don't laugh, I too own a WASR. Before anyone knocks it, I took it through a punishing 8 hr carbine course and not even a hiccup. A few AR's crapped the bed but that junky AK didn't miss a beat. I'll challenge anyone with a torture test with this crappy AK. I love the stupid thing.
I was not really being too serious there... I love mine as well. I've only put about 500 rounds of Silver BEAR FMJ THROUGH IT...NO FTF (though that would be the bullets fault...no?), FTE, stovepipes..nothing. Just figured I'd catch crap from the gun snobs that may be lurking and beat them to the punch!

I honestly think that I get attitude there because I always walk in from work with a shirt/tie...and a real friendly attitude.
This may be "delusions of persecution", but seriously, I feel I should walk in there with a John Deere hat and a "know it all" attitude and would probably get better service.
Just for example, when I asked the rather large gentleman what the WASR purchase came with, my deadpan reply was "a cardboard box", and then some snickers from the other guys within earshot. Not really professional..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For the most part, I like Benson's. I've always been treated kindly and they've always been helpful, however I did see him go off on someone once. I actually found that amusing. Only things I don't like are 25% for FFL transfers is bogus. Second, when I first bought my AR, I had problems with extraction. The shells would not eject, and actually got stuck in the extractor. I took it back, and it turns out I put the bolt in upside down into the bolt carrier, and they charged me 20 bucks for that.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Toothy said:

end rant
They have wierd pricing, you have to shop all brands to get good prices. I special ordered a NIB Zastava AK47 there for about $300 out the door, but the WASR's they had I also thought were overpriced. In the same way, I feel like I overpaid for my hi-point at benson's, but they also sold me a Rossi levergun, a 10/22, and a .22 wmr marlin (all christmas gifts) for very good prices.

I always deal with the same two guys, the ones that are both USAF vets, they seem to be the managers or owners but I dont know. They always treat me right. I cant say anything for the other guys there, I never deal with anyone but those two guys. They don't usually remember me at first, but just remind them what you bought last time and it will usually ring a bell.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Toothy said:
Just for example, when I asked the rather large gentleman what the WASR purchase came with, my deadpan reply was "a cardboard box", and then some snickers from the other guys within earshot. Not really professional..
Lol... The guy with the slight stutter? He's one of the ones I deal with there... I personally appreciate that kind of humor. To each his own... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.