Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, firstly please no Asian bondage references other than this one. This is a serious subject. I've met a truly inspirational real life hero that wound up living right around the corner from me. This individual was wounded in the defense of our country while serving as a MARSOC Marine in Afghanistan. As a result of his grievous wounds he lost a major portion of his leg. His wounds did not slow him down a bit, since coming home, he has diligently worked to raise money and awareness of the sacrifices our SF community has made in support of our freedoms. So what does this have to do with Paracord you say. One thing that he loved doing was skydiving, and since his prosthetic is held on by suction force, he has not been able to enjoy this activity since his injury. What I would like to do is develop a 550 cord mesh sock to wrap his prosthetic and secure it to his body or his rig to guard it from becoming a missile if it separates from him in flight. I have no skills with 550 cord, so if anyone is talented in this area and would like to help out a true American hero, please let me know. BTW, the foundation he helps with is called the Special Operations Wounded Warriors. He has told me that a similar sounding, more well known foundation doesn't use their funding nearly as well as the SOWW. This isn't a solicitation, just informational.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WTF 8 gazillion replies to giraffes and filet-o-fish posts and nothing but crickets here? An actual worthy post? I'm disgusted. Thank you C6 for the bump.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
What the above said.

I never knew those limbs were held on just by suction....crazy.

I would be afraid any mesh you weave would have to be so tight on this man's upper leg that it would cause massive circulation problems.

better bet would be some type of upper leg brace (think forest gump heavy braces), pivot point, lower brace and through bolt through his artificial leg.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can't do para cord weaving, or any similar projects. However what if you use some Velcro attached up to a belt. similar to a leg brace on the bottom hooked up to belt in a manor similar to a drop leg holster. Should hold pretty well and be light weight enough to not screw with mobility. Just an idea to roll around, best of luck with to project.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Sorry got nothing.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK' different route taken. I just got off the phone with Sgt 1st Class Dana Bowman and I must say he is a first rate guy. For those who don't know the name, he's a double leg amputee who continued on with the Army Golden Knights after his injuries. I plan on working with him on this endeavor and he seems very willing to help. Google him to see his incredible story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.