Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in April I said I had found a new place to live and a new job both in Nassau County. After working there for few months, I realized it's not the right job. I'm not being lazy nor pessimistic. I'm a happy person and I'm willing to work my a$$ off. I'm just being realistic. It's a big company. It provides full benefits. However the pay is not good and the career prospect is like working in a fast food restaurant. I don't want to talk bad about the team leader. That's basic ethic, you know what I mean. I sit there 8 hours a day and get paid. The money is enough for the rent, utilities, and food, but nothing left. I need to work part time for my previous company at night and on the weekend in order to have some money to save. I have a master's degree from Baruch College back in 2003. But a business degree in these days is close to useless, at least in my case. I planned to get a class A CDL driver license and become a truck driver. That way I can make enough money to get married and have kids. I have friends who work in the field for many years so they will get me a job if I get the license.

Until recently my current job sent me to China for a short trip in which I had a chance to go the Hong Kong for a few days where I was born. One of my best friend wants me to stay there to help develop her business. We worked together briefly around 15 years ago, since then we've been very good friends. I mean really good friends. She opened her own business (permanent makeup) about 5 years ago. Sometimes she joked that she wanted me to go to Hong Kong to help her. Nothing was serious though. Until 2 years ago her business really took off. She conducts seminars in Europe, Canada, and Russia and make a fortune out of it. Besides, she has an online store selling exclusive products that's very profitable. She and her husband want a person who is 100% trustworthy to help develop the business. They persuaded me a whole night and I was moved. They like my language skills, marketing experience, China experience, business development experience, and my experience in the tourism industry. This job will utilize my experience and skills which I always wish to have. I see a career instead of a job. In NY I can only find a job which is always replaceable by someone else. And, finding a job is hard enough.

It looks like an easy choice. However I love the US so much I don't want to leave. My friend did want to expand her business here. She did some small seminars here in Miami and the West Coast. But she can't expand her business in this country because of local laws, insurance matters, and some other technical issues. Without any connection in the field, I can't be helpful to her here in NY at this moment. So I'll have to leave for at least a year or two.

I'll need to make the decision as soon as in September. If I leave, I'll keep the current apartment that I rent. I expect to come home like every few months. For how long I really have no idea. I have my heart and everything in NY except a sustainable job (don't want to say "A JOB I LIKE" because it's a luxury). I actually planned to get married at the end of this year and move my wife-to-be to this apartment. Now this plan may have to change.

There will be so much I'll be missing. And a lot for me to get used to, AGAIN. I wish I'll have more free time to be back to NY. My ultimate goal is to establish something solid here in the US within a few years. After all this is my home. I want my kids to be born and raised here.

LL

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
That's a tough decision to make. Sorry I can't offer you and sage advice. I've never considered living outside the US and despite some early setbacks in my career I've been lucky the last 20 years or so.

Adjusting to life in a foreign country, especially one with such a different culture, would be very difficult. You didn't say how old you are or what your education is in. That kind of change will be tougher as you get older. Experience in China/Hong Kong, even if not in the filed you'd like to work in, may prove invaluable. I wish I could help but all I can offer is a hearty "Good Luck."

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
I lived a year abroad in London & it was one of the highlights of my life. I say go for it. Hong Kong is always in the top 2 in the Economic Freedom Index and since your friend is already established there, this could be a great opportunity for you.

How old are you? Not that it matters that much, but I wouldn't blink an eye at this opportunity if I was in my 20s or 30s.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Need to keep in mind how your soon to be wife feels about all this.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a tough decision to make. Sorry I can't offer you and sage advice. I've never considered living outside the US and despite some early setbacks in my career I've been lucky the last 20 years or so.

Adjusting to life in a foreign country, especially one with such a different culture, would be very difficult. You didn't say how old you are or what your education is in. That kind of change will be tougher as you get older. Experience in China/Hong Kong, even if not in the filed you'd like to work in, may prove invaluable. I wish I could help but all I can offer is a hearty "Good Luck."
I am 38 this year. I got my business master's degree in 2003. I spent most of my adult life in Hong Kong before moving to NY for good. Then I completely adopted the American way of life. However, it's easy for me to adjust. It's not like going to India or Dubai where I have no friend and I don't know the languages.

I can always adjust my life style in the US. But a job that can only afford my rent, utilities, and food at this age is not what I expect.

I don't like the culture in Hong Kong but I don't hate it too much. For China? It's a big Sxxxhole. Not everyone agrees, but it's a real big sxxxhole to me. I never want to stay there. It's all because of money. Good thing is I have many good friends in Hong Kong and my fiance has a place there so I can live there without paying super high rent there.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Let's say everything you say in your post is 100% accurate.
If it is then I say do it.
Worst case is you travel, gain experiences and move on.
In the long run you won't regret it.

On a side note what you posted here"
But she can't expand her business in this country because of local laws, insurance matters, and some other technical issues."
is truly upsetting and telling to me about America.
This used to be. USED to be, the land of opportunity. the liberals and the governments have crushed that.

PS.
When & if you come back to the USA, stay the [email protected]#$* out of New York!
This state is done as far as opportunity. Unless you're a crook or a politician ( often on in the same) know how to work the political system, or on welfare.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Take a vacation/extended leave from your job and work with your partner as a consultant or contractor for a month or so to test the waters. See how you can adjust to the culture, lifestyle, and distance from home. That should determine whether or not this will work out for you.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need to keep in mind how your soon to be wife feels about all this.
She's actually from Hong Kong. She loves America. She has been here many times. She came last year and studied at Martha Graham for 7 months. We both agrees the US is the best place for food, house, and child development. She has some best friends in NY. Her main concern is a sustainable job.

While she works in Hong Kong at this moment, she's okay if I move to Hong Kong and postpone our American dream for a few years.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's say everything you say in your post is 100% accurate.
If it is then I say do it.
Worst case is you travel, gain experiences and move on.
In the long run you won't regret it.

On a side note what you posted here"
But she can't expand her business in this country because of local laws, insurance matters, and some other technical issues."
is truly upsetting and telling to me about America.
This used to be. USED to be, the land of opportunity. the liberals and the governments have crushed that.

PS.
When & if you come back to the USA, stay the [email protected]#$* out of New York!
This state is done as far as opportunity. Unless you're a crook or a politician ( often on in the same) know how to work the political system, or on welfare.
Agree. In Europe, Russia, and Asia, everything is very strict forward. Our big concern is being sued by somebody. Even if the model agrees all the terms and signs the contract, she may sue our a$$ off for whatever reason. Until we can make sure how to cover our a$$, we can have a permanent establishment here.

She tried to book a hotel for a permanent makeup event. The hotel replied that they were afraid of being sued if something goes wrong. There was no such event held there so they couldn't take the risk.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a vacation/extended leave from your job and work with your partner as a consultant or contractor for a month or so to test the waters. See how you can adjust to the culture, lifestyle, and distance from home. That should determine whether or not this will work out for you.
I understand. Some of my friends told me although she is my very good friend, when work together there could be some argument or something you can stand each other. But I'm optimistic. One of my plans is to work for her for 3 months to test the water. Come back, then decide again.

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
My opinion: All in or all out.

Don't go in with an escape plan because it will guarantee your failure. Ask her for her businesses financial statement.

If she refuses, pass. If she gives them to you, pay to have an Accountant in that field analyze them for accuracy, profitability and liability.

If they show "An acceptable level of risk" I say roll the dice IF your future wife backs your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I am 38 this year. I got my business master's degree in 2003. I spent most of my adult life in Hong Kong before moving to NY for good. Then I completely adopted the American way of life. However, it's easy for me to adjust. It's not like going to India or Dubai where I have no friend and I don't know the languages.

I can always adjust my life style in the US. But a job that can only afford my rent, utilities, and food at this age is not what I expect.

I don't like the culture in Hong Kong but I don't hate it too much. For China? It's a big Sxxxhole. Not everyone agrees, but it's a real big sxxxhole to me. I never want to stay there. It's all because of money. Good thing is I have many good friends in Hong Kong and my fiance has a place there so I can live there without paying super high rent there.
No, it isn't and I can't see job opportunities getting much better here for several years, at least, and that's in metro NY which is doing better than many areas of the country. I have no international business experience other than buying beer from someone in Belgium, but so many companies do business with China that I have to believe that more experience there along with a masters in business could only help your career when you decide to return.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Good luck bro... follow your heart.. that's all i'm saying... you only live once... be happy!

stupid question, you're a LIF member, I assume you have some firearm... what will you do with them? can you bring to china? or any other country you'll go? if not...

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Is your friend offering you a piece of the business or at least some stock options? If you can get a piece of the business and your fiance is already there, I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck bro... follow your heart.. that's all i'm saying... you only live once... be happy!

stupid question, you're a LIF member, I assume you have some firearm... what will you do with them? can you bring to china? or any other country you'll go? if not...
That's one of many reasons I want to keep the existing apartment. My collection of rifles will stay here, secured. Actually it's Hong Kong not China, but both places don't allow private firearm ownership (or close to impossible to get a permit). In Hong Kong there's only one gun club. You'll need two existing members to recommend you to be a new member, plus a membership fee. Handguns needs to be locked in the club all the time. There's a trap range. The only shotgun allowed is double barrel break action. You may take the shotgun with you back home, but without ammo. I don't think they allow any rifle ownership. 99.9% civilians have never touched a firearm there.

And I still want to buy more milsurp rifles now and in the future. I expect to come home every few months during this period. Anyway, my family members in NY can come to the apartment and check regularly.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
As they say in Texas Hold Em...........All in!

Sounded like you want to do it so go for it. If it doesn't work out no big deal. Most successful people have major failures in their lives yet get up, dust themselves off and try something else. This might be right move for you at this time of your life. Good luck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.