Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SASI will be sponsoring it's annual Youth Shoot, for all boys and girls, ages 12~17, on Saturday, April 11th, at Old Bethpage R&P Club, located at 70 Kean St., West Babylon. The event also qualifies for the BSA Rifle Merit Badge, for those attendees who are Boy Scouts.
There are no costs to the attendees, although preregistration is required. The class is limited, to 39 youngsters and fills, to capacity, every year. So, get your registration forms completed and submitted, as soon as possible. The registration form is attached, as a PDF and MUST BE notarized. Attendees are expected to arrive not later than 8:45am, after having had a substantial breakfast, at home.
All equipment will be provided, at no cost, as will lunch and soft drinks.
The morning will be spent in the classroom, taking a basic firearms safety course, after which a lunch, consisting of pizza and soft drinks, will be served. After lunch, the youngsters will return to the classroom, after which they will be brought downstairs, to the range, in groups of 13, for one-on-one, hands-on shooting instruction, with experienced instructors.
The participants will be able to take home their targets, their ear plugs and a course completion certificate.

PM me, with any questions. Thanks.
Gary

Attachments

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
Really nice Gary!

·
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Folks:
We can use some help, for through-the-day and end-of-day cleanup, if anyone would like to volunteer. We can offer you a sumptious breakfast, of donuts and coffee/tea/soda and an haute cuisine lunch of pizza and soft drinks, plus a Certificate of Appreciation, from SASI. If interested, please PM me.
Gary

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Are there still openings?

·
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long is the event and what do the parents do while their child participates? Thanks...
There are still openings. The parents merely drop the youngsters off, then leave. The youngsters spend the morning, from 9am, until noon, in the classroom, taking a youngster-friendly version of the NRA basic firearms safety course. After that, we feed tham a lunch of pizza and soft drinks. After lunch, we send them back up to the classroom. Then, we take them, downstairs, to the range, in groups of 13, for one-on-one, hands-on rifle shooting, with bolt-action, iron-sighted .22s, under the direct care and supervision of experienced instructors. The children will be finished, anywhere from 2pm~4pm, depending on the ralay in which they shoot. They can call their parent/guardian/adult pick-up person, when they are heading for the range, knowing that that portion will take 20~40 minutes, per relay.

We provide all the rifles, ammo, food, soft drinks, ear plugs, shooting glasses, targets and anything else needed. The youngsters get to take home their targets and ear plugs. No one should bring a rifle to this event. We use only those which we have tested and sighted. We have right- and lef-handed rifles, as well as various sizes and weights of rifles, to accomodate the various sizes of youngsters.

The most important part, for the parents/guardians, is the cost: NOTHING. SASI and Old Bethpage R&P Club cover the cost of everything.

If you have or know of any interested boys or girls, get the required form completed, then sent to the address indicated thereon. This event has been sold out, every year and we fill the spaces, on a first-come, first-registered basis. We overbook, each year, knowing there will always be some last minute dropouts.

·
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the scouts receive the rifle merit badge at the end of the day? I will forward it to our Scoutmaster to put out to the Troop.
The scouts have to bring a BSA Blue Card, which one of our staff will be qualified to sign off on, afte the scout has successfully completed the ocurse. Those cards are submitted to BSA, which issues the badges, through the troop SMs, who determine the when,where and how of presenting, according to their troop's award policies.
Gary

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Ok. Bringing my daughter and I'll volunteer if you can still use a pair of hands.

·
Premium Member
9,507 Posts
I'm working until around noon that day. Happy to head over for second half of the day if I can be useful.
Your welcome to my youth .22 again if you want it.

·
6,600 Posts
I'm working until around noon that day. Happy to head over for second half of the day if I can be useful.
Your welcome to my youth .22 again if you want it.
If you show up, after noon, we just can't feed you breakfast. Other than that, your help and your youth rifle are very welcome. Can you get the rifle to one of the other folks, who are arriving earlier, so that we can get it sighted, in the am, before the kids shoot? Also, it should be marked, in some way, to indentify that it is your rifle. That way, we don't have any potential for anyone accidentally taking home the wrong rifle. It's happened, only to have to be corrected, later.
Gary

edited, to fix a typo.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,919 Posts
I wish the Girl Scouts had a shooting badge, I know my daughters would love it if they could get that.
Venturing (Coed program of BSA) has such an award, some of the kids in my Crew have earned it. I get more than a few Girl Scouts joining Venturing because too many GS Troops don't camp, hike or shoot

·
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Venturing (Coed program of BSA) has such an award, some of the kids in my Crew have earned it. I get more than a few Girl Scouts joining Venturing because too many GS Troops don't camp, hike or shoot
Bill:
I'm not familiar with the Venturing Program. Can they use our program, to earn their badge?
Gary

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,919 Posts
Bill:
I'm not familiar with the Venturing Program. Can they use our program, to earn their badge?
Gary
For part of it, the Shooting Sports segment of the Ranger Award calls for a lot of stuff, Small Bore rifle can be used for part of it

1. Recite, explain, and demonstrate the three primary shooting safety rules.
    2. Recite and explain the range commands.
    3. Identify the parts of a pistol, rifle, or bow (whichever one you select) and explain the function of those parts.
    4. If you chose air pistol, air rifle, muzzle-loading rifle, pistol, or small-bore rifle for your shooting discipline, explain how "minute of angle" is used to "zero" the airgun or firearm.
    5. If you chose muzzle-loading rifle as your shooting discipline, recite the proper steps for loading a muzzle-loading rifle and the proper sequence of firing the shot. Explain each step.
    6. If you chose archery as your shooting discipline, recite and explain the nine steps to the 10 ring.
    7. If you chose shotgun as your shooting discipline, explain how you sight a shotgun differently than you would a rifle.
  1. Complete a basic training course and the course of fire for one of the following shooting disciplines: 2(a), (
    , (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g).
    (Restrictions: Telescopic sights, electronic sights, and laser sights are prohibited in all disciplines except archery.)
    For this elective, shooting must be under the supervision of a certified instructor/coach and with equipment approved by that instructor.
  1. Small Bore Rifle
    • Sporter Course: Using six A17 targets, shoot one shot at each record bull from a distance of 50 feet for a total of 60 shots. Of the 60 shots, you must shoot 20 shots in each position-prone, standing (off-hand), and kneeling. You must score 225 of a possible 600. (you may use any .22 rifle with a maximum retail value of $235.)
      OR
    • Precision Course: Using six A36 targets, shoot one shot at each record bull from a distance of 50 feet for a total of 60 shots. Of the 60 shots, shoot 20 shots in each position-prone, standing (offhand), and kneeling. You must score 420 of a possible 600. (You may use any.22 rifle.)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.