Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Andy Won't Sign Budget Unless It Includes Sweeping Ethics Changes....What?

1K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  phillysteak527 
#1 ·
So Il Duce has decided he won't sign the state budget unless there are sweeping ethics reform in the state legislature......what? Didn't he shut down the Moreland commission who's task it was to do just that?? Root out corruption??

I guess once the guys he was protecting by shutting the commission down are arrested anyway, jump back on the bandwagon.

Ethics dare by Cuomo
Gov. Cuomo is declaring war on the corruption-scarred Legislature, demanding that lawmakers enact a sweeping package of ethics reforms - and threatening to hold the state budget hostage if they don't.

"I will not sign a budget that does not have an ethics plan as outlined in my proposal," Cuomo vowed on Monday, using the biggest weapon at his disposal. "This, in all probability, means we will not have a fifth, on-time, amicable budget."

The dramatic vow, made during a speech at NYU Law School, came 11 months after Cuomo abruptly shut down his own corruption-probing Moreland Commission panel and 11 days after federal agents busted now-former Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver on corruption charges.

Bronx Assemblyman Carl Heastie (pictured), who could be sworn in as Silver's replacement as early as Tuesday, tried to get in front of the ethics issue Monday by recommending reforms of his own, including restrictions on outside income and possibly making lawmakers' jobs full-time.

Heastie also suggested tighter controls on per-diem payments - even though he had the third-highest per-diem expense s in the Assembly.

Cuomo proposed a five-point reform plan.

"Number One. . . officials will have to disclose to the public all the outside income they receive from whom, for what, and whether there is any connection to the state government or the office that they hold," he said.

Silver has been charged, in part, for allegedly failing to report some outside income and for doing no work for millions of dollars he received from the law firm of Weitz & Luxenberg.

Cuomo also demanded that officials convicted of corruption forfeit their pensions; that per diems for travel expenses be more tightly controlled; that campaign funds be used only for campaigning under beefed-up disclosure rules; and that campaigns be publicly financed.

" We must be able to see the contributions and be able to follow the money," the governor said.

See less See more
#3 ·
Silver might end up getting off. It seems that big, bad fire in Crooklyn the other night was at the warehouse where NYC and the courts store ALL the records from court cases. It seems the firemen came and put it out, but then the darn thing reignited an hour or so later.

What are the chances ...

#4 ·
Cuomo demanding ethics... I must have woke up in bizarro land today.

Cuomo also demanded that officials convicted of corruption forfeit their pensions; that per diems for travel expenses be more tightly controlled; that campaign funds be used only for campaigning under beefed-up disclosure rules; and that campaigns be publicly financed.
I guess he's pretty confident that he won't get convicted. And the campaign rules, really convenient now that he doesn't have to run a campaign again. smh.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Step number one: Remove cuomo from office. He's the most corrupt dirt bag there is. I find it pretty funny that he's trying to pass anything related to ethics...I seem to recall an illegal vote at midnight that forced through unconstitutional legislation...with him at the helm. Oh oh, I forgot that corruption is okay if it increases your perceived political clout or if your last name is cuomo.

#7 ·
I would TOTALLY call his bluff and include reforms for the Governor as well, including:

Revealing all donors and sources of income
Make it illegal to use private cell phones, texts and emails for government and party business
Allow FOI requests apply to elected officials for all forms of communication.... Including personal phones, cells, IM, text, etc....
Make it illegal to have any calls, texts, IM's, emails, etc... Not recorded for elected officials, including the Governor, so that FOI requests can apply.
Remove the necessity clause for voting on bills.
Reveal all donations, trips, gifts, etc....

And create an ethics committee that will DOES NOT report to the Governor.

Did I leave anything out?

#8 ·
I would TOTALLY call his bluff and include reforms for the Governor as well!
Revealing all donors and sources of income
Make it illegal to use private cell phones, texts and emails for government and party business
Allow FOI requests apply to elected officials for all forms of communication.... Including personal phones, cells, IM, text, etc....
Make it illegal to have any calls, texts, IM's, emails, etc... Not recorded for elected officials, including the Governor, so that FOI requests can apply.
Remove the necessity clause for voting on bills.
Reveal all donations, trips, gifts, etc....

And create an ethics committee that will DOES NOT report to the Governor.

Did I leave anything out?
Naaah , you covered it all. Now, wake up and realize yuz in New Yawk.

#15 ·
Ok let's start with Cuomo open all your financial information for the past 10 years open every penny of the 30 million you got in campaign donations. Open those donors books and see what favors they got.

#17 ·
Do you feel they should push for the governor to disclose exactly how much income he received from the sale of all 5 copies of his book?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.