Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Analysis Of Safe Act Document Made For LEO

1K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  NiteOwl 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

Got this at work today, created by the County PBA. Please note it is a GUIDE and just their interpretations of the law. I take no responsibility for the contents, but wanted to share it.

View attachment 9549

#3 ·
This is news to me, I was told by the troopers, several FFL holders, my union and a few others that we are exempt from the registration while active. I will gladly sell everything I own before I register. Might be beefing up the Buy/Sell/Trade LEO area pretty soon if this is true!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Go to the SafeAct website: http://www.governor....eact/gun-reform

On the bottom right under Quick Links it says "Law Enforcement Exemptions" Click on that

then it says the following:

Law Enforcement Exemptions

The SAFE Act ensures that the men and women serving in law enforcement are able to carry out their duties. Law enforcement will continue to be able to possess assault weapons and high capacity magazines in order to protect New Yorkers. Law enforcement will also be able to possess those weapons and magazines where they are needed without limitation. Retired law enforcement will be subject to the same exemptions under federal law that existed before the SAFE Act."

I also found this :

The SAFE Act was recently amended. The amendments include the following changes to the law:

• Suspending the requirement that only magazines that can contain 7 rounds or less can be purchased. Going forward, magazines can be purchased that can contain up to 10 rounds. Magazines may only contain up to 7 rounds regardless of their capacity, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition, in which case you may load your magazine to its full capacity.
  • Clarifying that active law enforcement continues to be exempt from the prohibitions on the possession of high capacity magazines, assault weapons, and magazines containing more than 7 rounds, as well as the law prohibiting weapons on school grounds.
  • Ensuring that local safe storage laws are not preempted by the SAFE Act.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Id say the most important issue would be the registration, I am being told across the board that the document PDF you posted up is incorrect. I made a few phone calls after you first posted it and was told that it is 100% in correct in regards to the registration part but I cant find it in writing. Even Good old Gov Cuomos website seems to make it appear that ACTIVE guys are 100% completely exempt. It really wouldn't make any sense to have an ACTIVE LEO register. None the less, id say thats the big one.
Also, there is no sub 22, correct.

OH, btw, PGM888 is Paul too lol! Thats who I was directing my comment at originally when he replied "No Registration for Active LEO's"

#13 ·
Although I am against it, it does make sense for us to register, so they know where the guns are when we RETIRE . . . . they get you coming and going.

So, we need to find out where the registration part of the law is for active LEO's, and is there really a 265.00 sub 22? Maybe that sub was added in with the budget? I didn't check that part today.

#14 ·
I understand your opinion on why it would make sense for us to register, though I firmly disagree, not for stubborn reasons but because if we are exempt from every other aspect of the SafeAct it would only make sense that registration be included as well. Either way we need to figure this out for good and spread the right information so guys know. Myself, if registration is required, well Im selling everything that would require registration, hence why its pretty important to find this out. I cant find sub 22 anywhere.

#21 ·
I've read it over and over... You know I'm watching the bills going through the Senate and Assembly and I can't make much out of this nonsense... The new additions and amendments are very poorly written and half the crap is unenforceable.

Supposedly the documents for AW registration should start to me available on the 15th, or at least that's what we were originally told. I saw a bill (see my other post) saying that active had 60 days to register upon retiring so do you or don't you have to register?

I wouldn't be surprised if NYPD makes all the cops register what they have even if you don't have to register till retirement...

I'm really annoyed that I can't have a thumbhole stock and compensator on a freaking 22 rimfire!!!!!

#22 ·
NiteOwl, keep us informed of whatever you find out. If they say 60 days upon retirement I would imagine that you don't have to register until then, but who knows?

As for the Job making a registry, given todays job, it would make sense to them, but I spoke with someone a few weeks ago who would be the person to make that type of registry for the job/control it and I was told they want nothing to do with it. So at this point thats a non issue.

#23 ·
Come Monday we're loading 7 rounds, I swear that every armored car driver in this state should refuse to go out.... For the most part I carry a 380 so it really doesn't bother me much, going to the range with the full size guns I'll take my chances, same at home....

You know as well as I do that NYPD is paranoid! You know as well as I do that the first time a cop does something in their personal life with a scary black pistol gripped gun (or a Ruger 22 with a thumbhole stock) that someone in 1 Puzzle Palace will get the bright idea that they need to know who has what....

#35 ·
They can pass any crap law they want. My entire family will be relocating to a free state soon.

Eat that Cuomo the clown !

#36 ·
AN ACT to amend the penal law, in relation to exempting qualified
retired law enforcement officers from certain limitations related to
the possession of firearms
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM
BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

S 3. Subdivision 16-a of section 400.00 of the penal law is amended by
adding a new paragraph (a-1) to read as follows:

(A-1) NOTWITHSTANDING ANY INCONSISTENT PROVISIONS OF PARAGRAPH (A) OF
THIS SUBDIVISION, AN OWNER OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVI
SION TWENTY-TWO OF SECTION 265.00 OF THIS CHAPTER, WHO IS A QUALIFIED
RETIRED NEW YORK OR FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER AS DEFINED IN SUBDI
VISION TWENTY-FIVE OF SECTION 265.00 OF THIS CHAPTER, WHERE SUCH WEAPON
WAS ISSUED TO OR PURCHASED BY SUCH OFFICER PRIOR TO RETIREMENT AND IN
THE COURSE OF HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES, AND FOR WHICH SUCH OFFICER WAS
QUALIFIED BY THE AGENCY THAT EMPLOYED SUCH OFFICER WITHIN TWELVE MONTHS
PRIOR TO HIS OR HER RETIREMENT, MUST REGISTER SUCH WEAPON WITHIN SIXTY
DAYS OF RETIREMENT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.