Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle recently got an Arisaka rifle. I do not know much about it but he asked me a question over the weekend.....how hard is it to get ammo for it? He said something like "7.7 Jap ammo" is that right? Also, for what ever reason, he says the bolt needs to be replaced. He can mail order a new bolt around 65 bucks.....is there a local source for the bolt and ammo?

Thanks

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Ammo is not difficult to get but a little pricey. Getting a new bolt would concern me with head space issues, a gunsmith would be a good way to go here.

·
-1 Arisaka Type 99
1,516 Posts
I usually get my ammo from Graf and Sons, but they've been sold out recently. It's usually about $28 (before tax and shipping) for a box of 20 rounds. You're better off reloading if you want to shoot it often. If it's an older rifle, you can probably get away with getting a bolt from online. Last ditch rifles, however, are sketchy and probably shouldn't be fired anyway. However, Bill's suggestion is what I would go with. Speak to a professional, which I am not.

7.7x58mm Japanese (7.7 Jap) is the ammo for the Arisaka Type 99. Also popular is the type 38, which is a different caliber. There is no local source for parts or ammo, as far as I can tell. I've called many shops on the island and none of them carry it, but they may be able to order it for you. The best suggestion for ammo is to reload. You can use British .303 bullets and shave down 30-06 brass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.